Cummins Repower Survey (1 Viewer)

Would you want either a New 5.0L Cummins V8 or 2.8L in your Land Cruiser?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
TLC.png
Cummins 5.0l V8.jpg
So I have been dreaming of having a diesel Land Cruiser since I got my 1997 FZJ80 about 2 years ago. I have done a decent amount of research and it doesn't seem super feasible to swap a perfectly good running 1FZE engine for a diesel that might be a huge headache, twice the original cost ($) I thought the conversion would cost, and other potential issues (i.e. Cummins 4BT super loud and excessive vibration, Cummins 6 BT: significantly heavier &Engine/oil pan height, Toyota diesel: really need a front clip imported, etc) and the list goes on and on.

They also might be offering a 2.8L version. Which might be perfect for 40 series...

In Conclusion: Cummins is taking survey to see if there is a market to repower vehicles with a Cummins Factory Swap kit.

I am imagining my 1997 FZJ80 with a NEW Cummins 5.0 Diesel 330 HP 555lb-ft of torque, plenty of power, wiring harness, gauges work, A/C works, essentially as if the FZJ came with an amazing CARB compliant diesel and better fuel economy/vehicle range.

I am assuming if we get enough Land Cruiser guys and girls saying that they would LOVE a conversion kit Cummins might offer us a conversion kit!

Thanks for listening to my passionate rant.

Here is the survey:

Cummins Repower Survey - Cummins Engines

The 5.0L is in the Nissan Titan isn't it. If that's the same engine dirt every day did an engine swap with it. I would go the 5

I'm thinking both the 5.0 and 2.8 would be acceptable, but the 5.0 would be preferable in a cruiser that wasn't left in stock format for "soccer mom" type usage, the 2.8 would be decent for the wife to drive to work and around the city.

Not that I am against your thread, but I believe the price tag of a new 5.0 cummins was quite tall, something like $15-20K for the engine alone, conversion costs could be $3-7K+ (roughly) on top of that if your paying a shop to do a conversion.

Point is, I'm thinking it's not overly cost efficient compared to 6BT's, if I was to pick one though, it would be the 5.0 hands down.

You might have been better off running your survey on the 60 series forum. Most owners here are already committed to a diesel.

I'm excited to see these offerings hit the market. We had some gents from Cummins stop by the shop last year to discuss the potential and gauge interest. They ramped up some excitement at SEMA this year with offerings. Neat stuff in the works!

Ill bet a lot a lot of the Patrol owners with their Renault 3lt diesels blowing up would be happy to see these.

ive actually been kicking around the idea of a 45 series troopy on 80 series coils and powered by a 2.8 cummins for my Mrs. the thing is the cummins for me here in Zim is EXTREMELY expensive. it would be better if i found one of those Foton Tunlands that are assembled here written off and yanked its cummins 2.8.

but then again, why go to all that hassle if you can get your hands on a good condition 1KZ-TE for way less? i guess the whole thing depends where in the world you are and what the local market dictates.

ive wished for years that i could buy a crate engine from the states and import it here.

I'm thinking both the 5.0 and 2.8 would be acceptable, but the 5.0 would be preferable in a cruiser that wasn't left in stock format for "soccer mom" type usage, the 2.8 would be decent for the wife to drive to work and around the city.

Not that I am against your thread, but I believe the price tag of a new 5.0 cummins was quite tall, something like $15-20K for the engine alone, conversion costs could be $3-7K+ (roughly) on top of that if your paying a shop to do a conversion.

Point is, I'm thinking it's not overly cost efficient compared to 6BT's, if I was to pick one though, it would be the 5.0 hands down.

The issue with the 6BT, is I think the engine weighs about 600-700 pounds more than the stock FZJ80 engine. That alone comes with a whole host of issues to tackle.

ive actually been kicking around the idea of a 45 series troopy on 80 series coils and powered by a 2.8 cummins for my Mrs. the thing is the cummins for me here in Zim is EXTREMELY expensive. it would be better if i found one of those Foton Tunlands that are assembled here written off and yanked its cummins 2.8.

but then again, why go to all that hassle if you can get your hands on a good condition 1KZ-TE for way less? i guess the whole thing depends where in the world you are and what the local market dictates.

ive wished for years that i could buy a crate engine from the states and import it here.

I originally bought my '97 with the complete intetions of doing a diesel conversion, but one of the other things I am thinking is to wait till 2022 when I can wither import a stock Diesel VX or buy an already imported one and move most of my expedition gear over, (i.e. Bumpers, roof rack, tires, etc...)

The issue with the 6BT, is I think the engine weighs about 600-700 pounds more than the stock FZJ80 engine. That alone comes with a whole host of issues to tackle.

Indeed. I've owned one for nearly a decade now. The weight issue is solved with heavier springs or in my case airbags, lots of 6BT conversions out there with heavier springs. Most of the other "issues" are common to other swaps, except for the wiring, much much simpler with an early 6BT.

I seen on youtube some guys swapped a 6BT into a mazda RX-8 with a stockish front end. The extra weight is significant, but not the end of the world.

edit: weight difference is approx 584 vs. 1100 lbs.

Yes the 6BT is heavy, tall, and noisy. It is also powerful, economical, reliable, simple, and proven. My 6BT FJ60 has all the power I'll ever need and gets 20 mpg. The new Cummins engines are probably great but the electronics and emission regulations on new diesel engines are things I don't want to deal with.

You have an artist close to you in Salida, CO that can fit a 6BT in your Cruiser. I can't recommend him enough.

Yes the 6BT is heavy, tall, and noisy. It is also powerful, economical, reliable, simple, and proven. My 6BT FJ60 has all the power I'll ever need and gets 20 mpg. The new Cummins engines are probably great but the electronics and emission regulations on new diesel engines are things I don't want to deal with.

You have an artist close to you in Salida, CO that can fit a 6BT in your Cruiser. I can't recommend him enough.
Who is this artist?

Who is this artist?

Micah at Classic Cruisers in Salida. Brandon owns it and Micah does the 6BT conversions. They are great to deal with and Micah's work is first class. My conversion was Micah's first 6BT into a 60 and he made sure everything was done right. If you didn't know any better it looks factory.

I considered a diesel swap into a 60/62 prior to buying my HJ61. After learning about importing a 61 with the factory Toyota diesel I had to do the pro/cons list. So, after buying a semi clean 60/62 (Let's say $10k), finding an engine ($5k-$10k), and paying someone to do the swap ($5k-$10k assuming you pay someone) looks like I would have been into that around $25k. Or, I could just buy an import with the factory motor, probably lower miles, and not frankensteined together for around $20k. That is all assuming that you do not already own the vehicle.

I obviously chose to get the HJ61, and I do not regret that decision one bit. I can honestly say that even if I owned a clean 60/62 I would not take on an engine swap. After owning a rig with a Toyota diesel I can't imagine trying to throw anything else in the engine bay. If Cummins can't price this engine south of $7k I seriously don't see the point when there are clean and easily available imports out there to be had.

I considered a diesel swap into a 60/62 prior to buying my HJ61. After learning about importing a 61 with the factory Toyota diesel I had to do the pro/cons list. So, after buying a semi clean 60/62 (Let's say $10k), finding an engine ($5k-$10k), and paying someone to do the swap ($5k-$10k assuming you pay someone) looks like I would have been into that around $25k. Or, I could just buy an import with the factory motor, probably lower miles, and not frankensteined together for around $20k. That is all assuming that you do not already own the vehicle.

I obviously chose to get the HJ61, and I do not regret that decision one bit. I can honestly say that even if I owned a clean 60/62 I would not take on an engine swap. After owning a rig with a Toyota diesel I can't imagine trying to throw anything else in the engine bay. If Cummins can't price this engine south of $7k I seriously don't see the point when there are clean and easily available imports out there to be had.

This is kind of where I am at right now. My current plan is to keep building my FZJ and when I have a little extra money Import or buy a '95-'97 import and then move all my bolt-ons over to the Import :). That's what I am thinking now, I would like to see how to get a little more power out of the 1HD-FTE or 1HD-T. Seems like for what they are they should be able to push some more power.

All valid points. When I went through the same pro/con list I had:
'85 FJ60 owned for 20 years (CA emissions)
'91 Dodge 3/4 ton owned by my family since new
local salvage yard with a NV4500 cheap

Chasing vacuum leaks & emission failures on the 60 was getting old. The Dodge truck was falling apart around the engine and needed about $5k in repairs to be safe. Rather than sink a bunch of money in both I decided to build the Cruiser I wanted and be done with it. It wasn't cheap but the result is awesome.

I respect the keep it Toyota opinion but where I live 5.9 Cummins parts are like Chevy 350 parts. Not so with Toyota parts, Cruiser parts, or especially diesel Toyota parts.

On a recent trip I had to rent a new Ford Expedition to haul several people with luggage to another airport due to a cancelled flight. The Expedition was fine but I'd rather have my Cruiser and the Ford retails for about $65k. If the Cruiser is what you want, how much money are you really losing on a conversion?

Has anyone else noticed that www.cumminsrepower.com has taken down the survey? I wonder if that means they've made a decision on the next engine.

IMHO, an R5.0 (cost aside for now) would be a perfect swap for many of the 4x4 vehicles bigger than a jeep/4runner/FJ40. Obviously, I'd love to have the 5.0 for my FZJ80, and I could absolutely see guys putting them in Broncos, F150s (and any half-ton pickups for that matter), Grand Wagoneers, Suburbans, Tundras. Keep in mind F-series vehicles are the #2 in top selling vehicles of all time (44 million trucks since 1948) and the only truck/SUV in the top 25. Point being: there are more half-ton trucks out there on their last limb that Cummins could market to for a heart transplant.

I think the R2.8 is a great fit for Jeeps, 4runners, and FJ40s. That being said, the USA generally likes bigger vehicles, and we've missed out on diesels in the large SUV/half-ton truck class that have been seen overseas - such as the 1VD-FTV in the 70series and 200 series land cruisers.

I'm sure the final price tag on a swap like this will probably be steep, but if I can make the engine last 20-25+ years, I think it'll be a worthy investment.

Interested to hear ya'll's thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom