KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sadly no, that was my first cruiser, named the "Land Shark" (the basis for my company name)... loved it but needed more power/comfort/safety to take the fam to the Rockies this year, Glacier, BC, and maybe even Alaska someday.

upload_2017-5-16_8-18-13.png

If anyone is looking for a complete tool set that fits in these drawers, I have the 204-piece Dewalt kit I carry with me that fits PERFECTLY in these drawers, with about 1" to spare on the side. Posting up since it's on sale for $50 less than I paid for it today on Amazon. Comes up as $154.99 + Tax, but you get $20 when you add it to your cart: DEWALT DWMT72165 204 Piece Mechanics Tool Set - - Amazon.com - Photo of it in the drawer for reference: http://i.imgur.com/p0kK8rN.jpg

Warning though, it is HEAVY. And since it includes metric and standard it might be overkill. I carry both so I can work on Jeeps on the trail when they break.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a complete tool set that fits in these drawers, I have the 204-piece Dewalt kit I carry with me that fits PERFECTLY in these drawers, with about 1" to spare on the side. Posting up since it's on sale for $50 less than I paid for it today on Amazon. Comes up as $154.99 + Tax, but you get $20 when you add it to your cart: DEWALT DWMT72165 204 Piece Mechanics Tool Set - - Amazon.com - Photo of it in the drawer for reference: http://i.imgur.com/p0kK8rN.jpg

Warning though, it is HEAVY. And since it includes metric and standard it might be overkill. I carry both so I can work on Jeeps on the trail when they break.

Awesome! That does fit very well, not to mention that is a great set of tools!

Had planned on installing anchor points on top of the drawers and using an elastic cargo net to keep things from flying around on top but found these and so far so good: Stayhold Cargo & Trunk Organizer for Auto, SUV, Minivan & Boats, Classic (2 pack) Gray Amazon.com: Stayhold Cargo & Trunk Organizer for Auto, SUV, Minivan & Boats, Classic (2 pack) Gray: Automotive
They don't take up much room in the drawers and I like the idea of maintaining the clean look when not needed. My only concern at this point is they may stick too well to the carpet making them difficult to take off without pulling the carpet up with them- I will report back on this over time.

View attachment 1459762
Fun Fact: Figured out today that this particular size of stayhold organizers fit perfectly inside the drawers for use as an internal divider- if you have lined the bottom of your drawers with carpet that is. The beauty here is that you can easily change the position of the divider as needed, on-the-fly based on the cargo you are trying to hall. Only downside for me is that they are just tall enough to knock into my led lights, but a quick trim should fix that.

IMG_7304.JPG

Fun Fact: Figured out today that this particular size of stayhold organizers fit perfectly inside the drawers for use as an internal divider- if you have lined the bottom of your drawers with carpet that is. The beauty here is that you can easily change the position of the divider as needed, on-the-fly based on the cargo you are trying to hall. Only downside for me is that they are just tall enough to knock into my led lights, but a quick trim should fix that.

View attachment 1461259

Just what I was looking for, thanks!

So I bought these to mount secure my fridge on top. But if you use these screws going through the top of the drawers, how do you open the drawers more than 8 inches? The screws and nut are way too long to open the drawer without it getting caught. Even if you cut off the end f the screw, the nut is still sticking down enough to catch the drawer when it opens.

I need some last minute help before my trip Saturday morning! Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Worst case I will just shave off some of the drawer back so it doesn't get caught on the screws.

Last edited:
Use some tee nuts, they insert into the wood and sit almost flush. Used them on my drawers for the L track, worked perfectly for me.
Get proper length bolts while you're at it and you'll be good to go.

Finally had a chance to stain my drawers, add the piano hinges, and swap out the black oxide screws for the stainless ones that cruzerDave was kind enough to send out! I used some leftover Minwax (Gunstock is the color) and added 2 coats of Minwax Spar Urethane. The inside of the drawers were stained with leftover ebony Minwax. Followed by 2 coats of Minwax Spar Urethane. The piano hinges work great and are stainless steel. I found them at my Lowes 16.48 (for 1) and made in Canada! I believe they are 30" in length, 1.5" in total width, and came with SS wood screws (phillips head). I still need to come up with a handle for the side wings.
Lowe's Stainless Steel Cabinet Hinge (30"x1.5")

If I were to install it again, I would spring for some torx or robertson heads vs. philips due to stripping when I tried to use my impact driver. I did make a pilot hole with a 5/32" drill. For the drawer handles I'm using some Southco locking compression latches. Really easy to install with my hole saw kit. I will eventually replace them with the stainless steel version, but have been really sturdy so far.
Southco SC-217 Flush Locking Compression Latches.

T3ikXQB.jpg

I found a Dometic / Waeco fridge slide for only 170 bucks shipped on Amazon! It's for the 50/65 qt size slider and is about 20 dollars less than the 35-50 qt size slider on Amazon. I will add dimensions of overall footprint and the sliding basket's footprint later.

My Pelican 35QT Cooler is a little undersized so I added an aluminum sheet to the base and I have another smaller pelican for utensils / dishes that should fit neatly. Very smooth and quiet. Perfect for the poor grad student budget :).

I used #14 stainless steel wood screws to bolt it to the top of my drawers.
Amazon.com: Dometic CFX-SLD5065US CFX Slide Suited For CFX-50 / CFX-65DZ: Automotive

I think one could just barely fit a second slide of the same size and not interfere with the piano hinges.

Oh and last thing, I found these cooler / fridge straps that are made in the USA! It runs 30 bucks for a pair. A little less than the Yeti's and much better reviews when compared to the Pelican branded ones which seem to have have a bad spring.
K2 Cooler Straps
Rp8B0dC.jpg

Last edited:
Finally had a chance to stain my drawers, add the piano hinges, and swap out the black oxide screws for the stainless ones that cruzerDave was kind enough to send out! I used some leftover Minwax (Gunstock is the color) and added 2 coats of Minwax Spar Urethane. The inside of the drawers were stained with leftover ebony Minwax. Followed by 2 coats of Minwax Spar Urethane. The piano hinges work great and are stainless steel. I found them at my Lowes 16.48 (for 1) and made in Canada! I believe they are 30" in length, 1.5" in total width, and came with SS wood screws (phillips head). I still need to come up with a handle for the side wings.

If I were to install it again, I would spring for some torx or robertson heads vs. philips due to stripping when I tried to use my impact driver. I did make a pilot hole with a 5/32" drill. For the drawer handles I'm using some Southco locking compression latches. Really easy to install with my hole saw kit. I will eventually replace them with the stainless steel version, but have been really sturdy so far.

T3ikXQB.jpg

I found a Dometic / Waeco fridge slide for only 170 bucks shipped on Amazon! It's for the 50/65 qt size slider and is about 20 dollars less than the 35-50 qt size slider on Amazon. I will add dimensions of overall footprint and the sliding basket's footprint later.

My Pelican 35QT Cooler is a little undersized so I added an aluminum sheet to the base and I have another smaller pelican for utensils / dishes that should fit neatly. Very smooth and quiet. Perfect for the poor grad student budget :).

Amazon.com: Dometic CFX-SLD5065US CFX Slide Suited For CFX-50 / CFX-65DZ: Automotive

I think one could just barely fit a second slide of the same size and not interfere with the piano hinges.

Oh and last thing, I found these cooler / fridge straps that are made in the USA! It runs 30 bucks for a pair. A little less than the Yeti's and much better reviews when compared to the Pelican branded ones which seem to have have a bad spring.
K2 Cooler Straps
Rp8B0dC.jpg

Thant looks great. Nice work all around.

You should get one of the TrekBoxX tail gate covers in Richlite. Perfect for prep with the fridge right there.

Tailgate cover group buy

Thant looks great. Nice work all around.

You should get one of the TrekBoxX tail gate covers in Richlite. Perfect for prep with the fridge right there.

Tailgate cover group buy

Thanks RedRob for the suggestion! I really like the modular cushion idea! I know they make something similiar for the coolers, but Pelican wants almost 150 bucks for one!

Right now, I'm currently saving my pennies for an alternator and starter rebuild. But I'll add to my wish list!

T3ikXQB.jpg

K2 Cooler Straps
Rp8B0dC.jpg

Wow, GREAT looking install, and GREAT find on that fridge slide! Please post up some longer term use reports as I'm sure we're all anxious to hear if it holds up to trail abuse, that price point is really attractive...

Has anyone thought about cutting the wings in half and securing the front half to the top and putting a small piano hinge on the two pieces.

That way you have little doors if you will. Keeps you from having to tilt the second row forward to flip the full wings right?

How easy do these go in and out? Is it possible to only install one side at a time?

We have a big dog and his crate won't fit on top of these drawers...

How easy do these go in and out? Is it possible to only install one side at a time?

We have a big dog and his crate won't fit on top of these drawers...
@revoked they take about 10-15 minutes, mostly just because moving the full drawers and assembled skeleton are awkward, not a lot of steps though.

If one drawer would suit you better, my beta testers are receiving theirs any day and should have installs and feedback to me and the forum in a few weeks...

@revoked they take about 10-15 minutes, mostly just because moving the full drawers and assembled skeleton are awkward, not a lot of steps though.

If one drawer would suit you better, my beta testers are receiving theirs any day and should have installs and feedback to me and the forum in a few weeks...

Thanks!

I would like two but would probably have to go down to one when hauling the big dog around (fairly uncommon).

Can you simply split the top and install only one side for the dual setup?

No, sorry, different assembly and anchoring pieces. Not saying it couldn't be done by an industrious DIY'er, but definitely not out of the box.

That looks great, I like it.

Do you notice it much reflecting light in the rear while driving?

That looks great, I like it.

Do you notice it much reflecting light in the rear while driving?

Haven't noticed anything yet, but I've only put a few miles on her since I installed the drawers and threw the mat on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom