SAS Solid Axle Summit 2017 Official Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For those that are coming to Moab first I will be offering some extra credit recreational opportunities.
20170722_105937.jpg

Nice man. Any more temperature issues once you git there?

Just had a coworker come back from there and he said it was awesome.

No temp issues on this rig just the diesel.

Black bear is open now all the way

Heavy rains shut down Imogene for a day but they got it opened back up in no time.

Weather was perfect and after talking to the locals sounds like our directors picked a good time sounds like no one will be there and trails should be all by empty

Wrapping up some more work on the '76 FJ40 to get ready for a couple of trips, this Sunday and Monday (23rd and 24th) for a meet and baton hand-off with @Reznugget in Pagosa Springs, and for the SAS. Since my meet in Santa Fe with @POTATO LAUNCHER and his brother for the baton hand-off the FJ40's developed a knocking sound, what I believe is the original water pump (~64,400 miles on the vehicle) is finally going out and will be replaced probably tomorrow. I'll also finish pulling the radiator to have the drain petcock re-soldered to the bottom of the radiator to replace my last-minute temporary fix on the day of my Santa Fe meet. Along with that will be new hoses and clamps, an FJ60 oil cooler set-up, and new thermostat and housings. And while I'm down there, the long planned upgrade to an FJ60 distributor/coil/igniter and dented side cover, along with new plug wires. It looks like it's going to be three more busy days in a row for me.
Had to cancel the Colorado trip yesterday at the last minute - my drain petcock repair failed on me. I was able to get everything else done except for the coil/igniter. Water pump and thermostat went well though.

Thermostat-1.jpg

Thermostat-2.jpg

Of the 4 FJ40s I know of 2, mine and @POTATO LAUNCHER's. I missed my baton (briefcase) hand-off this morning due to the radiator issue so will re-schedule. Will either of the 2 other FJ40s be heading SW towards Arizona after the SAS? I still hope to meet @Reznugget later this summer, but a fall-back position for the baton would be nice.

I'll be heading back to Austin afterwards. Wish I had time to go west.

Here is the short run down. 40's carrying a briefcase and two tool boxes that are loaded with items starting in the east and crisscrossing their way west. It must be driven in a 40. Each participant adds things from their region and trek. We are about mid continent with all three at this point.

This is the link and a couple of pics from my legs of the handoff.

FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us???

20170602_094921.jpg

20170602_120351.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

Last one is of @4Cruisers and myself on the Plaza in SantaFe.

Last edited:
Start a thread man. Thats how SAS and Criss Country began.

Absolutly! It was fun in the 40, all 1500 miles or so. I wouldn't be as picky about the weather in the 60. Anytime would be cool.

Absolutly! It was fun in the 40, all 1500 miles or so. I wouldn't be as picky about the weather in the 60. Anytime would be cool.

Following the summit I might have to set this up, even though the lazy northerners are leaving me to solo the journey this year.

Also, I'm trying to procure a large U.S. interstate map. I'd like to get each driver to highlight and sign their route to Colorado. It'd give a good perspective, and show the distances people come togeather to appreciate like minded folk

Great idea.
The guy that inspired the whole idea is from your area. He did a 5 week west to east trip in his 40 last year. Docomented it all, camping, backroads, national parks. Its a cool thread.

EasternYeti...solo journey?? Does that mean no co-driver for your trek out to Moab prior to SAS??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom