97 Cruiser .. Need some help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

For the love of all that is holy ... can someone please tell me if/where this should plug into? It's in the drivers side footwell, near the fuel door release.

I asked before and get breadcrumbs like"take the panel off below the steering wheel". I did that, and the panel off above it too. Below just shows me a metal plate similar to the panel I just took off and above doesn't show me much either. I do not see and huge empty connector just hanging there ...

I'm rushing things to get this inspected in PA so I can use it for business deliveries for a few weeks, but the OBDII port is dead and that's a FAIL. Not sure if this has any direct connection to it or not, just looking for some definitive help.

Get the FSM EWD manual and track it down.

The Toyotas have a number of harnesses under there that are unused. Look for a mating plug under there. If there's not one, then you may not need one.

What year is your truck? You mention OBD2, but it may NOT be required if it's a 95 or older, but the truck MAY have wiring for it.

Maybe a photo or two of WHERE you are seeing this plug. It does look similar to the main plug on the high side of the driver's kick plate that may attach to the transmission module. However, if that one is unhooked, your truck won't run.

The folks here generally help a LOT, try not to get snarky.

As far as the FSM, search for "FSM for a Hell of a Price" and you should get what you need.

Also, do some searches for the PIN-7 mod, as there are many pics of that area of the kick panel that MAY give you a clue where it attaches.

Also, there is a NUMBER molded into the plug. Track that down and then the EWD and you will know what it goes to.

Sorry .. a few beers deep in a humid 90* garage working on things ... it's a 97 Cruiser. I have the FSM online from Trollhole, currently at page 766 of 1399. Been skimming every page looking for the related connector. Someone here that is intimate with their Cruiser must know where this goes. Hard to believe Toyo made a plug with that many pins to go nowhere.

I'm trying not to be snarky, I've asked maybe 8-10 questions over 4-5 threads and get nothing but crickets. Just different then other car forums I have belonged to.

I will circle back to the 7-pin mod threads you mentioned and see if I can spot it as well as look for the number on the connector and take some other pics.

Sorry, I can't read either. You stated 97 in the title........DUH!

Seriously, it may NOT be used.

I just removed my factory alarm system, then installed a re-purposed hazard switch as a CDL switch, so I did the PIN-7 mod while I was there. I had the bottom side of the dash tore apart and replaced the steering shaft seal, so I decided to do all of it at once.

I removed the front seat. 4 bolts and it opens a TON of room to do this. Well worth the few minutes to take it out. I'm old AND fat, so it's a necessity for me to do extra. You can lay on the floor with your feet on the back seat and your head under the dash.

The plug in the picture looks non-factory to me.

All Toyota plugs have some type of secondary lock mechanism for the pins. Yours looks like a Molex plug, possibly from an aftermarket alarm.

That is NOT a factory connector.

Hopefully this was the right answer! I dont think I have one of those on my 95 :)

Also, if you are looking for the service manuals check out rock auto, I got mine brand new for $35! (had to wait for media mail tho...)

If CDan has spoken, it is truth. Now you can stop looking.

I had a plug like this too, it was installed by a dodgy PO or electrician. It is either an old alarm/immobilizer harness or (as I had) a multi control mech that did alarm,immob,wiper control and cruise control.
Sometimes people do this when there steering controls go a bit faulty in the wiring harness so they bypass to a new control board (what that plug likely plugged into). If all your steering column, ignition and wipers are working fine then ignore it, it means someone was smart enough to yank it

Thanks guys ... I will disregard that plug and continue to backtrack now to try and find why the OBD port is non-functional (or seems that way) since it won't power up my scan tool.

Super, super stupid question: You do have the key to ON when you have the scan tool plugged in, right?

I'm getting older and forget $h1t like that!

Super, super stupid question: You do have the key to ON when you have the scan tool plugged in, right?

I'm getting older and forget $h1t like that!

Yes ... plugged in. Confirmed that the wires are correct on the OBD too. Will check power to the port today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom