OCD or Genuine scheduled replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Formulaonehd

NWZ - The storm is here
Threads
Quick OCD question/opinion or maybe it is genuine?

Alternators, distributors, AFM and other electrical parts. When should we replace those? Ive got the 80s OCD (150000kms) and want long distance reliability. ive replaced and serviced mechanical parts but its those electrical components that have me scratching the head.

Am i really just another Mud member with 80s-OCD ??

Yes.

Yes, but welcome to the club!

I'm thinking the FSM has various electrical continuity or resistance testing procedures for a lot of these components and that regular testing with recorded results would let you see if there was any trend towards the limits. Outside of trending test results I don't see how else one could tell beforehand how the electrical components were holding up.

Of course any reassurance from this testing would assume that the wiring harness itself is also holding up, which is not always the case. How's that OCD now? :flipoff2:

Haha not helping no!
Look I spoke where I am coming from is my truck has low mileage but does that necessarily mean age itself can still override mileage . Of course some argue that daily driving is the best thing for continuity in cars and taxis are probably a great example of that.
Might have a peak at the FSM again.

Really can't afford to break down where I live , there is no help for a long way once Yu leave town so I can live with OCD as long as it's warranted haha :)

I agree with these guys. The key to a good maintenance program is trend logs.

If breaking down is a death sentence then I would recommend replacing the starter (rebuild it), alternator, plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. Keep old stuff as spares. Carry them with you. And carry a basic set of tools.

Air Flow meter.

150K KM's - you're just getting started.

Change that PHH (assuming you're a 1FZ).

I'm right there with you & been waiting 6-7yrs for my alt to give up the ghost so I can drop in my Photoman bracket & Sequoia alt. Still waiting.......

There is no factory-recommend replacement interval on any of these items. They are considered repair parts and therefore fall under the "inspect and repair or replace as required" umbrella.

Don't mess with dizzy, but definitely the cap/rotor/wires; there is a o-ring that leaks on the bottom of the dizzy too. I replaced mine last year and it lead to a whole mess of issues.

I would change the alternator if you wanted to upgrade. They are pretty inexpensive, I found one that was 130A which was a nice upgrade from the stock 90A? one. Nice since I now have dual batteries.

Sounds like alternator is the main one to replace or at least keep a spare . Are you guys talking abut the distributor cap?

Alternator brushes are quite cheap and usually what actually wears out on these. My armature and bearings were fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom