Bumbles Bounce Don'tcha know.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Threads
This is mostly just a place for me to keep up with my Bumble. I really don't have any grand plans, just get it cleaned up good, give it a good tune-up and use it.

Its nothing fancy. 1997 F250 HD Crew Cab short bed 4wd. 460 big block backed by a slushbox. It does have a rebuilt title, but the guy I bought it from didnt know why and other than some odd badges and an odd door panel, I can't really find any hard proof of a major accident or such. The frame is straight and solid and all the body panels and glass is good so I really have no idea. Honestly I got it at a good price and for my purposes having a rebuilt title isn't an issue.

Some of the pics may be repeats from some of my misc posts.

Anyway, shall we begin.

Little backstory. I have been looking on and off for a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab. Always had a thing for the old body style (OBS) Fords and would love to have found a 7.3 truck. Anyway, one afternoon while talking with a buddy about how I could never justify the costs being asked for even a 300k mile OBS truck and that I had decided for my purposes that I was just going to start looking for a BB truck, since the older BB trucks can generally be found with lower miles in good shape for about half what a diesel would be, and even at <10mpg, no more than it would be driven annually I can justify the fuel over the upfront cost of the diesel, he drops the "I know a guy" line on me. And he wasn't kidding, just so happened a guy he knew was selling his. So the following day I rode 2 hours west with him and drove it back.

0125172141.jpg

Rolled in late on that Thursday evening and so began our latest adventure.

The next Saturday I pulled it up and gave it a once over.
0128171049a_HDR-1.jpg

First to go were the to bed rail mounted boxes, then a good bath. Made it look like a different truck just cleaning it up.

0128171329_HDR-1.jpg

The big box was full of old laminate wood flooring, like completely full. I had to empty it out so I could pull that box off.

The interior is in really good shape for its age. Even the driver seat isn't showing much wear.

2016091395181747.jpg

I spent the next hour or so scraping the old tint off the driver side window. Still got the vent windows, back passenger and the rear glass to go, but dang after that madness, they can weight.

So after the once over I came up with a short list.

• New tires and wheels. I tried to make myself like the black wheels, but I just couldn't so I shopped around and found some on sale.
  • All new window track felts and new belt moldings all around.
  • Replace head and taillights. The DS taillight was separated from the lense and the DS headlight wasn't properly changed and the build melted itself into the housing, plus all 4 are foggy and faded.
  • Plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc. Just a good time-up.
  • New exhaust from y-pipe out. It needs a CAT to pass emissions down here and I can't stand the drone from the cherry bomb.
  • Fix exhaust leak. The manifold to y-pipe connection on the PS needs new hardware and tightening up. Hope that gets it, but well have to get that one before I'll know if there are any others.
  • Radio. It needs one. I drove it home listening to Pandora on my phone. Works, but not finished.
  • Trailer wiring. Have a plug and controller laying around that I will get wired up.
  • Long term gonna keep an eye out for a D60 to swap under the front. Nothing wrong with the ttb 50, just dont plan to put a lot of money in it long term.
Yeah, it is a decent "to-do" list, but it is all as I go stuff. We can gas it up and cruise around on the weekends if we want, and have several times already. Hannah likes it and so does E. Its just an old full size and I like it that way.

Next up new socks and shoes...

Last edited:
So first thing on the list was new shoes. The old tires actually had decent tread on them, bit I couldnt make myself like the black wheels. I hunted and hunted and came up with a wheel and tire combo from 4wheelparts. Tires were like 20% off, wheels close to 50% off, no sales tax, free delivery, blah, blah, anyway I pulled the trigger and about a week later this showed up at the office.

0201171110.jpg

Had to take a looksee.
0201171116.jpg

285/75 R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs load range E, on some ProComp polished 16x9 wheels.

I had to haul them home 2 at a time in the jetta. One in the trunk and one buckled in the back seat.

So on a cold Saturday I bundled up and mounted them up. The big box also was gone by then.

Like a different truck.
0204171540a_HDR-1.jpg

I had also gotten some parts from Bronco Graveyard and I went ahead and replaced the tail-lights while I was at it.

Before on right, after on left.
170204_230500_COLLAGE-1.jpg

And with that I called it a day.

Next up, headlights and exhaust.

The headlights on these trucks aren't that difficult, but the little clips they use are a serious PITA to get loose. It took me an hour or 2 to get the DS done and I still lack the PS, but at least I have 2 working headlights now.

Old
0225171623a.jpg

New
0225171623.jpg

So now that folks can see me coming and going it was time to move on to some tunes for the road.

I went digging thru some of my stash and came up with some goodies. Wanted a head unit with Bluetooth and the rear corner speakers are an odd size so after some crutchfield time I assembled a pretty good assortment I think.

0305171911-1.jpg

I picked up a Kenwood headunit and a pair of Pioneer 6x8 2-ways for the rear. I pulled the momo components, the punch HE 8's and the Polk Amp out of the old stash box. I've had the components and the subs in storage for over 10 years, NIB just never got around to installing them.

The 8s will come a little later, they need a box and an amp so for now just gonna get the regular speakers mounted and have some tunes.

Last edited:
So I made some time after church last week to get started on the speakers. I'm not entirely sure what did and didn't work so I just figured I'd pull it all. The front doors will be getting the components which will be a little more involved so I figured I do the rear corners and just see if that wiring was good back there or if that was gonna need replacing too.

Pulled the rears out. It is interesting that the speakers are mounted to the covers and the covers to the interior trim.

0305171656.jpg

Old vs. New

0305171717.jpg

Made for Ford's, says so right on the speaker. :)

0305171726.jpg

And ready to go back in with the supplied harness adapters.

0305171736.jpg

And this weekend I went ahead and soldered up the harness plugs and installed the HU and BAM, noise. The front doors are either not hooked up or are completely shot, but the rears seem to be good to go.

HU is in, but will have to come back out for the patch cables to be installed for the component amp.

0312171659.jpg

I plan to mount the amp under the middle seat up front, probably put the crossovers either under there or in/ around the kick panels. Woofer in stock local and the tweeters will be going in the sail panel. All that fun will have to wait for a warmer day.

So now I'm all caight up and ready to move forward.

Not sure where we go from here, but hopefully soon there will be a picture of a big white ford hooked to a trailer hauling a big white 80....

Where did you get the head lights?

Old Body Style. Refers to mostly 87-97 ford F-series trucks, but is also kind of a catch all for the pre-Superduty trucks.

I've always liked the F350 and F250 of the last couple years of the year range noted...

Got a ball joint Dana 60 in the works. Not in any kind of hurry as the 50 isn't giving any issues, but I figure if I get one, then I can got thru and get it rebuilt and have it waiting in the wings for when I feel froggy or just to have. I tell you what, finding a ford D60 that is not a superduty axle is like hunting hens teeth. They don't seem to come up very often these days, and if you want/need a kingpin unit, well get the checkbook out cause they are bringing big money these days.

Well Bumble decided to kick up on me last Saturday and didnt want to start so I went ahead and picked up the usual suspects to try and chase it down.

First dropped in a new battery. The old one may be fine, but I had been getting some odd voltage drops when checking it with the multi-meter. That didn't fix it, so then I changed out the starter solenoid, still no go, so I crawled under and started pulling the starter. Well between this burnt terminal

0520171656.jpg

And this beautifully aged cable

0520171654.jpg

I think I may have found the likely culprits.

So I pulled the main battery harness out so I could change out the bad cable for a new one. While I'm at it I think I'm going to change out the battery ends for a military style set.

go on and replace all your battery cables and stuff....save aggravation later.

Got Military Clamps, 2 GA wire, solder slugs and ends on the way. Gonna go ahead and do it right and be done with it.

the "military" battery terminals are a good setup. I need to go through my 60 and consolidate some of my wiring mess. Nothing gets me more fired up than to get off somewhere remote and have "no-start" condition for no apparent reason.

Finally got the Bumble back up and running. When I started, my torch was out of gas, so I got a new bottle of gas and got the cables finished up and then discovered that when I went to bolt up the new starter, one hole in the starter that was supposed to be threaded to accept a bolt was basically a thru hole. So another day and another trip for some new hardware. Picked up a new longer bolt and a nut to take care of my janky hole. So finally today after all the dots got connected, got him fired up and ready to roll.

Still need to make a new set of ground cables, but for now, time to make a trip to REI to pick up the Tepui.

Small victories. Finished up the ground cable to take care of some intermittent power issues. For now I just crimped and soldered new ends on the factory cables. Will eventually replace them with some 2GA wire like the starter lead, but for now, it works.

0723171646.jpg

Next on the list is to swap the ignition switch out as I am occasionally have to jump the solenoid to start. The solenoid is good so I am thinking it is the old ignition switch.

Also I am going to replace the old cab bushings to try and get the body lines straightened up.

Its hot as S outside, so any accomplishment in this weather is a win.

Great story Matt!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom