New to forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, just joined but have learned a great deal following the FJ40 threads. I've been building, undoing and redoing my 76 FJ40 for the past 7 yrs. It started as a roller and now is my DD. I went from an unrebuildable carb and dizzy to a Howell TBI and DUI ignition. Loved it but then moved back to Cali and the Smog issues. After about 6 months of searching and pricing, I purchased 90% of the smog equipment to the tube of $3000. Big shout out to Jeremiah Profitts who got me a lot of the parts.

Although not a mechanic, I've scraped plenty of knuckles and cuts on my head during the last 7 yrs, and got all the parts installed and working. Most issues were previously discussed in these forums and really helped tremendously. As luck would have it, I met a nearby neighbor, FJ40 Rob, whom most of you know, and besides becoming a good friend, also a tremendous resource.

One problem that I'll be resolving soon is that Cali won't smog mine without the stock dizzy, geerrr. Anyway, it will be on its way soon then complete, until something else goes wrong.

Sorry for being long winded, but I do have a question: Presently I'm running 35's on an SOA lift with PS. If I swap to 33's, will I notice any power difference or fuel economy? It seems like I'm not getting into the 2500 rpm range to enable the vacuum advance to engage. Maybe it is, but not noticeable. The stock carb has been rebuilt with no vacuum leaks. It idles smoothly, no hesitation and temps at 180. Maybe when I get the stock vacuum retard dizzy installed it will work better

Welcome aboard, and welcome back to California:(. Work or family considerations must have brought you back, I can't think of any other reason to it.

I feel your pain, thus the reason for my 40 being a '72 model. Next time you do this, look for a nice, clean-titled 1975 or older frame, that's a total POS and "restore" it with your good stuff. ;);)

It's a lot less trouble (and might be cheaper):cheers:.

You might want to hit up Mark in Burbank. @65swb45 he knows his way around the FJ40's and can be of some help, including smog equipment.

Presently I'm running 35's on an SOA lift with PS. If I swap to 33's, will I notice any power difference or fuel economy?

You might/should get more of each, but I can't imagine fuel economy being much, with 35s and an SOA.

Terry, my guess is you'll have no trouble selling your TBI set-up to a non-Cali Mudder.

Or pre-76 California mudder:).

Hi all...my '76 originally had a speed marker (still have it, not installed) but I'm having problems locating the two speedo cables for it. One goes from the transfer case to SM the other from the SM to the speedometer. I'm presently using the single speedo cable setup. I'm trying to use as many original style components as possible. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom