7th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 26-30 2017* Silverton·CO·USA·EARTH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All packed up and ready to go. We'll be leaving OKC headed to Santa Fe tomorrow AM.

Made probably my most important pre-HIH purchase today :rofl:

PXeHP6V.jpg

Truck did the go into low mode indication. But it's not actually dropping down to low. I flipped the dial from comfort to sport. Might need some AHC expert help. We will be in Durango until Wednesday. Maybe I'll adjust the sensors? At least going to dump all this weight. Maybe 350/400 extra lbs?

IMG_1970.JPG
Need help guys, I'm leaking oil...not sure from where. Stopped for the night in Omaha.

View attachment 1502693 Need help guys, I'm leaking oil...not sure from where. Stopped for the night in Omaha.
Hard to tell from the pictures and little oil leaks can be hard to trace. Check your oil and power steering fluids and make sure they are o.k. Wipe everything down tonight and see if there is any new oil running anywhere in the morning and look for a puddle on the ground in the morning and then trace the fluid back to its source.
If there is no puddle and just a drop or two on the asphalt and all of your fluids are within range on their dipsticks I wouldn't concern myself to much about it. Just check the various fluids every time you stop and see if there is a drastic change on the dip sticks. Be sure to let it sit for a few minutes to let the fluids settle into their various reservoirs before you check them in order to get an accurate measurement. Also, make sure your coolant is within range in the reservoir.
Any oil;as well as coolant, that leaks can leave a fine mist over everything in its path and look like a bigger leak than it is. You are probably fine. But check it as you go just to be sure.
When you make it to camp on Wednesday, come find me if you want, I'm driving the maroon Toyota flatbed pickup and I would be happy to help you find the source. But keep checking and topping off the fluids until then.

Hard to tell from the pictures and little oil leaks can be hard to trace. Check your oil and power steering fluids and make sure they are o.k. Wipe everything down tonight and see if there is any new oil running anywhere in the morning and look for a puddle on the ground in the morning and then trace the fluid back to its source.
If there is no puddle and just a drop or two on the asphalt and all of your fluids are within range on their dipsticks I wouldn't concern myself to much about it. Just check the various fluids every time you stop and see if there is a drastic change on the dip sticks. Be sure to let it sit for a few minutes to let the fluids settle into their various reservoirs before you check them in order to get an accurate measurement. Also, make sure your coolant is within range in the reservoir.
Any oil;as well as coolant, that leaks can leave a fine mist over everything in its path and look like a bigger leak than it is. You are probably fine. But check it as you go just to be sure.
When you make it to camp on Wednesday, come find me if you want, I'm driving the maroon Toyota flatbed pickup and I would be happy to help you find the source. But keep checking and topping off the fluids until then.
Thank you. I'm letting it cool now, it's only leaking when running so it's Something under pressure, I think maybe the oil cooler line. Need to keep looking. Appreciate the advice.

This is assuming that you checked all of your fluids and they were all topped off before you left for the trip.
My truck has minimal leaks from many different spots and the underside looks just like yours. I don't consider it a huge deal as my yearly mileage is about what you have in this single trip. Just keep checking it as you go and if things are good, I wouldn't loose sleep over it. If you are worriedly you travel, stop in at Slee Off-road in Denver and have them check it out. Can't go wrong with having a cruiser guy check it out.

image.jpeg

Left Maryland/Delaware/Pennsylvania corner of the world this morning with this on the dial, now in Ft. Wayne, IN.

This is assuming that you checked all of your fluids and they were all topped off before you left for the trip.
My truck has minimal leaks from many different spots and the underside looks just like yours. I don't consider it a huge deal as my yearly mileage is about what you have in this single trip. Just keep checking it as you go and if things are good, I wouldn't loose sleep over it. If you are worriedly you travel, stop in at Slee Off-road in Denver and have them check it out. Can't go wrong with having a cruiser guy check it out.
Everything was topped before I left, new oil and filter too. I'm convinced it's a line to or from the oil cooler. The leak isn't on the motor at all, or the plug...just on the driver side of the radiators. It's definitely oil, not coolant.

Another epic day at the wheel. Left PA at 7am through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and settling down for the night in St. Louis. Took my daughter to the arch and had some killer BBQ at SugarFire Smoke House. She is having the time of her life and we haven't even got to CO yet!

Since we gain an hour of time, we're getting up at 5:45 (6:45 EST) and shooting to get through Missouri and Kansas and land for the night in Denver or Colorado Springs, but that may be a stretch.

@maxse01 not sure I can be of any help, but we seem to be on parallel paths albeit you're on I-80 and I'm on I-70. Are you shooting for Denver tomorrow?

Last edited:
Another epic day at the wheel. Left PA at 7am through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and settling down for the night in St. Louis. Took my daughter to the arch and had some killer BBQ at SugarFire Smoke House. She is having the time of her life and we haven't even got to CO yet!

Since we gain an hour of time, we're getting up at 5:45 (6:45 EST) and shooting to get through Misery (no offense) and Kansas and land for the night in Denver or Colorado Springs, but that may be a stretch.

@maxse01 not sure I can be of any help, but we seem to be on parallel paths albeit you're on I-80 and I'm on I-70. Are you shooting for Denver tomorrow?

I'm taking it to Village Pointe Toyota in Elkhorn tomorrow at 740am. Depending on how quick they can get me back on the road, I hope so.

Everything was topped before I left, new oil and filter too. I'm convinced it's a line to or from the oil cooler. The leak isn't on the motor at all, or the plug...just on the driver side of the radiators. It's definitely oil, not coolant.

With a fresh oil change, there might be an issue with your oil filter. It's right behind that frame rail and under pressure. Last thing touched? Double gasket?

Made probably my most important pre-HIH purchase today :rofl:

PXeHP6V.jpg

Hey I bought a pair also!

I've made it to Basalt CO, leaving tempe Az, stopping at horseshoe bend then on to Moab for the night and now spending some time in Basalt until heading down Wednesday to silverton.

I saw two 100s looking like they were ready for 100s in the hills one in Moab and passed another on the I70 hope to see them at the event!

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

[edit]
I see Grego posted same thing while I was typing.
Anyhow I would put off the dealer service, put a new filter on (get a Toyota one at dealer). As previous poster said, there is not oil in hoses going to oil cooler those are coolant lines. Oil comes through passages in block to and from cooler.
[edit]

If you recently changed filter, that would be first thing to pull and check. Could have nick on mating surface, bad gasket, etc. Get a new one.
That one does not look like a Toyota filter, they may have given you the wrong one, close but not quite right.

Last edited:
I'm taking it to Village Pointe Toyota in Elkhorn tomorrow at 740am. Depending on how quick they can get me back on the road, I hope so.
Man, I hope the best for you! The filter and the filter housing are really the only things that could leak oil up there. If it was slick like coolant I'd venture to guess the little 90 degree rubber hose right above the oil filter sprung a leak.

Saw a blue FJ Cruiser with 60's under it around Cañon City this afternoon. Must have been headed home from the Summit in Ouray.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom