Austin area auto paint recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to have my 80-series repainted (paint is faded and the clearcoat is missing from hood, roof, fenders). Anyone in the Austin area who knows of a shop who does decent 2-stage paint work?
I'm looking to not have to sell my teeth to pay for it, so will be removing the moldings, windows, fenders, doors if necessary. Hopefully there's some good shops around that could accommodate.. I called up Limon's who gave a ballpark estimate of $3500 for 2-stage job (less if I remove and attach doors myself). But that seemed a bit high to me.

Last edited:
I just had mine repainted by a friend who has a shade tree paint shop. Using PPG quality paint it and other materials was $1100 in materials alone. I stripped most of mine but he took mirrors and door handles off, and removed hood and lower rear tailgate to facilitate painting.
He and his son meticulously taped, sanded, sealed, primed and painted, then wet sanded a few times, and polished. It was with them 3 weeks, so not sure exactly how much time they spent on it, but it was quite a few days. It all adds up. $3500 with quality paint is not all that bad really.

Sorry I can't help with an Austin recommendation for paint shops...I am in Phoenix :)

Thanks for the suggestion about looking for a shade tree shop. I notice most of the big places in search results only do insurance jobs.

Berli's has the best reputation in my circle. Precision Auto Body does great work and gets to do Ferrari/Porsche/Land Rover restorations, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom