Let's talk MPG. How low can you go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This was from a post of mine about 10 years ago. I was hypermiling in a pretty stock with exception of 33's. I don't think I went above 60/65, did some drafting of semis, shut off engine at lights.... Other than doing it for grins it was painful and stressful. The low fuel light was on a long time partially because i was driving slow than normal.

"Just got home a few hours ago. 23.54 gallons some serious beads of sweat the light was on for a long time. I drove a little slower as I had about 63 miles in the city. I don't think I could drive this easy again for a full tank. Drum roll please 433 miles out of a tank. Works out to about 18 1/2 mpg"

Usually 11-12 around town. As little as 7-10 depending on what I was towing. I have literally run dry twice. Gambled, sort of, on what exit I could get to and fill up. I only say sort of because both times I had 10 gallons of insurance in jerry cans with me. At least for my truck, that low gas idiot light is pretty darn accurate at 5 gallons left, regardless of where the needle is. Tried, tested and true for me.

Oh, and to Phil a and his sub-tank :flipoff2:

Have people seen noticeable mpg increases with new oxygen sensors? Mine are still functional (no codes or drivability issues) but they have logged 10 years/150k miles and are likely past their peak.

I'd like to get into the 14's on the highway instead of 13's and think a fresh pair might help.

I got just over 15mpg fully loaded, 4 people, roof rack, etc etc on the I5 headed to Baja. That was the max.

6.5 on the rubicon (plus some highway miles) was the lowest.

Usually 11-12 around town. As little as 7-10 depending on what I was towing. I have literally run dry twice. Gambled, sort of, on what exit I could get to and fill up. I only say sort of because both times I had 10 gallons of insurance in jerry cans with me. At least for my truck, that low gas idiot light is pretty darn accurate at 5 gallons left, regardless of where the needle is. Tried, tested and true for me.

Oh, and to Phil a and his sub-tank :flipoff2:
I did the same during that same trip to Baja. We thought we could make it to that next town. Luckily we had that extra ten gallons.

I'm so jealous of you all with you MPG.

Idk what's wrong with my FZJ80... I can't even crack 10MPG

I used to go fast, as you get older you slow down.........just a tiny bit.

My ride before moving to Spain 12 years back, run 13's and an easy 170 MPH, oh and FOUR MPG!

Dropbox - Daves Coupe NSF.JPG

Regards

Dave

Holy crap, that's nice! And a coupe, too! I have its spiritual successor.
20170617_160710.jpg

I got down to about 10mpg with a big waterproof storage bag on top and running 80mph down the freeway coming back from Colorado. Normally get around 13mpg mixed driving.

14 and change. mostly highway, some NYC traffic before hitting the highway, always hoping to be doing about 75mph. landtank MAF'd, 33's, 3 year old O2 sensors and exhaust system, negative weight, pwr button always on, o/d always, not gentle AT ALL with the skinny pedal. i guess im pretty happy with what i get.

lowest i think i ever got was 11 something in the winter when we get the winter blend, probably lots of city traffic that week too. highest i got was 15.3ish

I used to go fast, as you get older you slow down.........just a tiny bit.

My ride before moving to Spain 12 years back, run 13's and an easy 170 MPH, oh and FOUR MPG!

Dropbox - Daves Coupe NSF.JPG

Regards

Dave

I don't know, I cannot help myself, my Cruiser tells me faster faster oh and I am really really close to being a senior citizen :flipoff2: and that jag is ugly L0L

Decided to test the range this am. As I left my house, the low fuel light came on and the dash gauge read flat on E. The UltraGauge however had 76 miles DTE. It's 40 miles from my house to work. 32 miles in, with 44 miles DTE on the readout, I finally caved and bought fuel. 23.4 gallons milked to the filler neck. Not gonna lie, I was sweating bullets.

IMG_0990.JPG

I figure she's gonna go about 75 miles today without moving the needle a bit....of course she's on the back of a flatbed tow truck....:eek:

Decided to test the range this am. As I left my house, the low fuel light came on and the dash gauge read flat on E. The UltraGauge however had 76 miles DTE. It's 40 miles from my house to work. 32 miles in, with 44 miles DTE on the readout, I finally caved and bought fuel. 23.4 gallons milked to the filler neck. Not gonna lie, I was sweating bullets.

If you filled it as much as you stated then you had well over 2 gallons left.

If you filled it as much as you stated then you had well over 2 gallons left.

Maybe with a subtank - IIRC the 80 series has a 25 gallon tank.

I guess you know you're not getting good fuel mileage when you tote fuel with you. ;)

Poor%20Mileage1_zpsxwxle6z1.jpg

Poor%20Mileage2_zps1xdpbkta.jpg

Just kidding. I think I get about 12-13 mpg most of the time, really don't care. Have never let the tank get below the 1/4 mark...so can't say if I have any warning lights or not.

I live well outside of town...so I keep fuel in our vehicles and several cans extra at all times.

OP.. You're asking how low I let the needle go before fueling? Personally, I like to refuel at or above 1/4 tank. My experiences with in tank pumps, the fuel surrounding the pumps keeps the pump cool. I've had better luck with vehicles that don't go to the bottom of the tank versus ones that are refilled on fumes. Not saying I've never seen the low fuel light.......just prefer to fill it before then.

My LX averages exactly 10 mpg in town (then factor in the rubber overdrive of roughly 10%) adjusted roughly 11mpg in town and Gallons Per Hour on the trail...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom