Dad's 200 won't start after battery change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a call from my dad. He and a friend changed the battery and now it won't start. I am pretty sure it is a 2012, it is a Toyota 200.

details as he gave them:

He changed the battery because the old one was totally flat. Nothing would come on. Thinks my mom was fiddling with things while he was running errands. Knows an ashtray was left open through the night, and there is a light in there.

Battery change went fine, no surprises. Doesn't think he left anything off. Not his first battery change.

When he gets in the truck seems to have power, as the steering wheel goes to the right location, the lights come on, and the little green light on the start button lights up.

When he pushes the start button he gets nothing.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

What's the battery actually show? ( harbor freight or other tester?)

I know this won't make sense if you get lights, etc, but make sure the terminals areFULLY TIGHTENED. I mention this because I had a similar incident... Got some power, but then nothing. Turned out Toyota had failed to crank hard enough when they reattChed the battery. Was not visibly noticeable at all, and weird...because not totally zero. But that was it.

I don't expect that to be your issue...but it never hurts to double check the basics.

Last edited:
update, after some rechecking, hand wringing, and not changing anything, my dad got in the car and on the 5th try it started up.

According to him the only thing different in this attempt was that the parking brake was engaged.

Thanks for the ideas,
-Ted

I've noticed that whenever the battery is disconnected and reattached mine will start and shut off, a second attempt is always successful? Kinda like some type of reboot of the system

I've noticed that whenever the battery is disconnected and reattached mine will start and shut off, a second attempt is always successful? Kinda like some type of reboot of the system
Mine did the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom