Oil sender light problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

63cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I thought I had a bad oil sender unit so I had Cruiser Outfitters send me a new oil sender unit and the oil pressure light is still on. Since I had a mechanic check the oil pressure and it was OK, where should I look next. I thought maybe I had some crap in the sender hole so I cranked it without the sending unit. Not a smart move. Didn't realize that much oil would pump out. So...that is not the issue. I have read on mud that you shouldn't use tape on the threads because it needs to ground to the engine. So that should not be the problem. I disconnected the wire and the light goes off so no short. Ideas?

did you get the correct sender? I was thinking the early ones are different than the ones with the guage.

Not sure. Bryce helped me at cruiser outfitters with an aftermarket sender. I had told him I had a 63.

This was just a week ago, have not dealt with it. I was going to go to NAPA and get one. I was going to get a T with that thread so I can have a mechanical oil gauge and the idiot light sending unit. I assume NAPA guys here will know which unit is ON OFF for a light and which is for a gauge.

Just double checked and with Bryce and the only sender they stock is for the light type oil pressure -not the gauge type, so i should be good there. It is almost like it is wired backwards. In other words, when i rev the engine, the light goes on and as it returns to idle, it goes off for a second which is opposite what should happen.

It should go off when you start the engine, so even at idle it should be off. There are two types of switches for lights in general, one that breaks the ground with pressure one that connects the ground. Not sure which vehicles connect the ground once there is pressure. Really sounds like you have the wrong type.

My son just left for NAPA to see what they might have in stuck. Will update you if he finds one and we test it out.

I've seen senders that make contact on pressure but they are not usually used for warning lights, more likely a hot for a choke heater (AMC used to do that). I'm wiring in both gauge and light oil sensors, one for the gauge and another for an extra 'look at me' light and as a relay activation switch for a choke heater (uses backward logic and the 87A terminal on a 1C type relay).

Just double checked and with Bryce and the only sender they stock is for the light type oil pressure -not the gauge type, so i should be good there.

This is incorrect. They only stock the variable sensor for use with a gage.

The idiot light pressure switch is a Cruiser part that is: a. rare, and b. reliable, so is not stocked.

The toyota oil light switch is available from rockauto for $1.39.
1990 TOYOTA COROLLA 1.6L L4 Oil Pressure Sender / Switch | RockAuto

Thanks Jim. Appreciate the response on what turns out is a simple solution.

My son got the one from NAPA, told them a 1982 Canadian Landcruiser with the 3.4L diesel, which I am sure is the exact same part as the corolla one. Works great, light is on, start it up light goes off.

Thank you all. I will move in that direction although I checked rock auto per Jim's response and you can't beat the price.

Problem solved. @FJ40Jim advice solved the problem with a $2.00 part from rock auto and a new $1.50 connector from @Coolerman. Might be the cheapest problem I ever have to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom