What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (45 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Flatlanderfj40 are you from Arizona? I noticed the Copper State Cruisers sticker. We are doing an outing just North of Sedona this weekend. Casner Mtn run and camp out............. Nice rig and great pictures as well. I bet the kids love the 40, kids just know whats cool...............

The PO lives in Appache Junction. He and his wife were part of the club. I thought the sticker was cool and left it to remind me of the previous owners/history. The kids do love it and thanks for the comments.

@gator25 my neighbor Kevin upon seeing my 40 for the first time says "right after I got back from Vietnam I got together with two buds I served with, the one guy had a Landcruiser just like yours-Tom you wouldnt believe how much beer we had in the back of that thing when we went camping. Those things can haul some weight!" First thing I thought of when I saw your post. Have a great weekend:beer:

New rubber 33x10.50-15. PO installed 2" shackles. Ride is smoother, quieter, and I'm able to reach 70+ mph at lower rpm.

View attachment 1483597

View attachment 1483598

View attachment 1483599

Why on earth would you want to do 70+ in a 40!

It's not so bad. Did +/- 65 mph for 25 of a 27 hour trip. 70/75 wasn't bad (although I could almost see the fuel needle move. At 95 mph I was keeping up with the traffic leaving LA.

Why? I'd spent enough time in LA and wanted to reach the city limits. I was traveling solo by that point and it wasn't long after the Rodney King incident.

Last edited:
It's not so bad. Did +/- 65 mph for 25 of a 27 hour trip. 70/75 wasn't bad (although I could almost see the fuel needle move. At 95 mph I was keeping up with the traffic leaving LA.

Must not be running the mighty 2F engine!

Had to go to Tulsa the other day (75 miles one way), took the 40. Haven't put the bimini top on yet. Got a bad sunburn on my bald Head. :doh:

While heading South had a head wind. :deadhorse:Couldn't get it over 62 mph unless going down hill (315/75/16). People would get mad and pass. I just smile and wave.

Coming back North I could reach 65-70, but the 2f sounding like a Singer Sewing Machine going down the road.

During the trip down trying to get it to go as fast as I could, I thought about the old commercial where they state the LC can do 70 on the freeway (but if you notice in the commercial everyone else is whipping around them).

Gave the 40 another 40 to look at for awhile. . . just not the kind most of you are used to!

IMG_4324.jpg

Must not be running the mighty 2F engine!
I started with a 1.5 F. I was very happy with it till I spun a rod bearing. When I died in 96, I couldn't afford $3k to rebuild it or the 2F out of my parts truck.

Long story short, I swapped in a SBC out of a 69 Bel Aire for about $2k. It has been one heck of a motor... and it can (and has) run 3k RPM all day, night, and the next day without ill side effects. All the while getting decent fuel economy :D

While some are welding, primering, wiring, etc., others are engaged in the more mundane:

IMG_0621.JPG
That air cleaner element is ready for the dump! PMd Jim Downey for a replacement:
IMG_0623.JPG
A little massaging and voila!
IMG_0624.JPG
Now that Zeke can breathe properly, I expect an additional 10mph (well, a guy can dream).
Okay, now for the bonus photo - this is the tech question:
IMG_0625.JPG
I'd prefer replacing that funny looking filter stuck in the oil filler neck with an OEM filler cap. Anyone know if/why it's critical to this setup?

I started with a 1.5 F. I was very happy with it till I spun a rod bearing. When I died in 96, I couldn't afford $3k to rebuild it or the 2F out of my parts truck.

Long story short, I swapped in a SBC out of a 69 Bel Aire for about $2k. It has been one heck of a motor... and it can (and has) run 3k RPM all day, night, and the next day without ill side effects. All the while getting decent fuel economy :D

No doubt that Detroit can do it right when they want to :rolleyes:

No doubt that Detroit can do it right when they want to :rolleyes:
At least in some respects. I think GM got their 8.1L (496 CI) big block in my '01 Silverado 2500HD right, well, except maybe fuel economy. And I had no complaints, again, other than fuel economy, with the 390 CI high performance V-8 in my '66 Mercury Cyclone GTA (I really would have liked to have the 427 CI motor though).

While some are welding, primering, wiring, etc., others are engaged in the more mundane:

View attachment 1483920 That air cleaner element is ready for the dump! PMd Jim Downey for a replacement:
View attachment 1483928 A little massaging and voila!View attachment 1483929 Now that Zeke can breathe properly, I expect an additional 10mph (well, a guy can dream).
Okay, now for the bonus photo - this is the tech question:
View attachment 1483930 I'd prefer replacing that funny looking filter stuck in the oil filler neck with an OEM filler cap. Anyone know if/why it's critical to this setup?

In an OEM world, you would have an Aisin carb and the associated air cleaner... the air cleaner would have a hose connecting to the valve cover, in place of the red stub you have... that allows air to flow into the AC, to the valve cover, as part of the PCV system... e.g. fresh air to the valve cover... in a fully functioning engine.

In a not so fully functioning engine (like before I had my 2F rebuilt), the blow-by flowed the other way and spewed exhaust out that valve cover port (red stub)... if that's part of your situation, the small filter will be filtering some of that blow-by as well.

You can remove the red stub hose and replace it with the same sort of little filter, with a short piece of hose and install an oil filler plug...

or, you can go back to OEM :cool:

Currently not happy, found lots of bog (bondo) in my "replacement doors"......they looked so good before.

View attachment 1484011

Need to have a rethink.

That sucks! Looks like they built the door out of bondo.

Next time, take a magnet with you and check for metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom