Front and rear diff lock operation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys

My HJZ 73 has front and rear lockers and I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help with.
1- how long should it take for them to engage?
2- I notice my front locker always engages before the rear locker (judging by when the dash light goes solid)
3- When you engage the lockers should the vehicle be stopped?
4- Do I need to or should i drive forward a bit after turning the lockers on to help them engage?

thanks a lot!

If they are toyota factory lockers...
Normally the rear has to be locked first. Then the front...
Also has to be in 4wd.
The locker works on a splined collar which slides across.
So moving slowly helps the splines align and engage. Under 5 kms
The locker controller should not let the lockers operate at faster speeds... But never tested it. The locker light should flash if too fast.
To unlock especially the front you may need to move slowly and also turn side to side to unload the splined ring collar to allow it to move.
Time to engage .... normally a few seconds... If the splines are aligned. As the controller sends a signal to a small electric motor which slides the collar across. (spring loaded)
Disengage can take a wee while. let the load come off the collar.

I don't believe the factory 7x application has a speed limit (so far as the computer is concerned) like more modern Toyota e-lockers applications.

Time to lock depends on the condition of your actuators and frankly how often they get exercised. I don't think it's uncommon for the front to go solid (lock) before the rear as the front has a much different engagement collar that seems to locker faster naturally.

My operation fwiw:

The actuator itself take about 3 segs to move ( total required travel ) so as others said before it would depends if splines are aligned or not ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom