Cig lighter to Dual USB conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

92LXAZ

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm sure others have done this but in my short research session I didn't see anything specific, so hopefully some of these little details will help others.

I forgot I had a Blue Sea dual USB and found it in my toolbox. Decided to dive in after work. I've never taken the center shifter console apart as we're only coming up on two years with the rig. My wife would flip if she saw it apart. I won't go over that part, just pull up gently but firmly. Remove ashtray and pull that console out as well.

I didn't realize the back of the cig lighter looked like this...surprise! It took a bit to figure out how to get that out, turns out you just push it out through the front, quite simple. I did have to file down the opening to fit the Blue Sea through. once in and the provided screw on ring tightened up it was quite solid.

20160624_162842.jpg

With the connections at a 90 angle I had to carefully take a utility knife and split. It took a while since my knife was dull but I was also being careful not to damage any wire or cut my finger off. The other connector on the left was for the green light which I just pulled and left out as it has no place to go.

20160624_163705.jpg

Once apart I had to file down the positive blade on the USB slightly to get the connector on. The negative connector was a tad big, still went on fairly firm but just in case I put a small dab of super glue where the end met the USB. There was also a slight raised edge on the negative connector, below you can see the jagged edge where I trimmed it so it went on completely and flush with the USB.

20160624_165219.jpg

All connected and ready to reassemble.

20160624_164840.jpg

20160624_163655.jpg

Last edited:
And finally in place and powered up. Upside down? Maybe. I wanted the cover on the bottom and I don't remember if that cover swivels around. It was so hot in the garage I wanted to get it done. Oh well. I would also like to jumper so it has constant power.

20160624_165754.jpg

Thanks. I had one similar and worked fine, not low pro, may have been a bad one but never really went in snug. I had the USB laying around so figured why not. :meh::cheers:

Ugh I figured there was another. Thanks for the info.

Thanks man. It was fun if anything. Rare when I can successfully pull off a mod.

@sdnative Do you remember was your original cig connector like mine and you cut and re-wired or were they separate already?

Do you know if its 2.1A per port? Will it charge 2 iPhones/iPads at the same time?

It is 2.1 per port from my understanding.

Do you remember was your original cig connector like mine and you cut and re-wired or were they separate already?

Yes mine looked just like yours. You can see the connector in my left over pieces pile. With a small screwdriver you can pull out the internal terminals and they fit on the USB charger terminals perfectly. You will want to wrap with electrical tape or heat shrink tubing so you don't short the connector.

No cutting or splicing required.

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

Check out Blue Seas 4.8A dual USB's. That's what I have in my dash and it charges at the same speed as a wall outlet. I changed out the 2.1A dual USB that came with one of those USB + voltmeter units for the 4.8A outlet and it's totally worth it. I kept the 2.1A outlet to install in the back seat area.

Blue Seas Dual USB Outlet

...It was so hot in the garage I wanted to get it done...
Amen, brotha...

...Oh well. I would also like to jumper so it has constant power.
I had my ACC relay out an jumpered, but something on it was draining my battery after 3-4 days on non-use. So I put the relay back in and kept the jumper cable for when I go camping or out for the entire day, but might could use the charging capabilities. Now I just have to remember which terminals to jumper...

Yes mine looked just like yours. You can see the connector in my left over pieces pile. With a small screwdriver you can pull out the internal terminals and they fit on the USB charger terminals perfectly. You will want to wrap with electrical tape or heat shrink tubing so you don't short the connector.

No cutting or splicing required.

Oh ok, right on. Wish I would have upped my search game, usually pretty thorough. I may redo it later on in the year when it cools down, works so not a big deal. Thanks for that.

I had my ACC relay out an jumpered, but something on it was draining my battery after 3-4 days on non-use. So I put the relay back in and kept the jumper cable for when I go camping or out for the entire day, but might could use the charging capabilities. Now I just have to remember which terminals to jumper...

Hmm ok, maybe not worth it then. Thinking about it more I have one in my 80 always on and rarely use it. Thanks.

Check out Blue Seas 4.8A dual USB's. That's what I have in my dash and it charges at the same speed as a wall outlet. I changed out the 2.1A dual USB that came with one of those USB + voltmeter units for the 4.8A outlet and it's totally worth it. I kept the 2.1A outlet to install in the back seat area.

Blue Seas Dual USB Outlet

Oooooh, I may have to do that down the road. Didn't know about that one. I put this one in on a whim as I mentioned found it in my toolbox. But definitely will have to swap eventually. Thanks!

@92LXAZ Yeah Here is my install. I bought this Waterproof Marine Grade Dual USB + Voltmeter
61fCvoOaYDL._SL1024_.jpg

as well as this Blue Sea's Waterproof dual USB 4.8A

613zHeafgfL._SL1350_.jpg

The Blue Sea USB outlet fit perfectly and I love the ability to charge my phone at the same pace as a wall outlet and still play music via Bluetooth through my headunit. I would highly recommend this method to others who have HU's because the USB that plugs into the HU charges EXTREMELY slow. Especially since I often playing music and run my Motion X-GPS app through my iPhone at the same time. By the time I reach my desired campsite I have a 90+% battery life on my iPhone.

DSCN4647.jpg

Sweet write-up!

Thanks as I am going to do this very soon.

I also noticed that the Blue Sea 1045 you have there is a smart socket of sorts (Intelligent Device Recognition) and is capable of 4.8A total output which is good enough for two iPads.

Sweet write-up!

Thanks as I am going to do this very soon.

I also noticed that the Blue Sea 1045 you have there is a smart socket of sorts (Intelligent Device Recognition) and is capable of 4.8A total output which is good enough for two iPads.
Yes that was exactly why I decided to purchase that specific outlet - to give both myself as well as any passengers the ability to charge their phones/tablets/computers/etc. at approximately the same speed as a household outlet. Comes in very handy especially if you have a long drive to your desired destination, by the time you get to it the devices will almost be fully charged if not completely.

I see that the blue sea 1045 dual USB charger has a parasitic draw of 1 mA. Would it be okay to hook it up on the right power outlet of the lower dash and do the always on acc mod? How long would it take to drain the battery or is it negligible? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom