68 FJ40 converting to dual circuit MC (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
New to me 1968 FJ40 April or May production according to VIN

Somewhere along the line it got a rebuilt F1.5 engine.

@65swb45

Mark, do you sell the parts (MC of course), but brake lines, brackets, etc., to convert the single to dual MC? OP says all the Drum/ Wheel cylinders were just replaced with Toyota, but I haven't checked, yet.

These should be 9mm lines, yes? New lines will be 10mm, I'm guessing?

What about adding a booster ?

Thanks.

upload_2017-7-26_11-43-57.png

upload_2017-7-26_11-44-48.png

View attachment 1504564

Last edited:
I have the adapter and MC combos here. And the Karma Cruiser to show you how it all fits together.

BTW, congrads on the new rig.

Great, thanks. I'll get a list together of other stuff.

The toughest part of the whole process will be finding the T's and other junctions for the brake lines in 10 mm. I went through this process last year, and scoured every salvage yard in the Tucson area for old Toyota P/U trucks, SUV's, and even old passenger vehicles. I even tried (unsuccessfully) to tap out one of the 9mm junctions to 10 mm.

Once you get that figured out, and the brake lines run, it should be fairly easy for the rest.

And, early 70's OEM boosters are still available (got mine at Autozone).

Well, I'm hoping I can make Mark's wallet a little fatter, in the process ... So he can buy more stucco and lumber - And Air Conditioning! ;)

Also, nice surprise just now, PO said engine was a 1.5F, but on closer inspection, looks like a rebuilt mid-77 2F :D

Gotta get used to the column shifter though. Never used one before, for a manual. :steer:

If you don't use a booster (none of mine do) you don't need to change all the 9mm stuff out.

Rear brake line is broken. So, just replace that. It was fun getting it off the tow and around the street and house using only the parking brake!

Rear brake line is broken. So, just replace that. It was fun getting it off the tow and around the street and house using only the parking brake!

A tow truck driver probably broke it! :rolleyes:

I put a wildwood kit in my 70 FJ40 a while back after many years of the stock M/C. I did the kit because I didn't want to spend the time scrounging parts. The kit included everything I needed for the conversion. I still have drum brakes and no booster and have never had any problems with them. The kit included a per-portioning valve. Before if I stood on the brakes hard the rear in wanted to come around. The valve seems to have reduced the problem quite a bit. If you do the valve You will want to open it up for off roading. I have found that if you have to back down an incline with the valve closed the braking is not sufficient and the vehicle tends to slide. Especially on wet or loose ground.

Well, I'm hoping I can make Mark's wallet a little fatter, in the process ... So he can buy more stucco and lumber - And Air Conditioning! ;)

BTW, thanks for that. Business has been a little slow since I got back from AK.

I put a wildwood kit in my 70 FJ40 a while back after many years of the stock M/C. I did the kit because I didn't want to spend the time scrounging parts. The kit included everything I needed for the conversion. I still have drum brakes and no booster and have never had any problems with them. The kit included a per-portioning valve. Before if I stood on the brakes hard the rear in wanted to come around. The valve seems to have reduced the problem quite a bit. If you do the valve You will want to open it up for off roading. I have found that if you have to back down an incline with the valve closed the braking is not sufficient and the vehicle tends to slide. Especially on wet or loose ground.

Hello, I know old thread! Which wilwood kit are you referring to? I checked their site and done see anything. Thanks!

I did this conversion recently on my '69 and I never came across a kit that included everything. I got an early 70's dual res MC from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and an adapter from JT Outfitters. I found a fellow mudder who was parting out a '69 and got some extra 9mm fittings and splitters.

Here's the old and new MC and adapter.

i-8kkMm8L-L.jpg

I needed to make new lines from the MC to rear splitter and from front splitter on ds to splitter on ps front.

I replaced the 3-way splitter on ps front with a 2 way and eliminated the old line connecting front circuit to rear.

i-sF9MSZd-L.jpg

I made a new line from rear circuit on MC to rear splitter on ps.

i-KpThD2X-L.jpg

i-64S8dHH-XL.jpg

Here's the 2-way that replaced 3-way ps front, which isolates front circuit.

i-vq2MW8P-XL.jpg

I only had to replace the 9mm to MC with 2 10mm.

The 9mm fittings are hard to find and poorly designed, as they tend to spread at the flare fitting end if over tightened making them difficult to remove or reuse.

Here's a comparison pic showing a good 10mm (top left) and bad 9mm (top right).
Good 9mm (bottom left) and bad 9mm (bottom right).

i-JXnXL9V-XL.jpg

Last edited:
@MDH33

How did your Air Cleaner fit with that MC ?

It’s curious how close that adapter puts the MC to the TP of the carb. I don’t have that clearance issue with the Marks Off Road firewall adapter.🤔

Last edited:
@MDH33

How did your Air Cleaner fit with that MC ?
No issue with my '69 style air cleaner.

It’s curious how close the adapter puts the MC to the TO of the carb. I don’t have that clearance issue with the Marks Off Road firewall adapter.🤔
Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with how close it is, but doesn't seem to cause any issue. This adapter is about 1" thick. Could be that there are other MC's that are shorter and might fit better? Lots of options and combos out there.

Last edited:
I did this conversion recently on my '69 and I never came across a kit that included everything. I got an early 70's dual res MC from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and an adapter from JT Outfitters. I found a fellow mudder who was parting out a '69 and got some extra 9mm fittings and splitters.

i-8kkMm8L-L.jpg

I needed to make new lines from the MC to rear splitter and from front splitter on ds to splitter on ps front.

I replaced the 3-way splitter on ps front with a 2 way and eliminated the old line connecting front circuit to rear.

i-sF9MSZd-L.jpg

i-KpThD2X-L.jpg

i-64S8dHH-XL.jpg

i-vq2MW8P-XL.jpg

The 9mm fittings are hard to find and poorly designed, as they tend to spread at the flare fitting end if over tightened making them difficult to remove or reuse.

i-JXnXL9V-XL.jpg

Thanks for the great pics and descriptions.

So the old lines are 9mm and newer (70 and up) lines are 10mm? So I'd have to either buy new lines or make them since the old lines won't work with the new fittings especially the MC?

i-8kkMm8L-L.jpg

i-sF9MSZd-L.jpg

i-KpThD2X-L.jpg

i-64S8dHH-XL.jpg

i-vq2MW8P-XL.jpg

i-JXnXL9V-XL.jpg
This is a fantastic post, thanks for taking the time Martin. Great work on the execution and bending/routing of the tubing for the rear circuit!

So the old lines are 9mm and newer (70 and up) lines are 10mm? So I'd have to either buy new lines or make them since the old lines won't work with the new fittings especially the MC?
You don't need to replace all of the lines unless you are switching all of the wheel cylinders or going disk brake, etc. Just need to replace a few with custom and you can reuse your 9mm fittings if they are good. You will need 10mm for the MC and If you make custom splices, etc without using the old stuff.

Last edited:

Not all 70 and up are 10mm. Mine is a 10/69 and had 9mm brake fittings. I converted everything to 10mm using wheel cylinders from a later 70’s, later master cylinder and no booster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom