Insulating storage shed that will be lived in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How would I go about insulating a pre built storage shed roof. The building is going to be turned into a tiny home. It has end cap vents.

shed.jpg

shed1.jpg

The best insulation will be spray foam walls and ceiling sealed with no vents. What is your plan for the floor and what part of the country is the building?

Haven't decided what to do with the floor yet. Was thinking to raise it a couple inches to put plumbing in floor and insulate. Spray foam is not an option (cost average $2700). Zip Code 99018

Haven't decided what to do with the floor yet. Was thinking to raise it a couple inches to put plumbing in floor and insulate. Spray foam is not an option (cost average $2700). Zip Code 99018

Then fiberglass batts for cost saving.

Craft paper covered batts? Should I close the vents and vault the ceiling or insulate and put in an 8' ceiling leaving the vents open? Never insulated a roof before worried about moisture/mold.

I getting out of my comfort zone when it comes to moisture & mold with fiberglass being from the the South west. Talk with your local builders for all choices in your area. Sorry not much help.

As phil said, spray foam is the best option, buy once and cry once. Then you can leave the ceiling open like it is.

Insulating a place is not as simple as putting in bats and calling it good. As a general rule, conditioned space should be surrounded by insulation. However you have an open ceiling, which complicates things greatly. If you don't spray foam, you will need to put up celing joist, and insulate those cavities,put in gable vents, and make the roof a "cold" roof to take care of the moisture. Otherwise your warm moist air will hit the cold roof and condense and create moisture problems.

When I saw just the title to this thread, before I read it - I thought, "I hope we don't hear about this on the evening news some time in the future." :eek:

Honestly, that cost will be paid back in a few years of heating bills. The spray foam will virtually eliminate any issues with drafts, mold, and will also provide a much higher R-value than batt insulation for the same thickness. You want that place as insulated and sealed as possible as it won’t have the thermal mass of a larger building. Along with that, I’m hoping you plan to replace those windows. The shed windows are for appearance and likely not insulated or sealed.

Easy and cheap option is frame a flat ceiling with gable vents or frame a vault with room to breath with soffit vents, install craft faced insulation and Sheetrock.

Use some sort of radiant heat so when the doors open for access to structure you have minimal heat loss as the material will be heated as apossed to forced air. As said above check the windows R-value and double pane glass.

Foam is great but expensive. I gotta ask is this an occasionally lived in space or you kicking your 23 year old kid out the house haha.

Another way to lessen the cost of foam is have them spray a thin layer in the cavity and install bat insulation yourself.

That stuff glues the building together..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom