Prices LC200 vs LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I let go of my LX470 in hopes of picking up a LC200. I haven't found the one yet. I have been doing my research though and it seems you can buy a nicer equipped and lower mileage LX570 for less than the LC200. Why is this? I am wanting to make a mild overland/expedition rig out of it. I mean to say I want full bumper, sliders, and skids. I will be putting some form of smaller storage system and roof tent as well. I realize this isn't exactly technical, but didn't know where else to put it. I tried using the search tool, but nothing really came up on cost comparison.

LX570 vs. LC200 used pricing is based on the build numbers. There are more LX570s on the market.

Most of what it sounds like you are doing can be done to an LX570. The biggest differences that could impact people's decisions are:

1) AHC (automatic height control) - the adjustable height on an LX570 vs. fixed height on the LC. IF you plan to run bigger tires and want a permanent lift, the LX might present some expensive issues in terms of removing the AHC. On the other hand, if you like the AHC feature - some have also thought it might be prone to failure at some point. I think there are enough working systems out there on LX's that I can't say the concern is warranted....then again few of those systems are exercised on a regular basis!
2) To run sliders, the integrated side steps on an LX may require you to remove that body panel and replace with an LC part and potentially paint to match.

Clearly an LX can be built up though - just check out Slee's rig - it's an LX570!

Scan_zps1xk5qmic.jpeg~original

Scan_zpsmuacjqjw.jpeg~original

If you know you want full bumpers, skids, storage (ie lots of weight), to build on Scooby's comment re: AHC, you would probably want to swap suspension to match the weight and get the truck up a bit. Easier done on the LC.

The other minor nuance is how the trucks differ in appearance. Previous models didn't have such a drastic appearance difference between LC and LX. And I may get tared and feathered for saying this, but personally when I see an LX570 drive by (unless it's built which is basically never) I don't see and think "Land Cruiser". I think Lexus LX, and $$. That said... dollar for dollar you'll get better value now buying the LX vs LC.

Thanks for the replies. When it comes to a lift, I am not certain I will need one. It will serve as a main driver for me. I am wanting to run Rock Warrior wheels and tires or a wheel and tire combo of almost identical specs. I would think at most I would run a 2" lift. Based on my goals do I want the heavy duty old man emu lift if I do? When it comes to the bumpers, I don't see anyone that makes one for the LX570, is that correct? I guess that may force me into a LC then. I am mainly wanting the bumper for a winch. I know I won't use it most likely, but when you don't have it and you need it, that's when you'll regret not having one.

I think it comes down to this - for a daily driver or one that won't be extensively modified, the LX is very hard to beat. The AHC rides very nice, and it comes with more standard features than the LC with a slightly more upscale feel to the interior. If you're going to modify, the LC is hard to beat, and the 13+ in particular comes with the majority of the LX features that make it feel more up-market. We all know Slee has an LX, but he has mentioned that he will replace the AHC when a solution is available now that his is so built up and carries so much weight. Again, light building is no issue for the LX, but for any major mods the LC is a better choice. There is also a potential stigma around rocking a Lexus vs a Toyota, and I know in Colorado the LC is in higher demand for that reason as well as the ones listed above.

I'll offer a alternative point of view on AHC.

Look at the number of LC build threads that have a slippery slope of suspension mods. These suspension mods generally aren't cheap for the good stuff (which still doesn't come close to AHC in my mind). They are always a compromise between idealized trip use vs daily driving, load carrying capacity vs daily comfort, racing coilover for performance vs. longevity.

You can do a 1.25" AHC lift in 10 minutes with a 10mm wrench. Or more with a little bit more effort with some brackets. Or not at all, because it won't sag when burdened with gear or towing, and has 2"+ lift on demand when needed. With proven 200k+ mile durability. Try that in an aftermarket coilover which needs rebuilding every 30-50k miles.

AHC gives that all to you in proven package. You'll have the best ride you can get on the LC platform, with the widest breadth of competencies, and automatically dialed in dampening and performance since it's an active system.

No clearance or rust issues with KDSS for wider tires.

The LC camp is just not aware of what they're missing with AHC and they'll tell you that you need to rip out to "improve" the suspension. I wouldn't be able to understand why one would ever do such a thing as it's THE pinnacle suspension setup. I'm not overstating this, but removing for anything else is would be a huge downgrade. No brake dive, flat cornering, always right dampening for load and conditions. Lift on demand, with extra lift in low range, along with kneeling for ingress/egress/loading.

In terms of carrying capacity, AHC is pretty darn robust. I've towed a number of things, including my 28ft Airstream which has a tongue weight ~1k lbs. No squating or suspension too soft feeling. Which is an issue on the standard sprung and damped LC. If extra load is wanted, the suspension can be augmented to carry heavier loads. Airbags and coil spring spacers. In the future, there will likely be higher spring rate coils like the LX470 has now. And shocks can be dialed up, and the computer will match for conditions.

Last edited:

Look at the number of LC build threads that have a slippery slope of suspension mods. These suspension mods generally aren't cheap for the good stuff (which still doesn't come close to AHC in my mind). They are always a compromise between idealized trip use vs daily driving, load carrying capacity vs daily comfort, racing coilover for performance vs. longevity.

You can do a 1.25" AHC lift in 10 minutes with a 10mm wrench. Or more with a little bit more effort with some brackets. Or not at all, because it won't sag when burdened with gear or towing, and has 2"+ lift on demand when needed. With proven 200k+ mile durability. Try that in an aftermarket coilover which needs rebuilding every 30-50k miles.

AHC gives that all to you in proven package. You'll have the best ride you can get on the LC platform, with the widest breadth of competencies, and automatically dialed in dampening and performance since it's an active system.

The LC camp is just not aware of what they're missing with AHC and they'll tell you that you need to rip out to "improve" the suspension. I wouldn't be able to understand why one would ever do such a thing as it's THE pinnacle suspension setup. I'm not overstating this, but removing for anything else is would be a huge downgrade. No brake dive, flat cornering, always right dampening for load and conditions. Lift on demand, with extra lift in low range, along with kneeling for ingress/egress/loading.

In terms of carrying capacity, AHC is pretty darn robust. I've towed a number of things, including my 28ft Airstream which has a tongue weight right under
If extra load is wanted, the suspension can be augmented to carry heavier loads. Airbags and coil spring spacers. In the future, there will likely be higher spring rate coils like the LX470 has now. And shocks can be dialed up, and the computer will match for conditions.

This LC camp member is aware. Still not interested in AHC.

When it comes to the bumpers, I don't see anyone that makes one for the LX570, is that correct? I guess that may force me into a LC then.
@Ali FJ80 was the self-proclaimed guinea pig to install the Dobinsons Stainless Loop Deluxe onto his LX570 this past week. It required some custom trimming of his original bumper cover due to the differences in the Lexus vs Toyota. I think it came out very well!!

View attachment 1390369

View attachment 1390370

View attachment 1390371

View attachment 1390372

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dobinsons-front-winch-bumper-options.963110/reply?quote=10803373

See the post above, great resources on MUD to see what others have done to modify a aftermarket LC bumper on an LX

In terms of carrying capacity, AHC is pretty darn robust. I've towed a number of things, including my 28ft Airstream which has a tongue weight right under
If extra load is wanted, the suspension can be augmented to carry heavier loads. Airbags and coil spring spacers. In the future, there will likely be higher spring rate coils like the LX470 has now. And shocks can be dialed up, and the computer will match for conditions.

Many of us are aware and have chosen against it, and in fact I would venture most in the "LC camp" have done extensive research into their choice of vehicle before plunking down $25k to $80+k on their vehicle. We all know how much you love AHC, and that's great because it is a good system for a wide range of uses. It's not the pinnacle suspension setup for constant, heavy static loads you get when you fully build out a 200 however, and you can look around the world to see how many rigs Toyota/Lexus outfit with AHC compared with the conventional suspension for evidence it's not the best tool for longevity, durability, capability and simplicity. I've driven quite several stock LX570s, and I would not call it flat cornering or sporty. It felt extremely soft and comfortable (tried in multiple settings), but it still definitely felt a bit wallowy and top heavy. The LC with aftermarket suspension handles more neutral and "sporty" IMO. To say one of the setups is vastly superior and ignore the strengths of the other is shortsighted, and it's clear that both the LC and LX are excellent with pros/cons.

I made a similar choice this year after looking for over a year. Wasn't really in a position to travel to far and every LC was higher priced, and literally sold the first day it was listed. I ended up buying a higher mileage lx.

The only two negatives for me have been that perception of driving a lexus and the slightly worse approach/departure angles. I think that gets worse with some of the newer ones.

Even though my truck will probably spend a lot of the time offroad I think it ended up being the better choice. I really don't like modifying vehicles because it has always caused me to wear components out faster and add to the cost of ownership. I use my truck as a tool to see the mountains and get to places I couldn't otherwise. Most of the time that doesn't include hardcore offroad conditions where those mods are needed.

The AHC has worked really well for this type of use for me. I have been quite surprised how fast I can travel down some of the rockier forest roads and climbed over some nasty stuff on occasion.

I think it comes down to are you buying a truck just to challenge your vehicle in difficult offroad conditions you probably want the LC otherwise the LX will probably also work out well.

This LC camp member is aware. Still not interested in AHC.

I will be the first to accept it's not for everyone, especially yours to the degree you've modified it (awesome rig btw). Although AHC is a far better fit for more people than their willing to accept.

Awareness is not the same as understanding. There's a perception issue because every time this gets brought up in an LC vs LX discussion, the first qualification on the LX is how you can't rip it out - as if it were designed for mall running. Contrary to this, the reality with an LC, is that you have to rip it out because it will be inadequate for aggressive loads and use. This doesn't apply to the LX, as it is quite competent to some measure of extended loads and use.

Many of us are aware and have chosen against it, and in fact I would venture most in the "LC camp" have done extensive research into their choice of vehicle before plunking down $25k to $80+k on their vehicle. We all know how much you love AHC, and that's great because it is a good system for a wide range of uses. It's not the pinnacle suspension setup for constant, heavy static loads you get when you fully build out a 200 however, and you can look around the world to see how many rigs Toyota/Lexus outfit with AHC compared with the conventional suspension for evidence it's not the best tool for longevity, durability, capability and simplicity. I've driven quite several stock LX570s, and I would not call it flat cornering or sporty. It felt extremely soft and comfortable (tried in multiple settings), but it still definitely felt a bit wallowy and top heavy. The LC with aftermarket suspension handles more neutral and "sporty" IMO. To say one of the setups is vastly superior and ignore the strengths of the other is shortsighted, and it's clear that both the LC and LX are excellent with pros/cons.

And it's not wrong to choose against it. Only to assume that it may not work for others. Contrary to popular lore, it is very durable and capable. The only thing I'll accept is that it's not simple. And for that, it's not appropriate for all regions as it requires technical expertise to service. At the same time, with the information on these forums, it's perfectly serviceable and modifiable as DIY.

Your short experience with AHC doesn't characterize it right. Feeling soft and comfortable, does not mean it's not sporty when it comes to an active suspension. Why should it feel stiff and truck-like when just rolling down the road? An active suspension firms up when needed, and can be compliant at other times. Because it's not one big compromise like a static suspension.

I'm not trying to be on my high horse in saying I drive a Porsche on alternate days to the LX, but if it helps qualify my perception... this big LX570 surprises me with it's combination of compliance, capability, and sportiness all rolled into one.

I will be the first to accept it's not for everyone, especially yours to the degree you've modified it (awesome rig btw). Although AHC is a far better fit for more people than their willing to accept.

Awareness is not the same as understanding. There's a perception issue because every time this gets brought up in an LC vs LX discussion, the first qualification on the LX is how you can't rip it out - as if it were designed for mall running. Contrary to this, the reality with an LC, is that you have to rip it out because it will be inadequate for aggressive loads and use. This doesn't apply to the LX, as it is quite competent to some measure of extended loads and use.

And it's not wrong to choose against it. Only to assume that it may not work for others. Contrary to popular lore, it is very durable and capable. The only thing I'll accept is that it's not simple. And for that, it's not appropriate for all regions as it requires technical expertise to service. At the same time, with the information on these forums, it's perfectly serviceable and modifiable as DIY.

Your short experience with AHC doesn't characterize it right. Feeling soft and comfortable, does not mean it's not sporty when it comes to an active suspension. Why should it feel stiff and truck-like when just rolling down the road? An active suspension firms up when needed, and can be compliant at other times. Because it's not one big compromise like a static suspension.

I'm not trying to be on my high horse in saying I drive a Porsche on alternate days to the LX, but if it helps qualify my perception... this big LX570 surprises me with it's combination of compliance, capability, and sportiness all rolled into one.

Fair assessment

When I was shopping, the LCs carry a premium over the LXs here in Colorado. I drove both, back to back and although it sounds odd, I hated driving the LX and the LC seemed to fit just right. They're very similar but something about the LX rubbed me the wrong way. It's not that it's a Lexus either, I already own one of those too. It's a hard to describe intangible but it was a night and day difference for me.

If you reread my posts you will see I stated time and again it's a great system for a wide array of uses. I'm only stating the obvious and widely accepted assertion it's not for the heaviest duty applications. You seem post on every thread like this that people need to take AHC seriously and respect how great it is, but rarely is anyone even questioning those points.

You seem post on every thread like this that people need to take AHC seriously and respect how great it is, but rarely is anyone even questioning those points.

Not towards you specifically. Just trying to bring understanding to the community. The LX470 community went through the same thing, because the prevailing LC voices assumed that the LX AHC was incapable. So the first thing that everyone who bought an LX470 did was to rip out the AHC (as you could on the LX470 without any trickery), and assumed it to be an "upgrade". That community now has a far different perception of AHC. There's tons of LX470 owner who utilize the system to great extents.

The LX570 system is that much improved and more robust to higher loads. I'm an engineer, so my comments are not "feelings" so much as understanding of the technical facts and merits behind the system.

Outsider, non-LC owner here. For what it's worth, super appreciative of both view points. I'm shopping for a 200 myself. Like others pointed out, LX's are more available. I'm weighing many of the same concerns as OP.

AHC is unquestionably capable, and for a DD, occasional off-roader, it may be superior because of the "lift when I need it" scenario.

LC is attractive because out of the box capability is good, typical "conventional suspension" benefits (I could rip it out, etc), heavy duty image, etc .

Anyways, carry on. I appreciate y'all.

FWIW, try to determine what your total weight add-on will be, i.e., sliders, front bumper (if <2013 LX), rear bumper, rack...and all your people and gear. If you expect a net increase of 1200-1500 lbs all the time, then a LC with heavy suspension is the most logical solution. For the LX you'll be into airbags or armored LC truck shocks...doable, but not common on our overland rigs.

That said, if you can live without a front bumper and can honestly define your requirements the LX is hard to beat for 60/40 urban/overlanding use. I just wish the front end wasn't so ugly. :)

I still think my LX 470 handles quicker (steering, etc ) on the road than the LX 570, but the durability and overall improvements in the AHC in the 570 is an exponential increase in what we have on the 470/100 series.

Define your requirements...and no matter what you choose, it's not a lifetime decision. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom