Got Lift, now what? Transmission jack, oil catcher, ????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
Got a screaming deal on a two post bendpak lift. Got it installed, and it has been great so far.

So, now what accessories do I need?

Thinking a tranny jack would be good. Any brand recommended? Found this on ebay.

1100lbs Transmission Jack 2 Stage Hydraulic w/ 360° for car lift / auto lift | eBay

what to do to catch oil?

I don't have tons of space in my shop, so I don't want 5 different things, so if there is a multi purpose item, I would prefer it.

Thanks,

I have a transmission jack if you want to borrow it. Somewhat of a pain to store a unitasker tool. They make an adapter for your floor jack that works just about as well. But since you might be doing this at shoulder height.. you are on your own! Only issue i have had with a transmission jack on a landcruiser is the jacks are designed for rear wheel drive regular transmissions. the tcase clocks them counterclockwise and takes a bit to orient them straight on the jack. Blocks and ratchet straps are your friend. Just about as easy to use an engine hoist inside the cab and lift it from the floor. Wish I had your real world problems..

A transmission jack is awfully handy, if you're removing or installing transmissions and transfer cases.

When I bought my lift (new), they gave me a good deal on any other accessories I wanted to buy at the same time. One of the things I bought was this 8-gallon drain pan, made for a lift: Dannmar 8-Gallon Upright Portable Oil Drain - Model: DO-8

A transmission jack is awfully handy, if you're removing or installing transmissions and transfer cases.

When I bought my lift (new), they gave me a good deal on any other accessories I wanted to buy at the same time. One of the things I bought was this 8-gallon drain pan, made for a lift: Dannmar 8-Gallon Upright Portable Oil Drain - Model: DO-8

That looks like better quality that the harbor freight one.

A couple under lift stands have come in handy with the lifts I have used (including the lift in my current garage). Stands help with spring swaps, exhaust work and when stabilizing a longer vehicle.

Nick

A couple under lift stands have come in handy with the lifts I have used (including the lift in my current garage). Stands help with spring swaps, exhaust work and when stabilizing a longer vehicle.

Nick
Any suggested brands or sources?

That looks like better quality that the harbor freight one.

Yeah, pretty much anything is better than Horrible Fright. :)

Any suggested brands or sources?
For underlift stands I have a Sunnex with a foot pedal. My brother has several Harbor Freight stands that are pretty decent. We used the HF stands to replace the wood beam running down the center of his basement with a steel beam. We used 4 to hold up 1/3 of the house at a time so I'm pretty sure they can hold up an axle or exhaust pipe or whatever while I'm doing something on the lift. You can Google for sources, other brands and "bests".

I second the HF under lift safety/assist stands. Nothing wrong with them.

Eric

This weekend I decided to try some LED strip lights on the post ... worked out great. Not too bright that it blinds you, and added lots of light under the car
IMG_8543.JPG
IMG_8544.JPG

oh........
in+floor+lights1337346719.jpg

Kept having the tranny lift not quite reach the tranny, so we would lower the car down, then crouch down and bang our head, so I added an extension to the lift. Found some scrap steel about the right size, tapped and put some bolts on. Works much better now, except starting point -- where you have to lift the tranny up to is much higher too.
pics.jpg
pic1.jpg

Got a screaming deal on a two post bendpak lift. Got it installed, and it has been great so far.

So, now what accessories do I need?

Thinking a tranny jack would be good. Any brand recommended? Found this on ebay.

1100lbs Transmission Jack 2 Stage Hydraulic w/ 360° for car lift / auto lift | eBay

what to do to catch oil?

I don't have tons of space in my shop, so I don't want 5 different things, so if there is a multi purpose item, I would prefer it.

Thanks,

@2fpower which bendpak did you get. I was just looking at them on the Northern freight site.

Go to auctions!!! Garages go out of business all the time! I bought my air over hydraulic tranny jack for 300.00 ! Told by the owners it was over 2000.00 new bought some under vehicle tall screw jacks for 100.00 for four . There our there just be patient and look at auction sites!

@2fpower nice touch with the led lights , I’ll have to look into that. I currently use a portable and it’s pretty good but some places are hard to find a hanger for it.

Simple scrap steel comes in handy for custom jigs. I keep a 5 gallon pail of all shorts of pieces.

Pulled the transfer case on the wife's truck as well as the front axel.
1ALDxadjRBCH7eeD9lrfPw.jpg

aWLtcSAZS%y0ZBjorJG9Og.jpg
3MRND8YySByJRTXIACHTZA.jpg

The simple jig supported the T-case in the mounted attitude, reinstalling was effortless with all holes lining up. The imported jack is a two stage that reaches 72".
XwT2afzETuSXzpmy76rhsw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom