FJ 60 F to 1HZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_5523.JPG
1HZ finally bolted in the 60 !

Nice!

As someone who is considering all future options (Currently have a 2F with 412,000 km's) can you walk thru the process so far for the 1HZ?

No idea here if you need a kit or it just bolts up to a H55F... converting from petrol to diesel... let me have it!

Nice!

As someone who is considering all future options (Currently have a 2F with 412,000 km's) can you walk thru the process so far for the 1HZ?

No idea here if you need a kit or it just bolts up to a H55F... converting from petrol to diesel... let me have it!
There are some great build ups in the diesel tech section of the forums. Here is the scope of my project
Used 1HZ diesel w/ new flywheel, clutch, H55f 5speed.
Rebuild transfer case
Rebuild steering gear
Swap battery location
Total rewrire under hood

Thanks. I just wondered.

They supplied a "conversion kit" in a loose sense of the term.
If you want definitive advice on this conversion I would talk to George at Valley Hybrids in Stockton CA.

The simplicity of the 1HZ is amazing. Still gathering miscellaneous parts for my build and hope to get started in a few weeks. The turbo - while expensive - is a game changer for this motor. But it has to be done right or you can really put the motor at risk.

The 1HZ produces some high operating temps and with or without a turbo, a pyrometer is a good investment so you can monitor those temps. A turbo / Intercooler is even a better investment.

So how is the performance of the 1HZ in a 60 without a turbo? Is it a dog?

I've driven a brand new 1HZ-H55F in a HZJ79 crew cab, literally brand new 2016 (couple years ago). Yes they are slow, but very smooth, idle is quiet, lots of torque off idle, I love em. I wouldn't hesitate to put one in my 60 n/a and just enjoy it, let the gears do the work and you'll have a bullet proof motor that'll run forever. If you want to have that turbo sound, pull strong up hill, and shift less then a turbo is a must. I've driven the 1HD-T (in a 45) which you could say is comparable to a 1HZ-T, and they really do perform well, especially in a lighter chassis like a 45. Super FUN! but I digress...

I think a 1HZ in a 60 would be just fine, but that's me and my slow driving habits that keep me in the slow lane....get to see more that way :)

Its off to the exhaust shop this week for the final touch ... just waiting on some manifold studs and 90917-06059 exhaust ring to get the exhaust pipe going.

never .. ain't a rocked ship .. but if you can survive with a B or H .. you will be pretty happy with 1HZ ..

First day on the road with the Diesel !

Well? How's the performance?

"That's gonna need a turbo!!" I replaced the Engine and went to H55 trans, so its different.. I live at 7000' elevation and work at 8600' to 10,300' . I drove up to work and was not too impressed. Down in the valley at 5000' it runs much better. Im now reading up on the tuning of the fuel pump and injectors. It has an intermittent miss at altitude and definitely was not happy at above 10,000' . going out to the interstate now to see how it goes down the road at 75 mph ...

"That's gonna need a turbo!!" I replaced the Engine and went to H55 trans, so its different.. I live at 7000' elevation and work at 8600' to 10,300' . I drove up to work and was not too impressed. Down in the valley at 5000' it runs much better. Im now reading up on the tuning of the fuel pump and injectors. It has an intermittent miss at altitude and definitely was not happy at above 10,000' . going out to the interstate now to see how it goes down the road at 75 mph ...

7K to 10K feet . . are you serious .. I feel my diesel have hard time at 1K ..

Sure you need turbo and even with .. they will still have hard time at that kind of elevation ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom