Suggestions for inexpensive FJ40 shocks (4" lift) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title states, looking for replacement shocks for my FJ40. It has a 2.5 Superlift with extended shackles. So, I'm guessing 4 total inches. I see Skyjacker, Pro Comp on ebay for pretty good prices. What say you?!

Include model number so I can reference. I'll likely buy in the next few hours so that I can get them asap. Thanks!

If you have an 1.5 inch lift with shackles alone.that would put your shackles around 7to 8 inches long...id be making sure all the necessary correction shims are in order.

I would be willing to bet you have closer to a 3 inch lift.

IMG_0001.JPG
Yeah. I just installed the 2.5 and way too long shackles. It's ridden like s*** every since. There's virtually no articulation. Need to get it sorted out.

Hello,

I would say OME or Dobinsons. A little pricier but worth it.

Juan

Long shackles are good for lifted spring under axle springs. Your shackle angle is far from ideal. You really want them closer to 45 degrees of angle rather than straight up like they are. Unfortunately many off the shelf lifted springs give poor shackle angles at ride height which gives poor ride and articulation. If you moved your shackle mounts you could get a better angle.

Pro Comp is probably the most inexpensive. There really isn't that much difference as far as price. You might be surprised at what little difference in price there is when you compare a bit better shock to the inexpensive shocks. Well worth considering a better shock

You should be able to find Bilsteins for maybe $20 per shock more than the Pro Comps and have a much better ride

I know Jack... I've been home a week now. I'll start looking at shipping now that I know that I'm headed to Ft Polk next. Thanks for your patience.

I just put Bilstein 5100's on mine (fronts done, rears tomorrow or Tuesday). Replaced some s***ty and very old superlift shocks.

I've had Bilsteins on other trucks and liked them.

I know Jack... I've been home a week now. I'll start looking at shipping now that I know that I'm headed to Ft Polk next. Thanks for your patience.

Ft. Polk Sleasville LA
X2 on the Bilsteins

If the springs are new, flex them out to get them to settle and soften the ride a little. Also, be sure you have not over-tightened the shackle bolts which can lock up the suspension and prevent spring flex and shackle swing.

Nice 40!

Yes. I know you're just joking. ;)

Are you at Polk or in the Leesville area?

Naw man, we mobed twice there before jumping the pond to go play in the sand. I'm up in the north west corner of the state, both times we were there we stayed in the old condemned WW2 barracks. All BS aside we did have a pretty good time, hired some ole SLEASY gals to entertain everybody last time. I left for a bit and had to run 2 out of my room earning some extra money. Wear your PPE.

Another option not mentioed, Mark's Offroad sells Doetsche shocks. I think they are good shocks and not as pricey as brands mentioned above. I think Mark has field tested the doetsche's and likes them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom