Built LXs?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, really digging the LX's! I was in the market for a 200 Series LC and came across a super clean 2008 LX570 and after checking out SLEE Offroads build and chatting with Christo I decided to pull the trigger.

I am trying to decide if I want to keep the stock 20's and throw on some 275/65R20 (34.1" x 10.8") Duratracs (I've run through 3 sets on the FJ and love them, especially in the snow) or switch the Tundra RockWarriors with a 285/75R17 (33.8" x 11.2") and try out the Nitto RidgeGrapplers.

Any feedback on ride quality and handling on the 17" vs. 20" and any other observations? This will primarily be the family roadtrip machine and my daily driver, but nearly all of those road trips will include camping and 4wheeling but I do want this build skewed more towards comfort and road manners than the FJ. Any feedback on the RidgeGrapplers road manners or snow performance?

Are you guys running ~34" tires having any rubbing issues? How does the 5.7L pull with the larger tires? Any regrets?

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I'll be contributing some photos of my own to this thread shortly!

I am running 275/60/20 Toyo AT2 which is about 33". I have only had them for a couple weeks and Im happy with them so far. It did knock my milage down a bit. There is obviously a little more tire noise as well.

Concerning the 5.7 and the larger tires there might be a slight difference in performance but its very little. Off the line at a red light i can tell its a little slower. But towing i really dont notice much change. I normally tow equipment around our property that weights 5000 - 8000 lbs and it has not problems at all. Initially I was concerned that it would impact the low end (getting the weight moving) on the heavier loads, but the 5.7 is a beast. I really cant tell any difference at all

Hope this helps,

I wouldn't call mine built but I've got the ARB Sahara bar on there, 275/65/20 BFG KO2, and a set of rocker panel covers ready to go on in anticipation of the SLEE LX sliders. Also BudBuilt skids are on the list.

I've also done the sensor lift on the front which gave me a 1" lift (in front) in all modes. Required an alignment afterwards but no ill-effects on handling/ride imo.

View attachment 1479443

View attachment 1479444

Any rubbing issues with the 275/65R20? Would you foresee any/worse rubbing with a more aggressive sidewall lug like the Duratrac?

Any rubbing issues with the 275/65R20? Would you foresee any/worse rubbing with a more aggressive sidewall lug like the Duratrac?

With stock wheels and no spacers, there is rubbing on the upper control arms at full lock, but it was pretty slight. I run 3/4" spacer/adapters in the front to clear them. I think a minimum 1/4" spacer would be needed to clear them, 3/4" gets you pretty flush with the wheel well.

With stock wheels and no spacers, there is rubbing on the upper control arms at full lock, but it was pretty slight. I run 3/4" spacer/adapters in the front to clear them. I think a minimum 1/4" spacer would be needed to clear them, 3/4" gets you pretty flush with the wheel well.

I wonder if any after market UCA's would give the needed clearance. I gained about 1/2" clearance vs. stock on my FJ switching to the SPC Adjustable UCA's. ~$150 for 3/4" hub centric adapters vs. $600 UCA's is more appealing though.

Did the spacers create any other issues? Does the tire still tuck inside the wheel well on full compression? Any noted difference in road manners?

The UCAs have a small bracket which connects to the AHC height sensor. This bracket would need to be relocated to the new UCA. I can't remember if there are any other differences with the Toyota UCA.

Spacers didnt affect driving feel much, if any, imo. Haven't had a chance to flex it all out to make sure everything tucks up okay. Will update when I get a chance. Tires are still a smidge inside the fender lip and not any wider (besides the spacers) so I hope all will be fine.

The UCAs have a small bracket which connects to the AHC height sensor. This bracket would need to be relocated to the new UCA. I can't remember if there are any other differences with the Toyota UCA.

Spacers didnt affect driving feel much, if any, imo. Haven't had a chance to flex it all out to make sure everything tucks up okay. Will update when I get a chance. Tires are still a smidge inside the fender lip and not any wider (besides the spacers) so I hope all will be fine.

Thanks for the feedback! I also noticed on the "What have you do to your 200 today?" thread you indicated you are running the 3/4" in front and the 1" in rear. What made you decide to run a wide spacer in the rear?

The wheel studs in the rear were about 1" (about 1/4" longer than the front). So going with the 1" spacers, i wouldnt need to cut any of the wheel stud off. Though i did still need to clearance them just a hair so they wouldnt contact the inside wheel mounting surface.

Also visually, it seemed like the wheels were tucked in a tiny bit more in the back, so going a bit wider in the back made them even front and rear.

The wheel studs in the rear were about 1" (about 1/4" longer than the front). So going with the 1" spacers, i wouldnt need to cut any of the wheel stud off. Though i did still need to clearance them just a hair so they wouldnt contact the inside wheel mounting surface.

Also visually, it seemed like the wheels were tucked in a tiny bit more in the back, so going a bit wider in the back made them even front and rear.

Awesome, I wondered if the rears were a little more tucked in than the fronts. Thank you for letting me pepper you with questions! I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve, the LX arrives tomorrow.

Awesome, I wondered if the rears were a little more tucked in than the fronts. Thank you for letting me pepper you with questions! I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve, the LX arrives tomorrow.

Tomorrow is here! Let's see some pictures!

Well... no epic wheeling photos yet, but I was pretty happy to see it roll off that flatbed yesterday! I was a little worried about buying a car sight unseen but this time around it worked out. The car is absolutely immaculate and drives perfect!

Initial Impressions: In Comfort mode it is a bit shocking coming from my lifted FJ on rather stiff springs. It feels like piloting a cloud, and I mean that in both positive and negative ways. It does not feel super responsive to steering inputs and it wallows around. With that said it is supremely comfortable and while riding in the back with our baby while my wife drove for a while I could see happily road tripping all day back there in absolute comfort. It is quiet, incredibly smooth and the seats in the front and second rows are very comfortable.

In Sport Mode things change more than I expected. The suspension firms up considerably. Those expansion joints that were heard but not felt in comfort mode and now transmitted right into the cabin and steering wheel. It feels very much like our 2016 4Runner Limited in this Mode. It might be placebo as I haven't read anywhere about any changes in throttle mapping between modes but it certainly feels like the gas pedal and transmission are lazier in Comfort vs Sport. When I am not hauling the family around I will definitely be leaving the vehicle in Sport Mode, it is a much more entertaining drive.

The AHC is cool, it will go into Low and High while parked but it seems once I exceed about 15-20MPH it reverts back to Normal. Is there a way to keep it in Low mode or does it automatically lower down above a certain speed in Normal too? I assume if I am in low range it will allow itself to stay in High mode?

Between my drive into Denver for dinner last night (Izakaya/Sushi Den is amazing for any of you visiting Denver for the 200 series event in Breck) and my commute to work I have averaged 17.6MPG according to the computer. I was getting about 13MPG in my FJ but I'm sure my fuel economy will drop a MPG or two after I put some new tires on this thing.

Overall extremely happy with the vehicle so far.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_4903.JPG

Congrats man! Can't wait to see what you do with the truck!

In 4Hi, the truck with stay at H mode until 19mph then drop to N
If in L mode, the truck will raise at ~8mph to N
In N, the truck will lower a bit at freeway speeds

in 4Lo, H mode will stay at that height until 30mph with an additional 3/4" if some other feature is activated (cant remember which)

thats the gist of it. details are in some FSM and manual pages floating around here.

Well... no epic wheeling photos yet, but I was pretty happy to see it roll off that flatbed yesterday! I was a little worried about buying a car sight unseen but this time around it worked out. The car is absolutely immaculate and drives perfect!

Initial Impressions: In Comfort mode it is a bit shocking coming from my lifted FJ on rather stiff springs. It feels like piloting a cloud, and I mean that in both positive and negative ways. It does not feel super responsive to steering inputs and it wallows around. With that said it is supremely comfortable and while riding in the back with our baby while my wife drove for a while I could see happily road tripping all day back there in absolute comfort. It is quiet, incredibly smooth and the seats in the front and second rows are very comfortable.

In Sport Mode things change more than I expected. The suspension firms up considerably. Those expansion joints that were heard but not felt in comfort mode and now transmitted right into the cabin and steering wheel. It feels very much like our 2016 4Runner Limited in this Mode. It might be placebo as I haven't read anywhere about any changes in throttle mapping between modes but it certainly feels like the gas pedal and transmission are lazier in Comfort vs Sport. When I am not hauling the family around I will definitely be leaving the vehicle in Sport Mode, it is a much more entertaining drive.

The AHC is cool, it will go into Low and High while parked but it seems once I exceed about 15-20MPH it reverts back to Normal. Is there a way to keep it in Low mode or does it automatically lower down above a certain speed in Normal too? I assume if I am in low range it will allow itself to stay in High mode?

Between my drive into Denver for dinner last night (Izakaya/Sushi Den is amazing for any of you visiting Denver for the 200 series event in Breck) and my commute to work I have averaged 17.6MPG according to the computer. I was getting about 13MPG in my FJ but I'm sure my fuel economy will drop a MPG or two after I put some new tires on this thing.

Overall extremely happy with the vehicle so far.

View attachment 1487419 View attachment 1487420 View attachment 1487422 View attachment 1487423

Congrats man! Just now realized your local. Sushi den is regular haunt for us also. Regarding the tire concerns if you like your more than welcome to stop by and test drive ours to see how they handle with the different size wheels/tires if you like.

Nice ride! I just went from FJ Cruiser to a silver 2015 LC I bought online from a dealer in Denver. The ride was disturbingly plush, but now I have an Ironman lift on it, it's nice and firm.

Congrats man! Just now realized your local. Sushi den is regular haunt for us also. Regarding the tire concerns if you like your more than welcome to stop by and test drive ours to see how they handle with the different size wheels/tires if you like.

Awesome, I may take you up on that! Heading out today for CostaRica but I'll be back in a week. How are the Falkens in the snow?

Nice ride! I just went from FJ Cruiser to a silver 2015 LC I bought online from a dealer in Denver. The ride was disturbingly plush, but now I have an Ironman lift on it, it's nice and firm.

I ran the IronMan Foam Cell Pro on my FJ with Medium springs and loved it! I do find I am missing the tighter/sporty feel a bit. I wonder if I could run slightly stiffer coils on the LX and not have the AHC go berserk. (Thinking more along the lines of a custom, stock length ~15% stiffer coil vs. a 50% stiffer and longer coil from a LC lift kit)

Awesome, I may take you up on that! Heading out today for CostaRica but I'll be back in a week. How are the Falkens in the snow?

They have performed very well. We go to winter park a lot in the winter and was so impressed with them on my LX that I stuck a set on the wifes LX also.

Congrats! Another vote for the Falkens. Great tires off-road, for roadtrips, and towing!

LX33s.jpg

10mm spacers required for clearance to the upper a-arms. Though 10mm is a funny number in spacer land so I went up to the next readily available size which is 1". This puts the sidewall just flush with the body with no dirt kicking past the stock mud flaps. I like the additional lateral stability with the wider track anyways.

No rubbing with very easy minor mods. Search my screen name for instructions and pics.

10mm spacers required for clearance to the upper a-arms. Though 10mm is a funny number in spacer land so I went up to the next readily available size which is 1". This puts the sidewall just flush with the body with no dirt kicking past the stock mud flaps. I like the additional lateral stability with the wider track anyways.

No rubbing with very easy minor mods. Search my screen name for instructions and pics.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Everything tucks up and clears when flexed out off-road?

I already followed richxd87's lead and ordered BORA 3/4" front and 1" rear spacers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom