TJM Knockoff snorkel fitment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_8568.JPG
IMG_8571.JPG
IMG_8572.JPG

Last edited:
Video of my current dilemma:

Ok so the snorkel is on. Had to trim the plastic on the elbow and trim the hole larger which caused the actual mounting holes to now be off. So this is definitely not plug and play. My advice if you are going to use this, is to tape the template about and inch lower than the top edge of the fender. I think I taped it right up against the top crease of the fender and everything is just a little off. I can't really do a good write up on this because there's just so much ghetto hacking I'm having to do to get this to work.

Thanks for your pictures and videos, it helps me so much! If you can, post the final fitment.

I'll take some pics of the a pillar tomorrow with the door open. It works. Doesn't line up perfectly but it does work. This is total custom work. Maybe I just botched it up really bad so someone else may actually have a completely different experience.
IMG_8575.JPG
IMG_8576.JPG
IMG_8577.JPG

From your pics, I can see what you mean by lowering the template by an inch. It would be so neat to get ahold of a real TJM template and see the differences!

I am borderline about drilling my perfect fender and getting rid of the perfectly working antenna. Tough decisions ahead :)

Thanks for your writeup!!

Remember if you drop the whole shebang by an inch, it will clear your antenna too. Someday I might purchase a new fender and have it painted and do this all over again right. But probably not. Truck has 260,000 miles, is 20 years old, and as soon as I get a 200 series, will solely be my Trail rig.

Looks like lowering it that inch would snug it up to the roof too? I definitely thought the TJM sits flat to the roof, does it not?

PS I found a fender (luckily matching color) for dirt cheap in a junk yard near me when I needed it. Would be harder in your color for sure, but they're not really expensive compared to other parts. That said, there are aftermarket ones on ebay for even less, but then you need paint anyway.

Yota, absolutely. I think everything about this install would work better if it were lowered an inch. So for future installers, don't line up the template to the top edge of your fender. Lower it about an inch from the top crease and you should be good.

If I can save my oem antenna, that would make it for me. Its the trial and error that I cant afford. For me to get a replacement fender on this neck of the woods, even a chinese aftermarket is like $200 plus paint job. Totally defeating the whole idea of a cheap snorkel.

Thanks a lot for all the info shared!

When mine comes in, i'll see about dropping it an inch or so, trying to keep the antenna, and line up the top.

Ok one quick thought as I'm staring at my install. You can't really drop on inch because then the a pillar section of the snorkel will be so low it will interfere with the door opening and closing. I wish you all good luck with this. If someone has a perfect and easy install, then likely we can blame my stupidity on this but I just don't see how this thing quite fits as a plug and play install.

How does it attach to the A pillar? I have a snorkel on my 80 and just put in some rivnuts to fix where the original supplied anchors pulled out so I am curious on how this one attaches on the 100 as I will be putting a snorkel on our 100 but havent decided on which design yet.

Here's the bracket that attaches it to the a pillar:
IMG_8612.JPG

I think with the TJM one you expect to loose the antenna. It seems to have more to do with where the hole in the fender and the tubing needing to go through the fender there than the interference of the outer snorkel, right?

Also, looks like it just arrived, I'll tinker tonight.

K, semi-update. Package came in, spur of the moment decision, INSTALL.

It is mostly done, I did take pics, some of it was a bit smoother than Muddy's but not all of it :) I'm all eat up with mosquito's right now and I need to eat and have a (nother) beer. When my f'n phone is done automagically updating (in the middle of me taking wrap up pics no less) I'll get back to you fellas.

Biggest issues were:
  • I couldn't get the top most nut started, I'll try again
  • Tube between intake box and snorkel is about 2" too short...I guess I'll email the seller?
  • I got two sizes of hose clamps, one was NOT big enough, trip to o'reilly fixed that.
  • Only could get 2 of the three A pillar support bolts in, I also bought 8x1.25 bolts, this allowed me to set that piece after snorkel was attached to fender, and I don't like the allen head bolts, they were huge.
  • Best for last. I recommend you use ratchet wrenches if you gottem, but make sure not to tighten the nut so much that it draws the end of the bolt so close to the inner fender that you can not then remove your ratchet wrench. Mine are not reversible, so yea, it is just hanging in there. Didn't feel like breaking anything so I'm going to leave it for now. Luckily it was the last bolt I was working on.
pics to come.

Box Contents

This Tube is too Short, and Had to buy an extra clamp

Used a razor blade to transfer the template to the paint

Used Step Drill and Dremel to cut, then a 1/2 Round file to clean up

Test Fitting the Inner Snorkel Box

Painted a bit, on the bottom, you need to tape as close as you can to the bottom of the large hole, you can see the black paint if you look up from under the snorkel, not horrible, just FYI.

FRONT

3/4

SIDE

Pillar

It seems to have more to do with where the hole in the fender and the tubing needing to go through the fender there than the interference of the outer snorkel, right?

Correct. Exactly. Maybe you'll take
Your time and get it to work better than I did but I had a ton of plastic and fender trimming to do. I also hacked up that boxy resonator and had to use parts of it to make the silicone hose go all the way to the filter box intake elbow.

BillZ: nice! Your snorkel head has a gap between the roof and the bottom of the head right? Mine does too. Also, you just have drilled a larger hole than the template indicated to get the inner elbow flange through? I drilled exactly what the template said and it didn't even come close to fitting. I also had the issue of the hose being two inches too short so I used the resonator tube cut it and that did the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom