Yakima Lock n Load Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have been hitting up a bunch of different threads and finally pulled the trigger on a tip by @87warrior and got the Lock n Load | Yakima roof rack.

Apparently Yakima/Thule don't sell fixed point racks for the 100 Series in the US, and I needed to get bars rather than a platform rack, so Rhino Rack was the only available option. Didn't love how the Rhino kit looked up close, and I have Yakima accessories and like their stuff, so I wanted to go with these. If you're in the same boat, hope you find this useful.

This kit sells in Australia and New Zealand only. Not all of their online sites offer shipping to the US, but this site said they would do it: roofrack.com.au. Total cost was around $620, including expedited shipping, it got here in 3 days.

There was a random glitch - the kit they sent me was packaged incorrectly at the factory. There are supposed to be 6 unique pieces in the kit, but the one they sent me had two front adapters, and was missing a middle one. First time in 20+ years of modding cars that something like this happened. Maybe some Australian dude had too much Fosters the night before and packaged the kit wrong. I wrote an email to the vendor and to Yakima Australia's help line. Yakima Australia ended up taking care of it, the support guy I was emailing with went to a shop down the street, grabbed the right part, and drop shipped it to me. Dude went above and beyond and helped me sort stuff out when the package was stuck in customs. All he asked for in return was to take a picture of the truck with the rack in front of some famous US landmark. Pretty good way to promote customer loyalty if you ask me :beer:

Once I had the right part, the install was quick thanks to the many threads on this site - you guys rock! Factory rack removal was a breeze with all the instructions on here. This kit is three bars across, bolts into the B, C and D mount points, and produces a level plane across the three bars so can use for RTT, etc. There is also a platform option that attaches to the same feet. The feet/adapters bolt into the roof mounting points and the bars attached to these. My factory rack was mounted to A,C,D mounting points, so I had to cover up the A mount with the P/N (75557-60010) cover, and cut out a new hole in the gutter cover with a Dremel tool (spent a lot of cut off wheels cutting this out).

The kit comes with foam pads that stick onto the bottoms of the adapter feet to keep the water out. I still dabbed silicone into all of the mount holes for extra insurance to prevent leaks. Overall looks good and super well made, like all other Yakima stuff. Bonus part, the ends of the bars have bottle openers in them. Seriously. I didn't take any pics that show these, but will take some tomorrow.

Special thanks to @ga89hoss @geanes @azzaLX for answering a bunch of my n00b questions :grinpimp:

Here are some pics.

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_5547.JPG

IMG_9816.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

Dang man that's sweet and I give you props for Australian goodness too!

More pics please.

I want to see the spacing from an elevated side view.

Looks solid also.

I really like that setup, and it looks perfect for a RTT mount. I ended up with a Rhino Rack
platform which is sturdy but difficult to mount my Autohome RTT.

Looks great. I am a big fan of the longer bars, what length are those?

Looks great! Why doesn't Yakima release these in the US? I would have jumped on this option. I loved all my Yakima stuff, but couldn't deal with the "stack" height of the Yakima attachment points and rails on top of the factory setup (won't fit in our stupid low garage door openings here in TX). I settled on the Gamiviti rack and installed it this past Friday in Denver. Couldn't be happier.

Nice leg work finding a source for that rack @digitalmarker! Thank you! I am glad to hear Yakima Australia was so helpful too. Looks like the rack fits well, thanks for the pictures.

Yeah I am stoked, can't wait to try it out on an upcoming trip. They look great and feel solid.

I haven't yet tried to get into the garage with them on, but they are definitely at least 1" taller than the factory bars, so it's going to be a really tight it. Might have to take the garage door off rails, or actually just pop the bars off - I took them off last night to re-tighten to torque spec, and it took about 10" for all three.

@ga89hoss the bars are 59". I actually wanted 65" and cut them down a bit, but I will have managed with these.

And as promised, here is the picture of the bottle opener :beer:

IMG_1371.JPG

Can I ask what product did you use to re-seal the holes during installation?

Btw Yakima said you don't have to use silicon on the holes where their bolts/pads are installed but I dabbed some anyway so I can sleep better at night.

Btw Yakima said you don't have to use silicon on the holes where their bolts/pads are installed but I dabbed some anyway so I can sleep better at night.
Have you been happy with that setup? How is the wind noise? I have looked at that or a Gamiviti. Were you able to fit in the garage? Thanks

Nice - clean install!

@TXSunDevil it did great on a 300mi road trip I got it for. I was able to fit and carry two cargo boxes fully loaded with stuff. Pretty sure I exceeded the 220lb weight rating by a bunch but have three small kids and a dog so no room inside and a lot of stuff to carry. It did really well, no bouncing or movement on the freeway or rough road from what I could see through the sunroof, and felt sturdy.

Wind noise is definitely audible, especially compared to the factory rack which didn't produce any noise as far as I could tell. Doesn't bother me, it is what it is.

Haven't tried fitting it into the garage yet, too much crap in there now, but will try it this week.

Hey. Just got a white 05 LC and this is one of the first mods I'd like to make. Guys in another thread we're talking about a gap left in the gutters at the A mounting points when you pull off the factory rack. Did you have that problem? Also, how did you know where to cut the gutter trim pieces to find the B mounting points? Thanks!

You have to take the gutter covers out to locate the B mount areas, mark their placement, and cut them out.

As far as gaps for the A mounts, there are inserts/covers available - search the forum for part #s

That rack looks great and I love the functionality. I wish it was available here. What size cargo boxes do you have up there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom