Check your lug nuts, or this could happen to you (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
And carry a few spares.

IMG_0999.JPG

Yikes. Did it really just stay rolling in the wheel well til the truck came to a stop?

Man... is everyone okay? I had a truck get inspected and the garage didn't tighten down all of the lugs on my right rear tire. Caught it before the wheel came off though.

Yea, all good, no damage and no one was hurt. Never had this happen before so it's a first.

I was driving home and had just picked up my kiddo. I heard some rumbling/shaking, figured I would check it when I got home. I picked the truck up a couple of weeks ago and had not driven it much, so could have been a gremlin. I was thinking it was a driveshaft. Anyway, I turn right and my tail starts sliding, like a flat tire when you loose the rear end if you have experienced that.

So I get out and check and all of them were loose. I was being lazy as it was about 98 degrees and I didn't want to get out the OEM jack on the side of the highway, so I just tightened them up most of the way. I was only 4 miles from the house so I would just go slow. Right before my street, I could hear it just go. I was going 20 mph so I quickly pulled over. One of the cars following me turned around - she said she saw the last lug nut fall off. DOH!

Walked the mile or so home, got the tools, floor jack, spare lugs and came up an fixed it in 5 minutes. It so happened that @aljollano was driving by and helped swap it out as soon as I got the tools unloaded. thanks AJ

Last edited:
Check the wheel carefully because the lug nut seats could be damaged and enlarged. If so lug nuts will not stay torqued. I have a stock wheel that has suffered this damage :frown:

this happens to me too on an alum wheel ..

pats my torque wrench...
never had an issue

glad everyone is okay and no dammage:banana:

My 62 was clunky and herkjerky on the way home with me for our first trip... decided I did have the time to pull over and check- even though it had old tags-... glad I did cause 2 wheels had 2 each left!!! The other wheels one had 3 and the other six... at least the lug wrench, jack and handles were in the truck at the time( and little else)...

Kids these days better learn to pump their brakes and check their lug nuts...

Glad everyone is okay....

Saw the aftermath of a wheel coming off at highway speed in Baja years ago. The truck rolled twice and one of the occupants legs was caught and his body rolled with the truck and his foot didn't. Leg shattered in 17 places and the skin ripped up from his ankle to his hip from the rotation.

The driver had new tires put on the week before and was convinced that the shop hadn't tightened them.

So yeah, important thing to check...

Important thing to torque to spec.

That is crazy s***. I have been fighting with my beater Nissan front brake for a few weeks (finally got it figured out) but every time I replaced that wheel I made sure to use a breaker bar to give it an extra pull. I am glad you and your child were okay!

Had it happen on a previous Jeep I had but it was a loose spacer. I ended up rolling the Jeep. It felt just like a bad U-joint so I intended to check it in the next town I was going through.

I attribute the lug nut looseness on my 60 to having an Aussie Locker in the rear. I think the frequent on-off actions of the locker resulted in lug nuts loosening. Pulled the Aussie a few years ago and have not had any other loose lug nut issues. I guess the message is if you are running an auto-locker check the lug nut torque much more frequently.

I had a steer come off at speed. Heard a noise like a failed wheel bearing then as i was pulling over off it came. Had it getting a balance and alignment the day before. Ive installed the nut indicators now.

I had a steer come off at speed. Heard a noise like a failed wheel bearing then as i was pulling over off it came. Had it getting a balance and alignment the day before. Ive installed the nut indicators now.

I had to google nut indicators. Man are those ugly, never seen them before on any vehicle. I am guessing that you do not reside in the US?

The local tire shop didn't tighten lug nuts on the rear wheels when I got new tires installed. Heard a weird noise on the way up to Big Bear to wheel. Finished one trail and then heading to the next and thud.

Luckily I carry spare wheel studs and had it back and running within 2 hours. It ruined a nice alloy rim.

My rear ARB chipped a ring gear tooth that trip and I'm not sure if it was related.

IMG_3018.JPG

Last edited:
That's some carnage. What is that metal piece adjacent to the studs? I never really thought about carrying replacement lugs/studs til this happened, guess I will be doing that from now on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom