Timing Cover Bolts Torque - Realtime Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the garage putting the timing cover onto my '75 2F and I can't seem to find a thread on this process. I had printed out the instructions along with the torque specs for the bolts a while back but now can't find them. Everthing is assembled, I just need the torque specs for the bolts. I found the specs in the Misc. Torque Specs thread but it says the 14mm bolts are 18 f/lb and the 10mm bolts are 43 i/lb (inch pounds!) I don't have anything that measures inch pounds. What else could I use to gauge torque for those bolts? Thanks.

Last edited:
43/12= 3.58

3.58 foot-pounds....

Use blue locktite and snug them up....do not ape on them and you will be fine.

:beer:

Timing Cover Install

Just thought I would post a few pictures of how I went about installing the timing cover on my 2F rebuild project.

To add a little anti-leak insurance to the cover, I used some Hi-Temp RTV Silcone Gasket Maker on both sides of the gasket. I used a razor blade to evenly distribute the silicone.

313576_large.jpg

313579_large.jpg

313581_large.jpg

I then lined up the bolt holes using a small pick to adjust the gasket while inserting the bolts. I didn't tighten everything down until after I got the crank pulley and bolt onto the motor.

To get the crank pulley on, I used my small propane torch to heat the inside of the pulley which causes the metal to expand. I then applied a liberal amount of anti-seize on the crank. This worked extremly well and the pulley just slipped right onto the crank with very little effort.

After all the bolts and crank pulley were in place, I then tightened everything down. By having the pulley in place, it helps to align the cover before tightening the bolts.

313582_large.jpg

I used am using a similiear method but instead of installing the black gasket sealer on both sides. I am following Poser's instructions and using the cement adhesive between the cover and gasket. I will then use the black sealant between the gasket and engine block.

I have attached several pictures below showing the round oil slinger?! going on prior to installing the timing cover. My memory does not serve me and I am not sure if this is correct? Could someone give me a pointer here?

It seams that the oild slinger is to loose after sliding past the notch.

Just thought I would post a few pictures of how I went about installing the timing cover on my 2F rebuild project.

To add a little anti-leak insurance to the cover, I used some Hi-Temp RTV Silcone Gasket Maker on both sides of the gasket. I used a razor blade to evenly distribute the silicone.

313576_large.jpg

313579_large.jpg

313581_large.jpg

I then lined up the bolt holes using a small pick to adjust the gasket while inserting the bolts. I didn't tighten everything down until after I got the crank pulley and bolt onto the motor.

To get the crank pulley on, I used my small propane torch to heat the inside of the pulley which causes the metal to expand. I then applied a liberal amount of anti-seize on the crank. This worked extremly well and the pulley just slipped right onto the crank with very little effort.

After all the bolts and crank pulley were in place, I then tightened everything down. By having the pulley in place, it helps to align the cover before tightening the bolts.

313582_large.jpg
P1000550.jpg
P1000561.jpg
P1000562.jpg

looks good there, watrout88. oil slinger wont be tight until the crank pulley snout pins it against the timing gear.

Really, be carefull overtightening these bolts.

I straighten the cover with a brass drift and hammer, and lightly install the bolts, install the pulley, and then tighten down the bolts, with a large screwdriver on most and a 10mm ignition wrench actually. once the permatex or other gasket adhesive sets up, I will lightly snug them with a 10mm wrench, making sure that I dont squeeze the gasket out. Also, dont forget about the 14mm bolts. again, sealant on the threads...

You want to make sure that oil slinger is not in contact with the cam gear.

I dont recall seeing an oil slinger in my vast array of parts.

Should all 2F's have this?

Any secret to fitting the front seal into timing cover?

Mine looks like a tight fit and dont want to force it.

I dont recall seeing an oil slinger in my vast array of parts.

Should all 2F's have this?

Any secret to fitting the front seal into timing cover?

Mine looks like a tight fit and dont want to force it.

Oil slinger went away after 08/80....

Front seals are tight.

I put a little lube (oil/grease, very lightly) on the outside of the seal so that it will slip into the housing a little easier.

:meh:

Oil slinger went away after 08/80....

Front seals are tight.

I put a little lube (oil/grease, very lightly) on the outside of the seal so that it will slip into the housing a little easier.

:meh:

Thanks! Mine is Jan1981.

I will try the ole lube trick. Funny how that seems to be the answer to a lot of problems! ;p

I just about have the timing cover installed. Here are a few photos of the install. I first heated the harmonic balancer in the oven at 200 degrees for about 20 minutes. While I was wanting for it to heat up. I installed the black sealer on the gasket, I installed the bolts loosely with blue thread lock. After the over timer went off, I used a 2x4 to pound the balancer on. I was a little concerned that I may bend the pulley so I then used a large socket and extention to pound it on rest of the way. Once it was as far as it could go. I tightened up the bolts with a 1/4" socket. Hopefully not tight!!?!

What type of sealant is to used on the two lower bolts? Do I use the peratex?

What size socket do I need to tighten up the large nut on the timeing cover? 46mm?

looks good there, watrout88. oil slinger wont be tight until the crank pulley snout pins it against the timing gear.

once the permatex or other gasket adhesive sets up, I will lightly snug them with a 10mm wrench, making sure that I dont squeeze the gasket out. Also, dont forget about the 14mm bolts. again, sealant on the threads...
P1000563.jpg
P1000564.jpg
P1000565.jpg

I like to use something more tacky than permatex RTV. There are a number of good sealant meant for threads. Permatex #2 or something like that, its a thick molases consistency sealant the local machine shop uses for headbolts on chevys. They swear by it. It seems to stick to the threads better when threading the fastener in.

Good to know, thank you. I will get going on it tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom