Filling a small hole without welding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
I know the proper way to fill this hole is to weld in a new piece of metal. Problem is, I don't have access to a welder. this small hole is on factory bows and I noticed it there after getting it media blasted.

Would you recommend filling the hole with a little jb stick weld epoxy, bondo, or solder? I know traditional welding is the correct thing to do, but I Need to get these things primered and painted pretty quickly.

IMG_0743.JPG

I know the proper way to fill this hole is to weld in a new piece of metal. Problem is, I don't have access to a welder. this small hole is on factory bows and I noticed it there after getting it media blasted.

Would you recommend filling the hole with a little jb stick weld epoxy, bondo, or solder? I know traditional welding is the correct thing to do, but I Need to get these things primered and painted pretty quickly.

View attachment 1516105

If it isnt painted yet, run it up to anywhere that has a welder with a dozen donuts. Nows the time to do it right.

Problem is, its not the only hole.
Same elevation as that out on the door seal area, right in the middle of that large pit is one...tiny now but still a hole.

The one you are concerned about is going through from the inside.
Fixable with weld? Yes very much but as soon as someone lights up on that, its going to open up to two or three times the size it is now.

Brian is right: There are more holes. Poke it with an awl to find the thin spots, cut them out and weld in a new strip. Otherwise you will be doing it over in a couple of years. This is a common place for rust on hard tops too.

A quick and easy fix is to thoroughly clean to bare metal of all rust ruff the area a bit then slightly dimple the hole inward. Cut a piece of metal window screen to fit into the dimple so that it is slightly below the area surrounding area of the dimple and pressing against the metal and covering the hole. Cover with a good body filler making sure the filler is worked into the hole and the screen. You might need two coats. Once the filler is set sand flush with surrounding metal and finish like you would normally do with body work

Get some rust killing liquid and slosh it around in there. Then solder it up.

Another idea is drill it round, screw in a screw that fits, with epoxy, then grind the screw flush.

If you can't weld, soldering is definitely an acceptable substitute for cosmetic things that don't require the same strength as welding. Body filler was all solder up until the mid 50s and maybe later. Don't just cut the end off because the tube extends up in there maybe 8 inches or more.

I've used epoxy putty for small holes and it seems to hold up where there is no stress. Believe it or not, the Harbor freight putty is good stuff. It comes in a plastic tube, cut off a small amount, kneed it for a couple of minutes, and work it in. It sets up in just a few minutes and sands easily and takes paint well.:hillbilly::meh:

Welding is best way in long haul, but I have had great results with JB Weld. Blue painters paint behind it works well, let dry sand flush, remove tape.................

I am going to say any good epoxy putty that is two part. I bet trying to weld it would ruin it. I bet the entire bottom is to compromised and welding would just make the hole bigger and bigger. Get some rust converter to put in the hole and try and stop any rust inside first.

I bet trying to weld it would ruin it. I bet the entire bottom is to compromised and welding would just make the hole bigger and bigger.

as we say when doing code work, grind till the defect goes away or you see the light of day.

Thanks everyone. All your feedback was very helpful!

But don't be confused, that por 15 product is just epoxy putty like JB Weld, it does nothing to stop rust like POR-15. I was hoping it did when I researched it. An epoxy putty with ability to pull all moisture out of rust to stop it would have been real cool.

But don't be confused, that por 15 product is just epoxy putty like JB Weld, it does nothing to stop rust like POR-15. I was hoping it did when I researched it. An epoxy putty with ability to pull all moisture out of rust to stop it would have been real cool.

I'm not confused and said nothing about it stopping rust. I've used it for about 25 years for just what I said, filling holes.

I'm not confused and said nothing about it stopping rust. I've used it for about 25 years for just what I said, filling holes.
I did not mean you were confused, just did not want the original poster to be confused. I have heard to many people talk about the por15 putty and think they can plop it down on top of rust and have it cure the rust and fill at the same time because of the por 15 name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom