Thought - Water Jacketed intake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Absolutely does not impede anything and lets all the AZ heat escape. I believe they are using 1.5" blocks.
The idea came after running the beaches in Mexico and SC not being able to keep things cool due to the heavy sand load. Every time we stop and opened the hood it would quickly cool down so we propped the hood a couple inches in front and no more overheating.

SC'r under the hood temp testing back in my SC days showed the hottest temps were back at the firewall.

Interesting. Any pics? I don't have a lot of heat problems but I would love to see it.

Interesting. Any pics? I don't have a lot of heat problems but I would love to see it.

Another CSC member without a SC just getting the AZ heat out
IIRC 1" spacers pictured
Not real noticeable but very effective.

hood_spacer2.jpg

I am doing the hood hinge spacer right now. trying to get the heat of the Cummins out in this SLC heat. it does noticeably help (I don't have exact numbers)

might be handy in the winter too to keep the window clean and preheat the outside air

People often think about pushing/pulling more air through the radiator but many times forget it has to go somewhere. The space between the frame rails and firewall seems huge but when you stuff a big engine in there and have all the crap hanging off of it the flow path isn't very clean at all.

Methinks someone should sell it as a product. Would be really simple/cheap to machine out of aluminum bar via cnc

A quick spitball idea - How about you guys in the dry climates ditching the inner fender curtains that hang off the body down to the frame, esp the PS side one with the exhaust manifolds right there?

Up here I make a point to be nice to the fasteners, and not rip out the holes of the curtains - but maybe living in AZ, NM, etc they are counterproductive since you rarely are spraying a slug of soupy mud or jumping in 6-8" deep puddles.

It might help you guys who run hood blocks move a little more air. iDK.

A quick spitball idea - How about you guys in the dry climates ditching the inner fender curtains that hang off the body down to the frame, esp the PS side one with the exhaust manifolds right there?

Up here I make a point to be nice to the fasteners, and not rip out the holes of the curtains - but maybe living in AZ, NM, etc they are counterproductive since you rarely are spraying a slug of soupy mud or jumping in 6-8" deep puddles.

I cut a lot of my inner fender out back in my SC'r days and I felt it did nothing.

What fender curtains? :flipoff2:

Methinks someone should sell it as a product. Would be really simple/cheap to machine out of aluminum bar via cnc

For spacers? I'm sure McMaster has something ready to go. I suppose a machined spacer would be prettier :p

I cut a lot of my inner fender out back in my SC'r days and I felt it did nothing.

Fair enough.

What fender curtains? :flipoff2:

Yep, was pretty sure it wasn't a new idea. Not much is anymore with these 80's.

Well, until someone drops whatever new motor is 'all the rage' at that time. ;)

I lost my fender curtains years ago. :hillbilly:
One thing I did to help under hood heat was to cut off 6" of the rear hood gasket at both ends. I feel the heat coming out of there pretty good when wheeling at low speed and with the window open.

For spacers? I'm sure McMaster has something ready to go. I suppose a machined spacer would be prettier :p

I'm thinking a simple 1x1x5 block with two holes in it spaced to fit the hood mount bolts.. which could be included in the kit.

With the claimed difference they make it could sell well enough to justify the development. I'd probably buy it.

I'm thinking a simple 1x1x5 block with two holes in it spaced to fit the hood mount bolts.. which could be included in the kit.

With the claimed difference they make it could sell well enough to justify the development. I'd probably buy it.

Knowing my stupid ass I would spend the time to shape it to match the profile. :rolleyes:

Knowing my stupid ass I would spend the time to shape it to match the profile. :rolleyes:
How about paint matching the factory colors

I put a 1.5" cowl induction scoop on my wife's 80, the hood was a dented mess from PO walking on it (idiot). You can see the heat just flowing out

10978632_921571431207082_646848260336953466_n.jpg
67976_676362272394667_2042556948_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom