Monstaliner Bedliner (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 79 I just did and I should have went with tarheel blue. I guess I'm going to have to paint it the same color now. I roll it and didn't go over it at the end like they said to do it is smoother . Also when it didn't cover I would use a regular roll then use there roll .

IMG_20170625_160333.jpg

IMG_20170625_160422.jpg

IMG_20170625_160435.jpg

IMG_20170625_160502.jpg

The paint on our Japanese model Silver-and-red two tone 'cruiser has really faded and is peeling back to the primer in places. I came up with with a few color combos. My plan was to do the top half in base and clear coat and then monstaliner the bottom fenders / bottom.
I'm trying to stay within the silver color family so it doesn't look out of place when the hood is opened etc. Also, I'm thinking I should stick to solid colors (non-metallic) since I want to remove the doors to paint - don't want to have to worry about any metallic paint matching exactly after it's reassembled. What color / combo looks best (sorry if it looks like any of your trucks here - I just googled these and 'shopped as best as could) ? I'm leaning towards white / pyroclastic w/out or with trim (if I can get it looking better). Any other combos that might work?

Original Silver / Red
gray_and_red_original.jpg

Toyota Cement Gray
cement_gray_paint.jpg

Cement Gray / Black Liner
black_liner_cement_gray_paint.png

White (code # 045) / pyroclastic liner
pyroclastic_liner_white_paint_no_trim.png

White / pyroclastic liner w/ trim
pyroclastic_liner_white_paint_with_trim.png

Here's how our ute turned out in Monstaliner. Still need to modify the bed and then paint it
IMG_7918.JPG
IMG_7920.JPG

Interesting how great the monstaliner came out on the white rig, Wow!

Can I ask how all you guys are filling the holes in the 80s when you removed your flares?

Can I ask how all you guys are filling the holes in the 80s when you removed your flares?

Some people weld them shut, while others prefer using some sort of aluminum tape and coating the liner on thick.

The paint on our Japanese model Silver-and-red two tone 'cruiser has really faded and is peeling back to the primer in places. I came up with with a few color combos. My plan was to do the top half in base and clear coat and then monstaliner the bottom fenders / bottom.
I'm trying to stay within the silver color family so it doesn't look out of place when the hood is opened etc. Also, I'm thinking I should stick to solid colors (non-metallic) since I want to remove the doors to paint - don't want to have to worry about any metallic paint matching exactly after it's reassembled. What color / combo looks best (sorry if it looks like any of your trucks here - I just googled these and 'shopped as best as could) ? I'm leaning towards white / pyroclastic w/out or with trim (if I can get it looking better). Any other combos that might work?

Original Silver / Red
View attachment 1486147

Toyota Cement Gray
View attachment 1486153

Cement Gray / Black Liner
View attachment 1486154

White (code # 045) / pyroclastic liner
View attachment 1486155

White / pyroclastic liner w/ trim
View attachment 1486156

Dude I love the Cement Gray color, I was chewing on that for mine too...

Thanks, long project of rust repair and I was really looking for a finish that accomplished a few things:

1. I did not want to spray. I do not have a good workspace to do that and after brush / rolling everything I feel like it is better sealed than when I had sprayed parts.
2. I wanted a finish that at best could be hosed off. I painted it "nice" 15 years ago and never waxed or really washed it, it's a tool and I use it.
3. I did not want it to look too rough. In hindsight I wish I had experimented more but it is tough with the pot life. I did the roof with the monstaliner rollers so it has more texture and then moved to the small foam rollers for the rest. The larger areas like the hood would be easier with a smooth foam 9" roller.View attachment 1454221 View attachment 1454222 View attachment 1454223 View attachment 1454224

Your surface prep must have been exceptional, thats one of the best jobs I've seen with regards to the trim, hardware, etc. Very nice.

Steel stick. Check the build thread in my signature

So what is the general consensus for the amount of Monstaliner needed?

Are people getting good coverage with 2 gallons?

Thanks
I needed three gallons

Think it all comes down to how thick you are laying on the coats. From what I have seen/read most lay the first coat on fairly thin with the second being a bit thicker. First coat should be thin but have very few see through areas and the second should just be a "filler" type coat.

I recently painted the top and the lower body on my daughter's 1985 4runner because the fiberglass on the top was coming apart. The black ML covered it very well and I don't feel like it gets as hot inside during the hot summer sun.
V__3323.jpg

I also rolled ML on my FJ55 also. It is white, black, and "Don't Yell at Me". Very pleased with the results. If I can say the worst thing about it that would be that the attention this truck gets now.
IMG_0325.JPG

I ordered a ML color chip in white. It's really bright, especially when held up against my white '00 LC.

I plan on MLining the rockers and rear bumper cover.

Can I put in less of the white pigment to tone down the brightness of the white? Say only 5oz instead of 8oz?

I'd like the end result to be a little closer match to the OEM paint.

I ordered a ML color chip in white. It's really bright, especially when held up against my white '00 LC.

I plan on MLining the rockers and rear bumper cover.

Can I put in less of the white pigment to tone down the brightness of the white? Say only 5oz instead of 8oz?

I'd like the end result to be a little closer match to the OEM paint.

From my understanding adding less color (5 oz) will only result in poor coverage. It will not actually change the color or tone it down. Depending on what color your rockers are to begin with you may still see the original color through the monstaliner.

OK, I might buy the white monstashade pigment and the light gray. Then add some gray until the white is a little less bright. The Monstaliner white color chip is really bright compared to the '00 LC OEM paint.

How does Monstaliner do in a truck bed while raking a shovel across it? I want to line a M416 military trailer with something, and I plan on using it as a regular trailer.

I got a sample of Durabak, and I'm not sure how the rubbery texture will hold up to raking a shovel across it over a few seasons of mulch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom