Builds Cummins R2.8 Conversion build thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To the experienced folks who have done H55F swaps, any one know if having a '85+ 60 will make this swap easier if adding the 2.8 & the H55F at the same time? or are all bets off, will the new motor change the length of the drive train anyway?

I have an '84.

Thanks!
Mark

Mark

We made our mounts so that the engine will fit to stock driveline lengths for 1981 to 1987 cruisers. But, if you have a 1983 with an H42, AND you want to swap in an H55, then you'll need to change driveline lengths. Does that make sense?

Essentially anyone can assemble this engine into their 81-87 FJ60 using their stock transmission without any driveline modifications.

Mark

We made our mounts so that the engine will fit to stock driveline lengths for 1981 to 1987 cruisers. But, if you have a 1983 with an H42, AND you want to swap in an H55, then you'll need to change driveline lengths. Does that make sense?

Essentially anyone can assemble this engine into their 81-87 FJ60 using their stock transmission without any driveline modifications.

Tor-

What will the kit include that you guys are working on? Motor mounts and bell housing and partial wiring harness?

Mark

Makes sense. Thanks! Looking forward to more posts about this engine in the 60 platform with the H55F!

The kit from Torfab will include the following:

1. engine mounts
  2. radiator relocation bracket
  3. intercooler and piping
  4. gas pedal bracket
  5. fan shroud
  6. lower radiator hose
  7. upper radiator hose
  8. oil filter bracket
  9. fuel filter bracket
  10. air intake tubing
  11. optional cold air box
  12. PCM bracket
  13. fuse box bracket
  14. grid relay bracket
  15. adapter kit to an H55f or an H42/H41
  16. optional adapter kit for a 4L60e
  17. coolant expansion tank
  18. coolant hoses and fittings/adapters
  19. custom exhaust downpipe?
I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing. The idea is to give you all the hard to find/figure out parts, so someone can install this in their 60 series with just regular fab/wiring skills, and mechanical skills.

I'm loving this. I registered with cummins as soon as the news was released last year. I've received a few updates from them. I hope carb hurries up and makes it Ca legal. I will place an order asap.

WOW...my 87' is pretty excited!
:bounce:

The kit from Torfab will include the following:

1. engine mounts
  2. radiator relocation bracket
  3. intercooler and piping
  4. gas pedal bracket
  5. fan shroud
  6. lower radiator hose
  7. upper radiator hose
  8. oil filter bracket
  9. fuel filter bracket
  10. air intake tubing
  11. optional cold air box
  12. PCM bracket
  13. fuse box bracket
  14. grid relay bracket
  15. adapter kit to an H55f or an H42/H41
  16. optional adapter kit for a 4L60e
  17. coolant expansion tank
  18. coolant hoses and fittings/adapters
  19. custom exhaust downpipe?
I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing. The idea is to give you all the hard to find/figure out parts, so someone can install this in their 60 series with just regular fab/wiring skills, and mechanical skills.

Thanks for proof of concept. Fingers crossed this "becomes a thing" and is affordable. Time will tell.

19 items on the list, with a handful more to come... awesome! Realize that each of those would otherwise be on average a few + hours of work, with no guarantee of success on the first go-round! This will be a great package!

Wish you'd had a kit for the B3.3 @torfab! Great work and hope to see this rig soon! My '62 can dream...

How will the engine behave in front of a non-overdrive H42 3.73-equipped FJ60 and the same truck with a 4L60E transmission?

I wondered if the rev-range of this Cummins engine can handle this variance, not to mention FJ62s with 4.11s

I am looking forward to hear about driving impressions of the 2.8. I've got a FJ60 with a 2F that will need a rebuilding not too far down the road. If this motor drives the FJ62 that Tor has well, I may pull the plug on the swap. Tor does great work and I know that the kit will be stellar. The biggest question is going to be cost (the motor, the kit, etc).

How will the engine behave in front of a non-overdrive H42 3.73-equipped FJ60 and the same truck with a 4L60E transmission?

I wondered if the rev-range of this Cummins engine can handle this variance, not to mention FJ62s with 4.11s

The R2.8 redlines at 4200, so it can easily be driven with an H42 behind it. I have 4.11 gears in my FJ62 and it handles just fine. Power is more than the 2F in every aspect as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom