Builds "Dumpie" my new Fj45 work truck! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_3505.JPG
IMG_3484.JPG
IMG_3509.JPG
JP,
got real lucky with this one. A big bounus is the original Koito Headlights. I've been looking for a set for My 65. So........Sage has some new eyeballs...........I'll keep them on Sage since she gets less mileage. I thought about just putting them on a shelf. The glass is so clear on the early headlights.

Mark........

IMG_4803.JPG
IMG_5238.JPG
IMG_5239.JPG
Well, been a while and dumpie ended up with some stuck valves( old gas turned to glue once it was up to full operating temp) so it went under the knife and I rebuilt the head. Cylinders are all clean, decarbonized everything, new carb etc. It runs great now, but after cleaning out the clutch, presure plate( mice had made a home in there) the clutch is slipping so it will need replacement. I did load up its first dump run!

You diggin that dump bed??

Congrats on keeping it. What symptoms did it get before you pulled the head? A 40 i got running a few months ago started running poorly, so i wonder if i am in the same boat

It actually ran fine when I shut it down. The next morning, upon start up, all the exhaust valves stuck and it bent a few pushrods. The old fuel and the carbon on the ex valves turned to thick glue once heated and cooled. I couldn't even pound the valves out with a hammer! I had to heat the head with a torch and they came right out.

Nice find.

I'm going to do a 3-way dump with mine what hydraulic pump are you using? I'm tjinknof using the inimitable pump but they are expensive so options are welcome.

Saw this posted a while back.
Has anyone converted a 45 bed to hydraulic dump bed? I have a 79 HJ45.

Well, I guess the saying is “come full circle”. Dumpie has found its way back home to my driveway! Guess it was meant to be. A very sad Dumpie, but shall rise from the ashes. This will be an interesting journey as I have never dealt with a burnt vehicle. Pretty much anything rubber, plastic, or glass is gone. I am not sure which way to go as so many hard to find bits are destroyed, guess I should have squirreled away all those 45 parts I used to have! Right now , I need to get it torn down and maybe blast and prime all the sheet metal before winter hits and get it into primer. All in all, it is quite solid and only shows a little roof and hood warpage, it didn’t get hot enough to melt the tires, so Pretty sure things will clean up ok. Dumpie only had a small rust hole on the pass floor, so it’s super rust free west coast 45.
A2D41C07-839D-4881-8EEF-A0AE71088C7A.jpeg
D37D422F-F6B4-43EA-9C27-EFAD96E8A209.jpeg

Ah.....good stories to be told at the 45 run!
Looking forward to hearing more!

Campfire Cruiser

I’m kicking around the idea of a green goblin replica!!! Ever since I sold it my son has been after me and tells me he is going to find it and buy it back when he is older( last I heard it went to Europe) I have the majority of the drivetrain already🙄😬
C5BFACE5-5A06-4978-A93B-92BB4DE03C88.png

Well, I guess the saying is “come full circle”. Dumpie has found its way back home to my driveway! Guess it was meant to be. A very sad Dumpie, but shall rise from the ashes. This will be an interesting journey as I have never dealt with a burnt vehicle. Pretty much anything rubber, plastic, or glass is gone. I am not sure which way to go as so many hard to find bits are destroyed, guess I should have squirreled away all those 45 parts I used to have! Right now , I need to get it torn down and maybe blast and prime all the sheet metal before winter hits and get it into primer. All in all, it is quite solid and only shows a little roof and hood warpage, it didn’t get hot enough to melt the tires, so Pretty sure things will clean up ok. Dumpie only had a small rust hole on the pass floor, so it’s super rust free west coast 45. View attachment 2070895View attachment 2070897
When we burn off racks and parts in our burn off oven, it runs at 750°. That temp would roast the tires. Since heat rises, perhaps the roof saw more but to me it looks like you have a properly burned off paint job. The residue will be pretty basic (as in not acidic) so it should help resist rusting. The tricks will be getting the ash off - soda blast might be best. Second is re- seam sealing all the joints.

You know what you are doing, you'll be fine.

If you do have metal prep questions, shoot me a pm

When we burn off racks and parts in our burn off oven, it runs at 750°. That temp would roast the tires. Since heat rises, perhaps the roof saw more but to me it looks like you have a properly burned off paint job. The residue will be pretty basic (as in not acidic) so it should help resist rusting. The tricks will be getting the ash off - soda blast might be best. Second is re- seam sealing all the joints.

You know what you are doing, you'll be fine.

If you do have metal prep questions, shoot me a pm
"shoot me a pm", that's not fair! Okay, it's fair, but be sure to keep us in the loop.

"shoot me a pm", that's not fair! Okay, it's fair, but be sure to keep us in the loop.
Haha, sorry. It's not exclusive content or anything. My knowledge base is a short read anyway :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom