What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (36 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I keep reading that as well, but I look at it this way too...if I could add more power with even the slightest bit better fuel mileage, that's what I would want. I know it's not like it would be 20% higher mpg, but even just a little with that much more power to pass people and keep up with traffic on hills without feeling like I'm about to blow the engine up, yeah sign me up. It's just the down time of the project.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do the H55f transmissions run? My ultimate goal would be do a Toyota diesel swap with the H55f trans behind it. But I definitely don't have that kind of money.
They've gone up a bit since I bought mine several years ago. At that time they were going for ~$1,900 after a 25% MUD discount at my local Toyota dealer. I believe they run about $2,100 or so with the same discount. Maybe someone else will post with a more accurate number.

I want to swap an LS so bad right now, I'm sick of fighting the a440 transmission and don't want to spend the money on swapping an h55f in there just to still have the slow poke 3fe...that probably needs to be gone through, honestly.

nuthin slow about a 3FE with a manual...heck my 4 speed cruises at 70 with the ac on...

nuthin slow about a 3FE with a manual...heck my 4 speed cruises at 70 with the ac on...

Mine will cruise at 70 with the ac on also, it's just pulling hills and picking up more speed while already rolling at 50ish is where it sucks badly. When I'm loaded down with camping gear and rolling up grades in the mountains, I can't hardly keep speed at 30 mph. Trying to keep up with traffic on hills sucks and that's what I want to change. The added bonus of a little better fuel mileage with better power makes it desireable to me. But the work to do it is what's making me not want to do it. I'd love to keep it all Toyota, I'm not a purist but just so everything works together better. Anyway, it's not like I've got the time/money to do anything right now but I'm just thinking for the future.

:grinpimp:
Mine will cruise at 70 with the ac on also, it's just pulling hills and picking up more speed while already rolling at 50ish is where it sucks badly. When I'm loaded down with camping gear and rolling up grades in the mountains, I can't hardly keep speed at 30 mph. Trying to keep up with traffic on hills sucks and that's what I want to change. The added bonus of a little better fuel mileage with better power makes it desireable to me. But the work to do it is what's making me not want to do it. I'd love to keep it all Toyota, I'm not a purist but just so everything works together better. Anyway, it's not like I've got the time/money to do anything right now but I'm just thinking for the future.

Vortec!

Just saying ...

It's fun stompimg the gas pedal at 65 mph and feeling the truck leap forward. Plus blowing off jeep wranglers at stop lights is super fun. :grinpimp:

Finally got a few projects completed on the 60 to do list. Cleaned the engine bay. PO solution to leaking PS pump was to keep adding fluid. Many hours of pressure washing, steam cleaning and scrubbing things to get it to where I could work on it without getting covered in grime.

Desmog, remove PO wiring mess, replaced the leaking PS pump with a Saginaw conversion kit from Georg, hood strut mod, and a minor tune up with new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I'll do the valves and check the timing when it's cooler in a few months. Runs great.

Before, engine bay covered in years of leaking power steering fluid.
100_3908.JPG

After, hood strut mod, new plugs, wires, rotor and cap.
100_3983.JPG

Saginaw conversion
100_3982.JPG

Between this and replacing the clutch, rear main, oil pan gasket and side cover gasket I think I finally have it to where it no longer marks it's territory!

Getting things cleaned while the head is still off at the shop getting resurfaced.
Tstat housing upper and lower and rear heater pipes scrubbed and made shiny. Rust around the pipes scuffed off w/ fine sand paper and some elbow grease.
I opened up my block to check on its coating of oil on the cylinder and scraped my nail along the inside of the 4 middle ones and zero gouges were felt.
Things are looking good for the future of this old girl.

IMG_6779.JPG

IMG_6782.JPG

IMG_6784.JPG

A few weekends ago I installed a city racer Fuji carb on my 60. I set the idle and chased a vac leak and It ran better than my dirty stock carb. My 2nd new VTV arrived Saturday, so today I connected the vac lines for dizzy, evap, and advance as shown in this thread:

My Desmog Keeping HAC Lots of Pics

And did the lean drop method for tuning outlined in this thread:

First-time lean idle drop...help!

I'm at the BB at 650 RPM, 3.5 turns out on mix, and idling at 650 RPM. My truck is driving much better than before.

IMG_0835.JPG

I even passed the paper clip test.

IMG_0836.JPG

The next step is to figure out how to get stock carb rebuilt and dizzy recurved by the whisperer. Then it is brakes, clutch, RMS, and chopping rockers and rear quarters.

Last edited:
:grinpimp:

It's fun stompimg the gas pedal at 65 mph and feeling the truck leap forward. Plus blowing off jeep wranglers at stop lights is super fun. :grinpimp:
Back in '75 I was working outside of Las Vegas and had a Mustang pull up beside me at a light on Rancho and rev his engine while looking at me and my '66 Mercury Cyclone GTA. I didn't pay any attention to him, and we pulled up side-by-side again at the next light, the last light heading out of town. Same thing this time, he was driving right alongside me, so I decided to stomp on the gas pedal at 45 mph while downshifting my floor shift automatic into 2nd. I was up to about 65 mph in a couple of seconds when I shifted back into 3rd and he was nowhere to be seen. Was doing a modest 85 mph when I decided he wasn't going to try and catch up, so I slowed back down a bit.

Back in '75 I was working outside of Las Vegas and had a Mustang pull up beside me at a light on Rancho and rev his engine while looking at me and my '66 Mercury Cyclone GTA. I didn't pay any attention to him, and we pulled up side-by-side again at the next light, the last light heading out of town. Same thing this time, he was driving right alongside me, so I decided to stomp on the gas pedal at 45 mph while downshifting my floor shift automatic into 2nd. I was up to about 65 mph in a couple of seconds when I shifted back into 3rd and he was nowhere to be seen. Was doing a modest 85 mph when I decided he wasn't going to try and catch up, so I slowed back down a bit.

Hahaha, taking Rancho "out of town" Its been a while since you could do that.

IIRC the last two lights were at Washington and at Vegas Drive. When my wife and I moved back there in '83 we lived at Washington and US 95, in the last subdivision on the west side of town. It took us 45 minutes to drive to the base of Lone Mountain on the dirt roads.

10 years after a Vortec conversion, reverse lights are finally hooked up. Working under the truck to find the old wires and getting everything connected to the 4l60e was not fun. But now I get to do it again because I'm an idiot and didn't realize I could have run the NSS/starter wires to the 4l60e NSS, too.

dbDbLzUpSNPPDd_X2najfG6qv4jIh_G_t3R25x4BP9GU_Xgg36yrT1QoxuV2EiX2g9quscR9tQ73NzMaOc-I1EcOzR9-1JvaM7PABEMhsmFt-ddYZ33BePDql9FmrmPBhjZ7LWOPz3w=w1158-h869-no
@GetItBilly, Where did you tap in to the reverse lights? I need to do the same thing, but I'm using the Lokar shifter and decoder box. Need to run a wire from the box to the lights but looking for a good place to connect. Thanks!

So does my 62', it just takes 3 and half minutes to get it to 70.

you guys gotta fix those tired old 3FEs...mine pulled our loaded camping trailer up the 4 lanes at 55+ in 4th with AC blowing ice cold on a 105* day. and it only takes 16 seconds to get tot 70...those auto transmissions are your hold-ups...

@GetItBilly, Where did you tap in to the reverse lights? I need to do the same thing, but I'm using the Lokar shifter and decoder box. Need to run a wire from the box to the lights but looking for a good place to connect. Thanks!

I did mine like @Skrewball did here: Forge Specialties, An FJ62 gets a 5.3 LS V8

The red/black and blue wires on my truck were already sitting all taped up underneath the passenger side, so all I had to do was add some length to get them over the trans and to the NSS.

IMG_6872.JPG
Not a big job at all but I have learned to do one thing at a time on my list and get it completed.
Bought a grab bar from a MUD member maybe 3 years ago and finally installed it. Bar was a little damaged so I wrapped it in paracord.
With a 5'0" wife she needs all the help she can get.

full

seriously starting to regret the 33's on the stock truck with auto trans. she bogs her up every incline at 40...if i really push her - maybe i can maintain a screeching 50.

also - checked the speedo/trip odometer against mile markers...the 33's put the speedo off by 1/10th (on the slow side) so actually when i'm bogging up a hill at 40 - i'm actually doing 44...

and lost a full 2 MPG.

seriously regretting the 33's.

I learned that on my 55. my 62 will keep its 31s for now...someday, she might get some 235/85/16s...but 33s are too much for the auto and 4.11s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom