FJ60 with 3FE - Exhaust Options - Input? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
Are the OEM FJ60/FJ62 exhaust pipes and flanges stainless steel? Or ???

Iirc the magnet stuck...

Just checked, magnet doesn't stick to my FJ60 downpipe, but it sticks to the flange at the catalytic converter end of the pipe. I'll check more pipe tomorrow morning.

Downpipe is SS. flange is steel.

FWIW, I welded mine using .025 steel and CO2. 75 25 would have done better,

FWIW, I found out the downpipe was SS when I had a bung for the Oxygen sending welded in and the guy was drilling and drilling a cursing the 'hard' Toyota stainless steel. He also said that's why they last so long.

Also, if you have an old CAT, the flanges on that are the same as the flanges on the top and end of the downpipe, so I always cut off the converter flanges before scrapping to save for possible later use.

Took an old FJ60 speaker magnet out to the driveway this morning and learned some interesting things. All of the exhaust pipe (downpipes and everything back to the flange that bolts to the muffler/tailpipe assembly) is original to my '89 FJ62, and all is mild steel. All of the exhaust pipe in the OEM replacement muffler/tailpipe assembly is also mild steel. On my '86 FJ60, the downpipe and section of pipe in the muffler/tailpipe assembly ahead of the muffler is stainless steel and the pipe beyond the muffler is mild steel.

I'm trying to figure out what the best exhaust system option is for my '86 FJ60 project vehicle with a 3FE and H55f. The muffler from the '86 is shot, and the tailpipe is crushed almost flat at the exit. The '86 catalytic converter is in excellent shape, it's a rust-free southern Nevada vehicle with only ~126,000 miles on the odometer when the PO last drove it in 1995. I have the complete exhaust system from the '89, but I want to use the single catalytic converter from the '86 and the stock downpipes and oxygen sensors from the '89. I'd have a local custom exhaust shop cut/re-bend/re-weld a new section from the 3FE exhaust manifolds to the catalytic converter. I also have a brand new Man-A-Fre FJ60 cat-back exhaust system I bought many years ago.

I'm leaning towards the Man-A-Fre cat-back system and single FJ60 catalytic converter, with a custom piece from the 3FE exhaust manifolds to the catalytic converter. I think my best bet would be to let the shop decide how much of the original pipe and flanges to use, including the sections with the oxygen sensor bungs (one sensor per pipe before they join ahead of the catalytic converter). I'd also provide a 3-bolt flange (I'll have three spares) for the end of the custom piece at the catalytic converter.

Any input would be appreciated.

If I go with the Man-A-Fre cat-back I'll have a very good FJ62 OEM cat-back assembly for sale here on MUD. It's different than the FJ60 system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom