Icelandic FJ150s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to run the dirt roads (F-Roads) in Iceland with a good friend in late July. It's only a 3 day layover so am wondering if anyone would recommend a stock FJ150 Land Cruiser for their offroad-only "roads" (technically just light paths kinda like American logging roads). Or if it's just worth spending half the price and renting out a Rav4 or cheaper.
There are F-roads in Iceland that are essentially like winter wheeling all year round and only two rental companies lets you go there. They're are also $1200 per day rentals of 38 inch hiluxes / FJ76s. Don't think we'd be doing that especially since she doesn't actually drive offroad. And I'm taking a rental in dangerous situations inanother country.

But I do enjoy the potential of driving an FJ150 being from Canada and only getting those Lexus equivalent. I have a regular FJ80 so am not sure if it's worth the time and effort.

Anyway, I'm going to toss a thread up on this in case anyone has experience with easy F-class roads or Icelandic FJs in general. And will update this thread as we go on.

interesting questions. ill be there with a d110. i have heard that going off trail can get you in huge trouble out there.

So the issue is that it's only a layover of 3 days. I'm also going with a person who doesn't really know what they're doing when off roading so spending $900 a day (yes that's USD) to rent a Hilux / J76 to go on the glaciers isn't going to be fully worth it with her.

It'll definitely be worth it after a few more winter adventures at home since some of the trails there (even in the summer) will get harsh even for a Hilux on 38s.

Then maybe getting 3 or 4 people in an FJ76 for 3 days would be worth it if I'm not the only one who capable doing potential recovery.

Anyway, arctic trucks is the company that serves, builds, and maintains the snow wheelers in Russia, Scandinavia, and (I think) Canada. See their Iceland page here

Arctic Trucks

i have heard that going off trail can get you in huge trouble out there.
Yes. Icelandic, scandanavian, and north Canadian parks' taiga ground is protected by some arctic treaty. There's this layer of frost, Moss, dirt, and rock living in delicate equilibrium and even stepping on it can set it's growth back by multiple years.

That being said, the trails there are plentiful in Iceland due to the lack of forests (unlike in other scandanavian countries)

I'm looking at taking my family to Iceland on Saturday to Tuesday, any overlap with your plans?

Haven't looked at hotels or rentals or anything, just looking at flights right now. Standby with MYIDTravel out of O'Hare. If we can't find a rental car and hotel rooms, maybe we go somewhere else.

Where are you renting the car? I'm debating if it would be less crowded to go on Sunday night, arrive Monday leave Wednesday.

I'm now going to get there on Wednesday morning, leave Friday. I see the Suzuki is probably the cheaper 4x4ish option.

We got a Ford Kuga when we went, it's basically the overseas version of the new Escape.

Excellent car. Diesel motor, AWD, 6 speed stick shift, and heated seats/windows. My wife still asks me if we are allowed to import them hah.

Enjoy your trip! Lots to do and see in Iceland. Beautiful place for sure.

I used Blue rental car at Keflavik- got a D110 w/ snorkel, etc. for 5 days for ~$850, great service from them. They also have some lifted 150s for rent for similar prices, nothing too extreme but running 33s.

I rented this VW camper mini-van, great for my wife to snooze in the hour or so between things to see, she values her sleep. My son and I enjoyed the bleak scenery. It was really the perfect vehicle for all of us on this quick visit, we weren't headed off-gravel. We had plenty of room for our luggage, and the back seat had plenty of room and good view.

Wife was saying last night she'd like to go back in the winter, if so I'll be looking for more rugged transport. I've spent a lot of winters there.
20170726_132941.jpg
20170726_115307.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom