Split case lost my low range lever (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stevebradford

In the shop
Threads
So on my trip I found The low range lever on my 60 had rattled apart and lost the retaining bolt (probably my fault as I put a stainless bolt in there possibly slightly different size...). Allowing the post to drop a 1/2 inch down into the transfer case. Which really sucked trying to get out of a rough boldery road with a couple hill climes. It was pulling 2000 extra pounds of trailer and camping stuff. The 60 made it though just... with lots of high revs and clutch slipping (good thing I just put a brand new cluch in there) with the trailer hopping over large rocks. My plan is to find a small powerful magnet and try to lift that post out of the transfer case and slip the collar back on. Rather than pulling the transfer case apart again as I was just in there. Anybody have any better ideas?

So you are saying this bolt fell off and the inner lever fell out of view?
If that is true I'd be wanting to go in and see how badly chipped and possibly damaged the gear teeth are.
You really want to get in there and take a look.
IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG
Yep this post in sitting 1/2 inch down in the hole. Dosent appear to be interfering with anything just sitting there loose on the fork. There was no grinding or noise. Checked the magnet plug on the trail for metal there was none. The whole bouncy rattle ride out I was crossing my fingers it dident shift position into the gears and go pop! Haha. I'm not opposed to opening it up just wasent going to if I dident have to.

IMG_2156.JPG

Can you get a set of Vice Grips on it, and does it pull up? I just had mine apart, that lever if it's still there
is kind of 'captured' so it should be able to wiggled and pulled up.
Are you missing the assembly on top? Is it still attached to the shifter lever?

This is where that lever is positioned to inside. Right above the fork is the bolt with the spring and ball that holds
in the gear selection detent. That's the second photo.
if you removed the bolt and spring, used a small magnet to pull up the ball bearing then the selector fork will be a bit easier
to resist pressure when you pull up on the selector that has slipped down. That thing will only come up so far so if you are
able to lift it back to the correct height, you should be able to bolt it all back together and good to go.

IMG_2968_LI.jpg
IMG_2969.JPG

Yeah exactly the lever is still attached to the linkage, missing the bolt. the post is down in the hole unable to grab it. thought I might be able to pull wiggle it up with a strong enough magnet maybe. Thanks for the picture that's exactly my plan. was wondering what the peice is sitting on why it hasent fallen further, I don't remember or see where the notch on the selector fork bar. Is the notch where your arrow is?

Yes, the notch is hidden on the bottom at the arrow.

Thanks! Must be sitting on the ledge of the aluminum housing, pretty close to getting eaten by that gear.

Is that a pto winch gear you got there!

I found a pic of the gear and shifter fork assembly on the table. The arrow indicates the notch. Easier to see on this pic

IMG_2972_LI.jpg

Then the three detents on the left side on top are 'high' first, 'neutral' middle, 'low' closest to fork.

Thanks! Must be sitting on the ledge of the aluminum housing, pretty close to getting eaten by that gear.

Is that a pto winch gear you got there!

The lever should be safe, as it's on the outside of the shifter shaft. IF it hasn't fallen in, then you should be able to fix this without any
internal issues.
Yeah, that is PTO gear. I stupidly put it on backwards and had to take the case apart to put it in right. After I'd sealed and bolted it,
but glad I took a look in the PTO cover just before I buttoned it up and realized it didn't look right and double checked with my photos.
Dumbass....but I fixed it.
I don't have PTO on this truck, but I do on the 74.

Nice! It happens haha at least you were building it on an bench not in the truck. Yeah the post is still down in the hole, going to start fishing tonight! Thanks for the insight.

Yeah, but my problem was a lot more complicated than yours, too.

In the picture make sure the shim or washer is in place or it will not shift. Your gears should be fine, it did not shift.

Got it! Bit fiddely at first but peice of cake. a really strong magnet is needed to get it past that seal. Thanks guys.

I'm not home, or I'd send you the correct bolt.
Does if shift okay now?

IMG_2169.JPG
Yeah seems to work well Haven't taken it for a drive yet... thanks for the offer I appreciate it but I have lots of spares! I robbed the bolt from my drop in spare :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom