Newbie just here. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to introduce myself as a newbie owner for a 71 fj40. I have wanted an fj40 since driving driving a 76 model 30 years ago. I have come close a couple times, but never pulled the trigger. With the full support, even encouragement from my wife I picked up a mostly original (has a repaint) 71 from a old lady as it sat under covers in her backyard for many years. It was loved by her husband who passed some time back and formerly a NM car so the rust is minimal and surface oriented. I don't know much about these and I am looking forward to learning more. Here are a couple of pics of the fj while still on the trailer post pick up.

First question-What is the best service/repair manual for these?

20170723_175951_resized.jpg

20170723_202216_resized.jpg

20170723_180011_resized.jpg

Congratulations, and welcome to the madness!

The Toyota factory service manual is far and away the best. You can download it for free from here on Mud, or buy paper reprints or sometimes even originals on ebay.

By the way, you posted in the wrong sub-forum - you want to be in the 40-series sub-forum: 40- & 55-Series Tech

Was thinking, "wow, i've never seen that original color." Then I scroll down to the next pic and see the interior rainbow. Awesome. It looks like a great truck to kick off a fun project. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Looks like a very solid cruiser to start with but it did not excape the curse of the rusted rear sill. That will need to be addressed before you think of repainting. That was not a very professional repair.

Congratulations that's a solid looking rig to start with. Hopefully there aren't too many hidden Gems left by the PO for you to find.

It's a shame that the hood spear has a ding... most do. It may be able to be straightened. OEM replacements are rare to find. There is an aftermarket aluminum replacement available. It would take a lot of effort to make it match the original, however, they do look decent polished up. My theory with mine is that no one who'll see it in person has seen an original so I didn't sweat it. I based mine off an original, but made it more the way it should've been, rather than with noticeable welds and asymmetrical as the OEM one I based it off of was.
IMG_6394.JPG

IMG_6395.JPG

Last edited:
Congratulations that's a good looking truck. Lots of great people here and more information than you can absorb. Do some searches and read away good luck
JP

Thank you all for the welcome and in some cases, funny comments. I am not sure of the original color, but there is a lot to do. I think the original color is a sand color. I could not find the color on the plate on the passenger fender. Just for giggles I threw a battery to see if it would crank. It cranked... next sprayed some starting fluid and yeah it started. I love these old straight 6's. Now I can sleep. There is a lot to do. First thing is to get it running, brakes, and clutch working. I have ordered a fuel pump and will order what I need to get the brakes in order.

I should clarify when I used the word "original" I use it loosely. It does not seem to have a bunch of aftermarket parts (nothing wrong with that) i just like to have the factory stuff on when I am learning a new vehicle.

These things are kind unique. The transfer case shifter is under the dash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom