Builds Barn Find 1983 FJ45 Troopcarrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi mate. Definitely great build, read through whole thing and it's giving inspiration, your shorty I have seen once before and if often comes up on the BookFace 40 series owners WA page
Really good and detailed build and hoping it brings some sort of detail to mine, personally a blacked out engine is awesome
Cheers

Hi mate. Definitely great build, read through whole thing and it's giving inspiration, your shorty I have seen once before and if often comes up on the BookFace 40 series owners WA page
Really good and detailed build and hoping it brings some sort of detail to mine, personally a blacked out engine is awesome
Cheers
Cheers mate :cheers:

The trouble started with these jack handle holders when I have taken them to anodisers. I have not realised that the spring clips were riveted with aluminium rivets which dissolved in the acid bath and get the clips fell into those huge acid tanks.. luckily they managed to rescue the clips using a fishing rod and a large magnet. Since the clips became separated from the back plate I decided to rejuvenate them as genuine. The back plate got powdercoated and the clips will be anodised and rubber dipped to keep everything historically correct.
Once all this were done I had to figure out these tiny mushroom head rivets and the way to install them.
I have drilled a cylinder head bolt to create a bucking bar.. if anyone wants to do it the correct rivet size is 3x5mm and the upset hole on the buck can be drilled with a 3.5mm bit.
The rest is on the photos..

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

IMG_3158.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful!

Agreed, truly beautiful work.

Any tips you can share on bleaching-out that white plastic cyclonic finned air filter cover?

Agreed, truly beautiful work.

Any tips you can share on bleaching-out that white plastic cyclonic finned air filter cover?
Sure, the trick is nothing but baking soda!
Take the baking soda (at least a cup) then mix it with water to make a paste. Then rub that paste on the dry plastic with a dish washing sponge. The narrows can be reached with an old toothbrush but same procedure. Once all is scrubbed rinse the whole thing in warm water. Repeat the process on stubborn stains untill they fade or come off completely.. share - let us know your results, good luck.

beautiful, do you want do do my harness as well? at least have you got some tips?
Thanks for the message.. sure I can do yours just in a little while as right now I'm flat out like a lizzard drinking. If you want to do it yourself its not rocket science.
I did mine like this:
Check with @Coolerman any hardware you may need..terminals, wires, etc
Carefully remove harness protecting old connectors from damage. Then labell and take photos.
Then remove all connectors, old insulations, tapes to get to bare terminals and wires. Check wire resistance and if too high replace those lines with similar coloured wires.
Check worn crimps and replace them. Wash plastic connectors with baking soda paste. Clean brass with vinegar and baking soda solutions.
Install new firewall grommets.
Firewall Grommet for '79 to '84 Land Cruiser FJ40
Rebuild and install fuse box. Fuse Box and Cover for '78 Land Cruiser FJ40
Re tape and re insulate the harness and put back the connectors as per photos taken at first.
You done now. :beer::beer::beer:

Cheers
Must be another one as I'm not on F.

Thanks for the message.. sure I can do yours just in a little while as right now I'm flat out like a lizzard drinking. If you want to do it yourself its not rocket science.
I did mine like this:
Check with @Coolerman any hardware you may need..terminals, wires, etc
Carefully remove harness protecting old connectors from damage. Then labell and take photos.
Then remove all connectors, old insulations, tapes to get to bare terminals and wires. Check wire resistance and if too high replace those lines with similar coloured wires.
Check worn crimps and replace them. Wash plastic connectors with baking soda paste. Clean brass with vinegar and baking soda solutions.
Install new firewall grommets.
Firewall Grommet for '79 to '84 Land Cruiser FJ40
Rebuild and install fuse box. Fuse Box and Cover for '78 Land Cruiser FJ40
Re tape and re insulate the harness and put back the connectors as per photos taken at first.
You done now. :beer::beer::beer:
thanks for that, really good. mines a dd, so i'll have to plan it carefully.

No no it

s been spotted in the city and people chuck a photo up... "spot to" just seen the troops and lx ones recently
Yeah you probably right.. noticed recently too, funny enough, it seems more 40's on the roads then before..Its kind of like people start to realise that its a very cool car and they pulling those out and back on road,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom