Builds 60 Frankenstein Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Felicity, I guess you can call it custom. A local guy (Tim with Elite Performance) hear at the Lake put it together. He came out to the shop and measured, then ordered parts and put it together while he had the truck this last week. Was not cheap but we bartered on a welder we no longer use but seemed perfect for his operation.
And Ryan, I overlooked your last question. That is the ski I picked up in Austin the other week.
Just saying, I wasn't specifically seeking custom for my old beater but it was the best price I found, hundreds less than the others even crappy Monroe. Only downfall I found in their install was I went in w/ very little of the system left, only the front pipe and partial flange off the front cat they didn't replace the stock setup w/ flanges at all. And they moved my second cat to a new place which I like. Now I need to get the time w/o my son to go see them in person because I'm unable to pull my oil pan to reseal it as a result of them going cheap. Hoping they'll be cool.

I'll be the third voice, just swap in your LSD SF third into the FF. When I put in my FF rear I used the 3rd out of my SF. Bolts right in and runs perfectly!

You all have asked a really good question about swapping pumpkins. Both axel seals were destroyed when we pulled them. Mcguire rebuilt it and took one trip to CO last year. This was concerning and I would have to order new seals etc. so we made the decision to just swap axels and be done with it. This way I can focus on other punch list items. We are pretty sure something was not done right when rebuilt last year. Even the rubber on the dust shields were eaten up. We will figure all this out at a later date. Also it's my hope I'll be getting some cable locked axels in the near future.

Exhaust looks awesome. Didn't know you were going stainless . No muffler right just straight pipe? Curious about that too why not just rob the third out if the semi float axle?
Yes...no muffler. Really sounds good. Not too loud but just enough that you know it's a diesel :)

You all have asked a really good question about swapping pumpkins. Both axel seals were destroyed when we pulled them. Mcguire rebuilt it and took one trip to CO last year. This was concerning and I would have to order new seals etc. so we made the decision to just swap axels and be done with it. This way I can focus on other punch list items. We are pretty sure something was not done right when rebuilt last year. Even the rubber on the dust shields were eaten up. We will figure all this out at a later date. Also it's my hope I'll be getting some cable locked axels in the near future.

You don't need the full float for this truck anyways, you're not going to break an axle without a locker ;)

You don't need the full float for this truck anyways, you're not going to break an axle without a locker ;)
Matt...that's exactly what Mcguire said

You need to build a wheeling truck next :)

Knocking out the punch list. Finished making the AC line's. Now working on a new wire harness. The one to the far left is the 85 one we already tried to use. Will take the 12HT wires out and transplant them into the far right harness. This one is complete and in
IMG_1326.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1328.JPG
IMG_1329.JPG
good shape. Should have used it out of the gate. The one in the middle is what originally came with the blue tub but it seems to be missing a handful of things. Will see how this works out.

Knocking out the punch list. Finished making the AC line's. Now working on a new wire harness. The one to the far left is the 85 one we already tried to use. Will take the 12HT wires out and transplant them into the far right harness. This one is complete and in View attachment 1503377 View attachment 1503378 View attachment 1503380 View attachment 1503382 good shape. Should have used it out of the gate. The one in the middle is what originally came with the blue tub but it seems to be missing a handful of things. Will see how this works out.
How did you make the AC lines? I need to do this and want to update the lines to r134a barrier lines. Thanks!

Holy amazing operation. I applaud you!
Thanks Felicity. They are easier than they look. The hard part is what McGuire does grafting the 12HT wires into this one. I did plug in the one harness and have 12volts throughout the whole thing. This is Good news...will start to work on it manana.

IMG_1312.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG
How did you make the AC lines? I need to do this and want to update the lines to r134a barrier lines. Thanks!
Red, I bought this crimper and then sourced the hoses and ends from my local AC supply shop here in San Antonio.

Also messed around with the rear doors yesterday. Will finish the front after I install the radio and door speakers. This follows the wire harness. Need to get more pics. I changed out the window felt on both sides of the glass. I did realize clips are not needed across the top. panels have been off so long I forgot about it
IMG_1317.JPG
IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG
IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG
So we are 7 days from heading out to the SAS. McGuire and I keep overcoming obstacle after obstacle. The wire harness turned out to be a real PITA. First off, don't ever try to go live with a transplant after a few beers :). I did end up frying the ground block (of a perfectly good harness) behind the instrument cluster. We fixed that. Then it was the blower fan. Figured that out. Then the alternator (have not figured that one out). Swapped in an older one that MJ was using. Now my AC is not kicking on. Have to figure out why the compressor is not getting juice. I bypassed it to charge the system. Not to impressed with my work here as it does not get too cold. Seems about 60%. Question for those that may know...I am using a 88 62 compressor. Used 8oz of Pag46 and 32ish ounces of 134. Does this seem right? Lastly, we thought there may be a slow leak from the rear of the motor. After doing a 40 mile run in the truck we found it's doing more that marking its territory. It's spraying worse that a cat in heat leaving a puddle when parked. This may be the deal breaker on getting this truck to CO next week. Gonna order a new rear main seal and give it a look if I have the time. Oh...and it's now licensed which is a first for this mash up of a ride. And I do have to say it was Awesome driving this truck out on the road

I have faith. You guys will get it... save the beers for after tho. ;) Love the 'spraying worse than a cat in heat.' That's funny s***.

IMG_1383.JPG
IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1385.JPG
Good progress today. Both @beno and @roma042987 offered to help me with sourcing a RMS. Should have it by Friday. These two guys are great. Now on to the AC issue. I'm never afraid to admit when I screw up...so I'll say it now...I f---ing screwed up. Left the expansion valve wire clip inside the plenum. Since yesterday I've been looking st this lone male plug but could never find the female side. Started looking at the FSM and was a bit overwhelmed by the diagram. Then it hit me...pull down another plenum off the shelf. Bam...I figured out my mistake in 2 seconds. Pulled the blower fan on my truck, reached my hand up in there and wa la...the wire clip that completes the circuit. Compressor kicks on now but don't believe the hi & low pressures are correct. Roma helped me out with the #'s so we will look at those again. Just feel it needs to be a bit colder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom