How bad is hood glare with roof mount led? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The title says it all really. How bad is the hood glare with a roof mount light bar? I have a dark green 80 and the hood has the clear coat pealed off. So for now it is almost a flat black. If i moumted a 40 or 42" light bar on my gamaviti rack how much of a problem is the glare?

Never bothered me much on my silver truck.
With a dirty windscreen was more annoying.

Having lights up high is nice at times. In tall grass, brush, water crossing, really low fog, snow drifts, etc.
Not very nice for rain, falling/blowing snow and fog higher than your hood.

Keeping closer to the front of the roof is nicer.

Reactions: RFB
I've got a 42" light bar mounted on my roof and glare isn't really an issue on the hood however my brush bar mounted antennae glows like its electrified. :)

I don't have a roof bar (yet) but I think I would just order a sheet of the appropriate plastic material and make a shield for the bottom. Just a strip really, attached with some UHB tape.

It depends exactly where you mount them...

Find something straight about 6' long, and rest it from the hood to the roof, so it hangs over the roof some. If you mount the lights ABOVE (forward of) that line, they'll shine on the hood. If you mount them BELOW (behind) that line, they won't.

Your location isn't in your profile, but your avatar makes it look like you wheel in the desert. I only lived out there for a few months - all my wheeling is in forests, so things sticking up above the roof get ripped off. I keep my lights low, and in FRONT of me. But with the headlights I have now, the only aux lights I need are under my side mirrors.

I've found that less than 12" back from the windshield, on top of my Prinsu rack, I get horrible windshield glare. At 12" all the glare is gone. I've not seen any glare on my black hood. That said, I'd put as much light low as you can before going high. We aren't going to overdrive our lights on most runs with these trucks and the low light shows terrain changes better than high lights plus the branches and such don't interfere with low mounted lights. Alternatively, get a light bar that you can easily rotate or remove to stow when not needed.

doesn't bother me any. I don't really notice it and it's not that bright

Personally don't like my hood light period not just for glare. I also wheel in the forest and low limbs are common.

I get a fair bit of glare from mine, a fair bit on a white hood, I'm thinking about painting the hood black at some point for this reason.

If you put a LED light bar overhead, I'd reccomend getting a spot light style, not the wide beam or combination for this reason.

Edit: mines a 42" curved mounted on the roof rack right near the wind screen for reference.

Last edited:
You get a little bit of glare but nothing too drastic, I don't even notice it half the time.

Well i picked up a 40" single row Morimoto from 2000UZJ. He couldn't have been better to deal with. I have not installed it but i am really impressed with the feeling of quality from just looking at it. The price point is really right where i had in mind. I really didnt want to spend $800 on this. It just was not that important to me in the big scope of how often i want the extra light. But i also really didnt want $50 ebay crap. I think the Morimoto fits very nicle into nice high quality with a 10 year warranty and a real vender located in the US that you can reach. Now i will admit that it is not installed yet, so this is a little premature. I will say the harness retails for $30. Just going of the feel of the switches, thickness of wires, gaskets on relays, abrasion coating on wires and so on it is nicer than my slee harness and costs less. I cant attest to things like longterm use but the harness and switch has me thinking of replacing my slee harness just so it all matches and looks nice under the hood with matching switches in the dash.

With how tall I am, I can see a good bit of my hood. Because it's white, I decided to plastidip the hood black. It made a big difference for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom