Builds XPLOR R - 2014 200 Series Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got tired of battling the fridge lid while loading/unloading so I made a little prop to hold it open.
IMG_0462.JPG
IMG_0464.JPG

Jumping on the bandwagon for the 2017 LCDC trip to Breckenridge...

Saw this mod on a Tacoma at a recent Overland Bound meet...

0717_XPLORR_RAMmounts-0728 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

0717_XPLORR_RAMmounts-0729 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

6MM bolt, through RAM Mount ball head (Motorcycle piece)

0717_XPLORR_RAMmounts-0730 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

0717_XPLORR_RAMmounts-0732 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr (sorry for the missed focus, d'oh)

Versatile setup. Have a couple magnetic mounts for radios/etc as well as a mount for the Garmin Montana when we do Land Ops trips. The iPad stays mounted on the center console. Will see how it works/evolves.

Slick looking. It's a great idea

Cool find! Looks prime for handheld radio.

Ok, I stopped by the good local hardware store and picked up some longer 6mm bolts, so here's the updated/refined version...

0717_XPLORR_RAMmounts-0736 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

0717_XPLORR_RAMmounts-0738 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

Shrink wrap to keep it looking a bit more refined.

0717_XPLORR_RAMmounts-0740 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

0717_XPLORR_RAMmounts-0742 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

A few more RAM bits and pieces showed up today. The "dogbone" and the swivel mount should let me mount stuff out of the way yet still accessible.

I think we should take into account that the side curtain airbag will collide with a mount in that area, and launching whatever is mounted there around the passenger compartment. Probably not the best idea especially during a situation that you would also need those air bags and your head could be smashed into the front airbag.
IMG_0549.JPG

Damn good point

I think we should take into account that the side curtain airbag will collide with a mount in that area, and launching whatever is mounted there around the passenger compartment. Probably not the best idea especially during a situation that you would also need those air bags and your head could be smashed into the front airbag.
View attachment 1506162

Airbag deployment is definitely something important to consider. It looks to me like the side curtain airbags deploy from the back side of the A-pillar, and blow away from the grab handle (covering the side windows). With the Ram ball mounted towards the windshield side of the A-pillar, it should keep things well out of the way of the airbag. If this was on the passenger side I could certainly see interference with the dash airbag, but the driver side should be OK. Am I missing something?

Oh, and I dig the build @ethernectar . I'll likely be borrowing a few of your ideas.:cheers:

I see in your picture above that you have an OZ Tent. Where do you store it when driving? I keep mine on the roof rack.

I see in your picture above that you have an OZ Tent. Where do you store it when driving? I keep mine on the roof rack.

85-90% of the time its on the roof. If I pack really light it'll fit inside. If I'm going to park someplace overnight for a hotel stay then I lock it up with a Steelcore strap.

0816_XPLOR-R-2125.jpg

New, lower-profile ARB Rack went on yesterday! Looks a bit sleeker, easier to load.

The awning just didn't get used and maybe I'll be able to eek out a few more freeway miles without that and the hi-lift mounted up there.

Sidebar - ARB alloy rack, awning, lights, custom Four-trek mounts for sale: For Sale - ARB Rack, Awning and Extras - $1200, SoCal

img_2927-jpg.1691933
img_2930-jpg.1691934

Oh and just realized the XPLOR R and I just had our two-year anniversary, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom