Best cheap mods: fixing sloppy shock boots (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Love the new shocks; hate the sloppy way the rubber boots flop this way and that. This could really apply to any vehicle, but I have a 62, so posting here. It's so cheap and obvious that I would't be surprised if anyone else hadn't posted already, but I couldn't find it, so here goes:

Before:
offWijB.jpg

Get a length of closed cell foam pipe insulation for 1/2" pipe. OD should be about 1.75". For a normal ride height shock, I used about 4", or half of the exposed piston with the truck parked level. YMMV.

Undo the zip tie at the bottom of the boot and carefully slip the foam around the piston under the boot. wiggle the folds of the boot over the foam - it should be a snug fit without bulging.
sfk2Uzi.jpg

After:
4dwQlWo.jpg

Cool!

The best thing you can do is to cut those rubber boots off and go without them altogether. All they do is trap dirt and debris inside. They cause the shock shafts to rust and eventually the shock seals will fail as a result.

IMG_0939[1].JPG

Last edited:
Won't that potentially restrict full compression?
It's insulation foam. :rolleyes:

The best thing you can do is to cut those rubber boots off and go without them altogether. All they do is trap dirt and debris inside. They cause the shock shafts to rust and eventually the shock seals will fail as a result.
Actually, the best thing you can do is to mount them correctly.

Last edited:
Actually, Bilstein 5100's can be mounted either side up without issue. Bilstein leaves the dirt and moisture retaining shock boots up to the owner's discretion to install or not. I left mine off for obvious reasons and skipped the pipe foam mod. Yours look real nice though.

Last edited:
I still disagree w/ the foam. Show me proof of the movement and then I'll believe it doesn't restrict them.

the foam is going to hold water and will probably rust the piston.

At best, when the shock compresses, the foam will expand out of the way and tear the shock boot.

Bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom