Wolf Watcher Radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off I know nothing about two-way radio. In Yellowstone National Park hardcore wolf watchers and wildlife photographers use radio to communicate sightings. Many have hand held units. I have found the wolf watcher frequency is 464.500. There must be enough repeaters in the park for them to work in the terrain. I would just like to listen in and am not worried about transmitting, just receiving. Can anyone recommend a hand held or vehicle mounted radio for this purpose? This is really all I would ever use it for and don't want to spend any more than I need to. Thanks.

That frequency lies within the FCC Private Land Mobile Radio UHF frequencies, i.e. the commercial & public safety bands. A modern police scanner should get you reception, but check to make sure it can receive narrow band, as all the commercial radios in PLMR were required to switch to narrow band by 2013.

I have questions about how these radios work. I am a wildlife photographer who has been considering getting a radio but I am not educated in how they work. I move around a lot visiting different parts of the country. I will be in Yellowstone this May and I notice lots of radios every time I a m there.
Are you using a 2 way radio or just a scanner?
Are you broadcasting on these channels or just listening?
Are these channels using repeaters?
How do you get access to use the repeaters?
Are you able to change frequency or channel on your radio on the fly or do you have to have it programmed?

Any help or information would be very much appreciated.
Xen

This cheep radio will receive commercial band transitions (465.5). As long as you do not transmit you are fine. Get a better antenna for it and it should work for what you are trying to do.

upload_2019-1-25_10-40-13.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom