What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (54 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally built up some motivation to tackle the disc brake conversion on the rear.

Drained the chocolate milk...so much for the PO saying the rear was serviced when I bought it.

View attachment 1502369

Confirmed he did have a Lock Right installed and everything in good order.
View attachment 1502370

Cursed a bunch trying to figure out how to remove the c-clips and remove the guts of the locker.

View attachment 1502371

Got all of the old drum brake backing plates off to find the passenger side bearings were completely seized from what looks like rust.
View attachment 1502372

Which then led me to worry about the condition of the bearing surface on the axle. Short side is in horrid condition. :bang: Not sure how to tackle at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

View attachment 1502373
You can have them turned down and then have it laser cladded, chose a harder surface finish for more durabillity.

20170723_160258.jpg
started polishing up the patina on the 78 i picked up yesterday.
Also I was amazed...

It has been sitting for 3 years. Idk wtf amazing battery this has but it still had juice.

So I put some gas in it, double checked the fluids put some gas in the carb and boom! Didn't even have to junp start it.

Also, everything works! Even the dome light!

View attachment 1502610 started polishing up the patina on the 78 i picked up yesterday.
Also I was amazed...

It has been sitting for 3 years. Idk wtf amazing battery this has but it still had juice.

So I put some gas in it, double checked the fluids put some gas in the carb and boom! Didn't even have to junp start it.

Also, everything works! Even the dome light!

"Better to be lucky than good"! .......mayhap you be both - congrats:cheers:

Man you guys are getting big stuff done... meanwhile I haven't had mine a week, & ive replaced the plugs, wires, coil, and taken off the smog pump.

What year is yours?

Mine has everything but the smog pump so I'm thinking of getting one put back in.

Or can someone tell me if they are still available from Toyota?

20170723_155259(0).jpg

That's a bit of a one day drive when towing a trailer, Salem to Wallowa and back to Salem in one day.I've gone from Albany to Walla Walla and back home in one day, but I wasn't towing a trailer. Looks like the trip was well worth it though. I don't see any serious rust in those pics.

Don

@thecrazygreek very nice '78 you have there! I have a weird aftermarket coil setup on mine that is going to be replaced with the help of @Tools R Us with OEM unit very soon here. Any way you might be able to snap a closer up pic of the connections on and around your coil? Yours looks pretty stock. Many thanks!

@thecrazygreek very nice '78 you have there! I have a weird aftermarket coil setup on mine that is going to be replaced with the help of @Tools R Us with OEM unit very soon here. Any way you might be able to snap a closer up pic of the connections on and around your coil? Yours looks pretty stock. Many thanks!

Here are some pics I took off that area.

20170723_143402.jpg
20170723_143356.jpg
20170723_124317.jpg

I crunched it:

IMG_1099.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG

If anyone has any good threads on quarter panel replacement I'm in need!

Pete

Bummer WAY to nice of a rig to put in a situation like that............................................

@thecrazygreek thanks! that last pic just may help, looking to wire in the original coil so looking for what the connections around it look like stock, cab side of the coil would be great too. Where did find that Mustard '78? Nice.

Bummer WAY to nice of a rig to put in a situation like that............................................

No worries- it had some rust issues lurking.... When im done with it it'll be Better, Stronger, ..... well maybe not Faster but at least semi-bionic.

Pete

Ps.- I made it though just fine the second and 3rd time...... steep learning curve though huh.

P

Last edited:
@peteinjp what year is that 40? Interesting mirror setup, I take it they came that way in Japan? Also the rear axle looks like it is of the full float variety, that is off a 60 series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom