Rear brakes/axle seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finished putting new rotors and pads in yesterday and for some reason I have a weird chirp, squeak from the Left rear.... should I be able to see both pads from the little caliper window or is it normal to only be able to see the rotor and inboard pad? The pins were sliding smoothly so I don't know what else the squeak would be? Also, wondering if my axle seals are leaking? Or if that could be brake cleaner runoff? It's on both sides so makes me hope (fingers crossed) its brake cleaner?

IMG_4390.JPG

IMG_4391.JPG

The sound should go away with few miles of driving. Did you use OEM pads and rotors? Are wheels binding or spinning smoothly? Also did you install the brake wear indicators correctly?

It's the hardware, those little clips thingys. One of them is to close to the rotor.

Nah I used Bosch. I'll take a look and move the clips around, those things are a PITA. What's funny is it only happens when I turn leff

Mine does the same thing, I replaced two of them and then stopped myself, the rest were fine. I know I bent one, but I can't hear it with the windows up so screw it.

The sound should go away with few miles of driving. Did you use OEM pads and rotors? Are wheels binding or spinning smoothly? Also did you install the brake wear indicators correctly?
Brake wear indicators? Also what do we think about the axle seal leak?

Your leak looks to be dried brake cleaner runoff. Gear oil is viscous and has a particular aroma.

You'd be able to check for leaks by removing the rotor and looking at the area between the hub flange and the axle. While you're at it, check for the functionality of your parking brakes.

Parking brake works great, where should I lube though? And with what? I just pulled the wheel and caliper off and nothing is rubbing, would grease make anything squeal?

I pulled everything apart and it still squeals.... The clips don't look like they're hitting the rotor.... Can grease make sound?

No, the grease is to help lubricate the pad's movement inside the caliper during breaking.

When I did my brakes, I used OEM pads and I also used the old metal clips/wear indicators and rotors. I got zero squeaks. I don't say it could be the aftermarket pads but hard to eliminate that as well. Bosch from my experience is junk.

From CamelbackToyota in AZ.
0446560220 - FRONT PADS
Land Cruiser

MSRP --- Online Price
$77.99
--- $57.21

BRAKES / BRAKE COMPONENTS / BRAKE COMPONENTS / REAR PADS
0446660070 - REAR PADS
Land Cruiser

MSRP --- Online Price
$77.99
--- $57.21

Couple of things:

After drum installed it's necessary to adjust e-brake pads, thought hole in drum. Tighten until drum will not move, then back off 8 clicks. Do this with three lug nuts on to hold drum on hub.
See post #90 - 92 Scored a 06 LC (untouched Jewell restoration)

Second, I break in (seat) new pads & rotors or freshly turned rotors. I never put new pads on old rotors not turned first. To break-in drive 35 miles per hour and hold break on, slowing but do not come to stop. Repeat three or more times.

I've never used Bosch, But factory calls for Ceramic pads which is a good idea for sure. I've had good luck with Akebone ProACT773 ceramic and Wearever Rotors for Carquest or Toyota Dealer pads & rotors.

FWIW: I see Advance Auto delivering Akebone ProACT773 ceramic and Wearever Rotors to Dealer parts depart for the shop!
003.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom