How much to fix leaks on lx450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ebay.com
LExus of austin just finished PPI on 1996 169k LX450 one owner Illinious truck then said truck need /has " multiple oil leaks :

rear main, (probably will not fix this heard its big money)
power steering pump leaks,
Distributor O Ring,
timing cover replacement,
rear brakes
front steering knuckles

How much will i spend to fix these items with a good independance shop?

Everyone seems to say that the rear main seal is way less common of an oil leak than the rear hump of the main oil pan, which produces a leak that looks exactly like a rear main seal leak.

Most of these you can do by yourself and save the big money for rear main.. search the threads on each item and read up on them. They just take time and effort.. HTH just my $0.02

I wouldn't even hazard a guess...

Most of these you can do by yourself and save the big money for rear main.. search the threads on each item and read up on them. They just take time and effort.. HTH just my $0.02

I wouldn't even hazard a guess...

Well, main oil pan requires time, effort, and an engine hoist.

I paid around $400 to have a quality independent repair the rear main.

LExus of austin just finished PPI on 1996 169k LX450 one owner Illinious truck then said truck need /has " multiple oil leaks :

rear main, (probably will not fix this heard its big money)
power steering pump leaks,
Distributor O Ring,
timing cover replacement,
rear brakes
front steering knuckles

How much will i spend to fix these items with a good independance shop?

Probably 25-30 hours flat rate x the hourly labor rate. Plus parts. The door rate here is $110.00 per hour.

Just to throw out a ball park,if you don't do any of the work,your easily looking at a couple grand.Unless you can find some cheap labor.........

on the ppi did they check the oil to see if it had coolant in it?
remember i told you all these trucks are basically going to have the same issues , you should have lexus quote the repair and show him to negotiate. a really good indy wont be much cheaper.

The probably didn't it was a Stevie wonder PPI
I bought the truck and will see if Friday, used the ppi to reduce purchase price
Took the gamble aNd committed to fixing what I cAn and have A shop do the rest to make it new

Which is why I said save the $$$ for that one....

Rear main seal is a lot more difficult than rear hump of main oil pan.

You said to save up for rear main seal. I'm saying that mud wisdom seems to be that if they weren't very meticulous with their diagnosis of RMS, it's more likely the oil pan.

If the knuckles have been spooging, get a suit.
Hopefully that haven't been doing it for very long,or else ring and pinion and (or) bearings might be shot. Went through that not fun!!Good reason to regear though:hillbilly:!!

wow , when i had my bmw 540i 6spd the book rate at the totally snobby eat off the floor bmw indie place was $90per hour!
i thought i was going to at least get cheaper labor when i got this.
my infiniti g35 is $100per hour at the dealer!

Probably 25-30 hours flat rate x the hourly labor rate. Plus parts. The door rate here is $110.00 per hour.

I know opinions of additives vary wildly but I can only go by my own experience. Change the oil and put two bottles of ATP AT-205 Re-Seal in the crankcase. Drive for a couple of hours. That's what I did after noticing front and rear leaks. Now granted they weren't gushers, but they are now completely gone. This stuff works.

Timing chain cover is more likely to be crank pulley seal and oil pump cover gasket. Both much easier, cheaper, and easier for DIYS.

I had all of those same leaks when I bought my 93. The PO had a quote from Toyota to fix them. They actually had the oil pan leak not the rear main. Total was north of $4000, Los Angeles rate.

I replaced all of the Seal leaks for $30-40 (or whatever insignificant amount of money it was) and a full day of my time. The knuckle rebuild will be $300 worth of parts and supplies (a truckload of rags and diesel/brake cleaner/degreaser) and a full day/day and a half of time.

To me it is therapeutic to work on my 80. None of those things are rocket science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom