Tubing notcher, what are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.durangomagazine.com
I'm in the market for a tubing notcher of the hole saw variety. With very little research so far this Baileigh unit looks appealing.

IMG_0961.JPG

Tube Notcher, TN-250, Hole Saw Pipe Notcher | Baileigh Industrial

At $595 + freight I'd better be happy with it for my occasional usage.

My only experience with one is the entry level JD Squared unit. I thought it sucked.

IMG_0960.JPG

JD Squared, Inc. - TN-100

That one is only $200. It worked OK at 90° but at an angle it left much to be desired.

I used the JD2 Notchmaster for years with no issues.

63_1_.jpg

C,

I have the same NotchMaster that Stan has. Mine is only 2-3 years old though. I've had to rebuild the T-handle twice. Once because it bent and the other due to threads being chewed up. The internal threads for the T-handle on the horseshoe bracket have stripped out 3 times. I finally welded a hardened nut to the bracket and made a grade 12.9 T-handle and so far so good.

I looked at the Baileigh unit as well but after talking to someone that had it they said the tube grip plates always slipped on anything over 1.50". He ended up taking it apart and filing teeth into the plates to get it to bite better. Now he was gouges in his tube after cutting.

I make up to 200 notches a day when making rack and slider run pieces, 2-3 times a month. So, overall I probably use the NotchMaster heavily compared to most. With 95% being 90 degree cuts on 1" x .083" HREW. I should probably be using a more industrial cutter like the MB3..But VERY pricey.

J

400-vs.jpg

How do you clamp in a tube with a bend into the Notchmaster? That was the feature of the Baileigh that really stood out to me. For my upcoming project I need to notch close to a bend.
You add this widget from Swag Offroad...

JD2 Notch Master

If you look around their website you will see a few other upgrades for the Notchmaster.

Nick

Rogue Fab makes a nice notcher for a good price. Bought that and a bender from them. Very happy with both.

I have there bender and really enjoy using it. I only have cheap HF notcher and its a real pain in the d!ck. Do you have any pics of your notcher in action or finish work ?

So between the JD2 & the Rogue Fab notchers, has anybody had hands on both, or even seen both in person?

Is the Rogue Fab unit 1/4" metal?, or thinner :frown:

I saw the Eastwood ad, seems like since not even mentioned it's out - but would be great to hear about the Rogue's construction, since only it seems on league with a JD2 - esp w/ that link page for upgrade parts.

Where I ended up / JD2 upgrades:
JD2 Notch Master

@Pascoscout - how's the durability / construction on that Rogue Fab unit?

The Rogue Fab is made from 3/16" steel. Construction is good. Seems well put together and I can't foresee any issue with durability. Only part that looks like they could wear is the guide bearings and looking at them they'd be easy enough to replace. With the low RPM's and my use I doubt I'll have to find out. Lots of ability to adjust the angle and position of the cut so you can get exactly what you need.

The vise mount works ok but I am thinking about buying or making a pedestal mount. Was just using it today to make a repair piece for the frame on my sons quad. Cuts a nice clean hole, minor deburring only. No complaints!

I use a chop saw. With some practice, you can make all the notches you'll ever need.

Yup I have actually started following The Fabricator Series on Youtube. He has some incredibly simple and well explained videos.

Yup I have actually started following The Fabricator Series on Youtube. He has some incredibly simple and well explained videos.
I tried notchers, and then went the pipemaster route, but once I saw the fabricator series video I spent some time practicing with a 5' length of 1.75 DOM making a ton of notches and wouldn't go any other route at this point.
For those looking at pipe notchers, don't forget that you have to grind out the thinned portion of tube so that you have the tube nominal thickness at all points of the tube. You DO NOT want to weld to the thinned stuff. It will fail.
Oh, one quick thing to think about when notching with a notcher vs a chop saw: it typically only takes a couple of minutes for me to notch and fit with a chop saw now, vs an easy 5-10 minutes with a notcher just to notch the tube. The time adds up.

The Rogue Fab is made from 3/16" steel. Construction is good ....I can't foresee any issue with durability. Only part that looks like they could wear is the guide bearings and looking at them they'd be easy enough to replace. Lots of ability to adjust the angle and position of the cut so you can get exactly what you need.

The vise mount works ok but I am thinking about buying or making a pedestal mount.... Cuts a nice clean hole, minor deburring only. No complaints!

Cool, thank you! -Not into production issues here either-

I just rather the longterm "buy once & right" - like my welders/plasma that while support production, just mean I am 100% for whatever walks in my life from family needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom