Tire Pressure recommendation (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am running the Goodyear Duratrac in 285/70/17 on RW wheels.

All the charts that I have found and somewhat understand look as if 49psi is the correct pressure I should run.
I am stock, other than a Gobi roof rack.

The specs on the Duratracs are as follows -
Tire SizeLT285/70R17
Speed RatingQ
Load Index121
Load RangeD
Max Load (lbs)3195

I appreciate any advice.

I am running the Goodyear Duratrac in 285/70/17 on RW wheels.

All the charts that I have found and somewhat understand look as if 49psi is the correct pressure I should run.
I am stock, other than a Gobi roof rack.

The specs on the Duratracs are as follows -
Tire SizeLT285/70R17
Speed RatingQ
Load Index121
Load RangeD
Max Load (lbs)3195

I appreciate any advice.

The recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for LT285/70R17 tires on a 200 series LC is 40psi Front/Rear.

HTH

You're welcome!

Sensei, tire pressure for Hankook DynaPro ATM. 285/65/18?

The recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT285/65R18 122S tires on a LC200 is 42psi Front/Rear.

HTH

@gaijin, I believe you said 37psi is correct for 285/75R17. Can you confirm that? I noticed when towing that at 37psi I was very susceptible to trailer sway when being passed by fast moving cars and SUVs. Running at 42psi the sway was eliminated, though the ride is a bit bouncier. Wondering if this is to be expected?

Separately, I know folks air down on the trails. Is there a calculation for "minimum" safe operating pressure in low speed circumstances?

@gaijin, I believe you said 37psi is correct for 285/75R17. Can you confirm that? I noticed when towing that at 37psi I was very susceptible to trailer sway when being passed by fast moving cars and SUVs. Running at 42psi the sway was eliminated, though the ride is a bit bouncier. Wondering if this is to be expected?

Separately, I know folks air down on the trails. Is there a calculation for "minimum" safe operating pressure in low speed circumstances?

Yes, both the LT285/75R17 C 117/114Q and the LT285/75R17 E 121/118Q Nitto Ridge Geapplers on your LC200 have the same recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure - 37psi Front/Rear. If airing up to 42psi eliminates sway in your particular use case, then by all means use 42psi. You could run the C-Rated version of your tire up to 50psi Cold and the E-Rated version up to 80psi Cold with no harm.

Every time I post about airing down I seem to spawn a rash of critical posts citing the absurdity of my recommendation under some obscure set of unanticipated circumstances, but hey, that's the internet, right? Anyway, my personal rule of thumb is to air down to 50% tire pressure and use that as a starting point. This means, when you are on the trail and need to air down, measure the tire pressure and air down to 50% of that value. In your case, if your cold tire pressure is 37psi, then your hot pressure on the trail will probably be about 40psi - air down to 50% of that, or 20psi, as a starting point. Due to the myriad of external factors affecting optimum air down pressure, there is no formula for this, as far as I know. However, generally, the softer the terrain and/or the slower the speed, the lower one can safely go with the pressure. That said, because our rigs are heavy, and we do not have beadlock wheels, I cannot imagine a scenario where a 50% reduction in pressure would not get the job done.

HTH

Every time I post about airing down I seem to spawn a rash of critical posts citing the absurdity of my recommendation under some obscure set of unanticipated circumstances, but hey, that's the internet, right? Anyway, my personal rule of thumb is to air down to 50% tire pressure and use that as a starting point.

50%?!?! What are you talking about, that's insane dude!

:)

Thanks gaijin!

Hello and thanks for the information.

Can you recommend an air pressure for a stock 09 LC with Michelin LTX AT2 275/65 R18"s?

Darryl

Hello and thanks for the information.

Can you recommend an air pressure for a stock 09 LC with Michelin LTX AT2 275/65 R18"s?

Darryl

Sure. The recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT275/65R18's on your LC200 is 45psi Front/Rear.

HTH

Can someone advise what the recommended tire pressure for the 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grappler 2 should be--sidewall says max pressure 50--200LC door panel says 33 psi?!! WTH?

Can someone advise what the recommended tire pressure for the 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grappler 2 should be--sidewall says max pressure 50--200LC door panel says 33 psi?!! WTH?

Sure.

The recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT285/60R18 E 122/119S Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires on your LC200 is 46psi Front/Rear.

The sidewall should say something like, "Maximum Load 3305/3000 Lbs @ 80psi." Sidewall should not say "Max Pressure 50" as you stated. Please check the tire size again and whether it is an LT-Metric tire.

The sticker on the door panel states the correct pressure for the tire size stated on the door panel - P285/60R18 which is a P-Metric tire.

HTH

Sure.

The recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT285/60R18 E 122/119S Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires on your LC200 is 46psi Front/Rear.

The sidewall should say something like, "Maximum Load 3305/3000 Lbs @ 80psi." Sidewall should not say "Max Pressure 50" as you stated. Please check the tire size again and whether it is an LT-Metric tire.

The sticker on the door panel states the correct pressure for the tire size stated on the door panel - P285/60R18 which is a P-Metric tire.

HTH
What about my 285/65/18 Falken AT3W's

What about my 285/65/18 Falken AT3W's

The recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT285/65R18 E/10 125/122S Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W tires on a LC200 is 42psi Front/Rear.

HTH

50%?!?! What are you talking about, that's insane dude!

:)

Thanks gaijin!

Not actually insane. I ran my ridge Grapplers last week at 18-19 PSI...where full cold pressure is 38...and about 41 warm. Trails included Red Cone, Birds Eye Gulch and more... Also ran them only slightly higher in Moab (about 20-21) including Top of the World, Hell's Revenge, Hell's gate and Fins & Things. No issues at all at those pressures despite some serious rocks, angles, off-camber and even tire-edge-only slants...

Last edited:
Gaijin, Michelin Lattitude Tour HP 285/50 R20 112V on a stock LX. Correct cold tire pressure?

Is there a chart for different tires, vehicle conditions, and corresponding tire pressures that i can reference? I will be changing tires soon (on 18s) and would like to educate myself a bit more. Thanks.

Gaijin, Michelin Lattitude Tour HP 285/50 R20 112V on a stock LX. Correct cold tire pressure?

Is there a chart for different tires, vehicle conditions, and corresponding tire pressures that i can reference? I will be changing tires soon (on 18s) and would like to educate myself a bit more. Thanks.

The recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the 285/50R20 112V Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires on your LX is 33psi Front/Rear.

If you Google "Load and INflation Tables" you will find a lot of available information. One very good source is Toyo Tires: Load & Inflation Tables

I use the tables published by the TRA (Tire and Rim Association), but you have to buy those: The Tire and Rim Association, Inc.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom