Hub diff fluid leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Na-na-na-an, I can't hear you. Repeat after me, "it was hot, your breather is clogged, you just sent a little oil past the seal" :lol:

The wheel doesn't feel loose, but I do have a full rebuild kit that has been sitting in the parts drawer for seven years.

The axle shaft being bolted to the hub flange then going all the way into the diff can make the wheel feel like it doesn't have play even when the bearings are a bit loose.

Just pop the cone washers off and pull the axle shaft then check preload. You may not need seals or a bearing rebuild at all.

Update. Finally was able to put some time into the rear hub. The axle seal was pretty much destroyed. Went ahead and replaced bearings and seals, repacked everything. Everything sealed up nicely. Thanks for all the tips and guidance.

Front or rear?

If front, it's time to go through the whole front end, ie "knuckle rebuild". This is usually a good idea on a new to you truck anyway.

If rear, easy job.

The wheel bearings may be good. Check them before replacement.

I am new to LC ownership...94 FJ80 without diff locks.
Is there a seal kit that i cant go wrong with for going through the front end hubs? I figure i may as well open it up and check. Dont know if its been done or not. 167k on the odometer so i would like to be safe.

I am new to LC ownership...94 FJ80 without diff locks.
Is there a seal kit that i cant go wrong with for going through the front end hubs? I figure i may as well open it up and check. Dont know if its been done or not. 167k on the odometer so i would like to be safe.

Cruiser Outfitters

Knuckle Rebuild Kit - 80 Series - Part# FA9097 $115.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom