Driving Front Wheel Drive, Removed Rear Driveshaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see now reason not to drive with rear driveshaft removed for an extended period of time but better ask now that ask later when something I didn't anticipate happens. I have the center diff locked.

Rear U-joint is out on rear driveshaft. No $$ right now. Should have $$ in couple weeks. I do drive 96 mi a day though all at 65 mph.

No harm to doing it. Just lock the Center Diff. It will handle differently. Drive around a little bit and get used to it. I drove mine with either removed while I swapped out the U joints. Took me a few weeks to get around to it and scrape together funds (didn't have a job at the time). No harm. I actually like how the truck handles with the front DS removed. Didn't like it a lot with the rear removed. Do a few hard brakes and sharp corners to get used to it.

You will be fine. Thats how I got my drive shafts done, one at a time

One trip 96 mi trip and no driving or steering issues but I did take it easy this trip. It doesn't cause torque twist of the vehicle like it did with the front driveshaft removed. With front driveshaft removed and I put it in Drive it leaned one way and in Reverse it leaned the other way.

Had mine the same, fwd for a few days, and it was raining. I did pull up to a couple Honda squeegees and lit em up off the stoplight,was great to see their faces go WTF?!?! I also have the PT kit from slee and love it. Not a fan of bigger SUVs and AWD, and that's just my disliking. I can't afford an LS3 swap, so I'll never know the feeling if an Audi on 37's!

Still running on front wheel drive. Worked fine for commuting, worked fine on drive from CO to AK. Worked fine for mild wheeling in remote Alaska. Had to lock the front diff once when I got bogged down in a water hole.
Sucks in snow and icy roads.

If anyone is still watching, I do not have a CDL, or at least i have not done the modification yet. Will I be able to drive at all without one or the other? I would like to take my time replacing my u joints if i can. '95 F80 AWD.

If anyone is still watching, I do not have a CDL, or at least i have not done the modification yet. Will I be able to drive at all without one or the other? I would like to take my time replacing my u joints if i can. '95 F80 AWD.

Don't need the switch or any "mod", it's easy: Shift low range to lock the center diff, pull the diff fuse, shift high range and drive, when you want it unlocked, replace the fuse.

Wow that's really cool. Thanks. Good info. But won't that lock the front or rear diff so I can't, or shouldn't drive on the road? Or just the center? Sorry for the newb question.

Wow that's really cool. Thanks. Good info. But won't that lock the front or rear diff so I can't, or shouldn't drive on the road? Or just the center? Sorry for the newb question.

The axle lockers are actuated by the rotary switch, different deal.

Thanks a lot. I am used to shifting into 4wd standing still and getting out to lock the front hubs. I am just learning how to put this thing in 4wd 30 different ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom