Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you tell me more about your AC setup?
Funny you should ask because I have been meaning to make it actually work. Right now I don't have a fan that kicks on with the AC so it will only blow cold at highway speed. Simple replay to turn on the electric fans would work but I have been so used to no AC now that I just never seem to do it.
Other than that it's a stock Dodge compressor plumbed in. I'm not using the Diesel Adapter setup. I am out of town at the moment until next week but I can get some photos of the lines from firewall to compressor when I get back in town if needed.

Yeah I was just wondering how you setup all the lines and such. I saw how CJMoon did it, special adapters and such.
If I could get my AC running for 300$ or so thatd be awesome. I had hosepower make some custom but kinda janky lines to just seal everything up but theres no schrader valves lol.

Hes running a 2nd gen cummins compressor as well so my plan was to buy a denso compressor and change out the drier and see about getting proper lines built, but he seemed to have gone to great lengths to get that sorted out. Then I need to figure out the wiring for the clutch as I cut everything in the engine bay back to short pigtails at the firewall.

Was hoping to get away with not replacing the expansion valve as I'm assuming its behind the dash with the evap core and I'm sure a PITA to get to. I will say I don't know the condition of the AC system before I swapped but I do know the system was charged, and I beleive it had been working. It was open for a while while I did the swap but I think I can get away with just blowing it out and then sucking it down.

Its been getting pretty warm here lately and this hot weather has me wanting AC pretty badly.

Last edited:
Yeah I was just wondering how you setup all the lines and such. I saw how CJMoon did it, special adapters and such.
If I could get my AC running for 300$ or so thatd be awesome. I had hosepower make some custom but kinda janky lines to just seal everything up but theres no schrader valves lol.

Hes running a 2nd gen cummins compressor as well so my plan was to buy a denso compressor and change out the drier and see about getting proper lines built, but he seemed to have gone to great lengths to get that sorted out. Then I need to figure out the wiring for the clutch as I cut everything in the engine bay back to short pigtails at the firewall.

Was hoping to get away with not replacing the expansion valve as I'm assuming its behind the dash with the evap core and I'm sure a PITA to get to. I will say I don't know the condition of the AC system before I swapped but I do know the system was charged, and I beleive it had been working. It was open for a while while I did the swap but I think I can get away with just blowing it out and then sucking it down.

Its been getting pretty warm here lately and this hot weather has me wanting AC pretty badly.
I believe mine was cut at the firewall, engine side. Then a soft line runs straight across to compressor. It runs near turbo which is probably not the greatest but it is wrapped with insulation.

I believe mine was cut at the firewall, engine side. Then a soft line runs straight across to compressor. It runs near turbo which is probably not the greatest but it is wrapped with insulation.

If you have the same set as I do, there is a special, bit of plumbing, made by diesel adapters, that uses the stock AC manifold, for high and low, from then on, you use the stock lines

If you have the same set as I do, there is a special, bit of plumbing, made by diesel adapters, that uses the stock AC manifold, for high and low, from then on, you use the stock lines
Only thing from Diesel Adapters that was used was the accessory rail and thermostat housing. Everything else was custom. I even run a different belt routing than others.

I ordered all of the parts I needed to build custom vortec-to-toyota lines from Cold Hose - AC Hoses, Hose Kits and Fittings
They were great to work with and didn't seem crazy expensive. Ended up getting compression fittings in the stock toyota hard line sizes so nothing even needed to be welded or brazed. Then cut the line to length, marked the compression fittings, and had a local AC shop crimp the ends. Worked great so far.

Was hoping to get away with not replacing the expansion valve as I'm assuming its behind the dash with the evap core and I'm sure a PITA to get to.

The evap core actually comes out quite easily.. hardest part is evacuating then recharging the system. If you are already empty and need to recharge anyway...

Just pull the glove box and lower bar that goes behind it.. then 5 or 6 10-mm bolts and nuts and it comes right out. A couple are up high and hidden but the core is designed to be removed with the main dash, blower, and distribution box in place. Then open the box and change the valve. Good opportunity to clean the core while you are in there.. i had a LOT of crap stuck in mine.

Yeah I was rethinking that whole thing. I'm sure its nasty, system is empty so I wont be lazy. Ill just pull it and replace the expansion valve and clean it all.

Only thing from Diesel Adapters that was used was the accessory rail and thermostat housing. Everything else was custom. I even run a different belt routing than others.

Oh ok I was not sure, the system he makes now is kind of nice, using the same rail as you do, but he made some plumbing to accept the stock AC manifold, and hoses, I can post a picture later

All I had to do was adapt my hi/low pressure lines from Toyota end to the end my A/C compressor needed and connected the single trigger wire. Was easy as pie.

Can you tell me more about your AC setup?

Here is mine, that is part of the Diesel Adapters kit, that bolts to the accessory rail, and you use the stock Toyota manifold, and lines, I like using stock, when you can

20170526_171256.jpg

20170526_171247.jpg

Interesting thats where my alt sits. My compressor sits below by the frame rail. Thanks for the picture.

All I had to do was adapt my hi/low pressure lines from Toyota end to the end my A/C compressor needed and connected the single trigger wire. Was easy as pie.

So I took the factory dodge lines off the compressor and had a hydraulic shop crimp them to the stock toyota lines from the condensor and from the firewall, my problem is that there are no
Schrader valves, and my concerns are that its kind of mickey mouse, I dont know if itll hold long term. I orginally had it done just to seal everything up.

New parts are on their way so I just need to figure out how to get the lines built.

See my cold hose link above. You can get all kinds of parts and hose to build whatever you need including charge ports, then take to a shop that can crimp AC lines and they will seal it up.

So I took the factory dodge lines off the compressor and had a hydraulic shop crimp them to the stock toyota lines from the condensor and from the firewall, my problem is that there are no
Schrader valves, and my concerns are that its kind of mickey mouse, I dont know if itll hold long term. I orginally had it done just to seal everything up.

New parts are on their way so I just need to figure out how to get the lines built.

Yeah I went to 3 A/C shops and found one that make custom lines for all sorts of stuff. I told them what I wanted to do and they took the stock Toyota lines and adapted them to work (with shrader valves) a year later and no issues at all.

I took all my parts down to a local AC shop/warehouse called Ranshu and they are fixing me up. Ill post a little more about it in my own build but I thank you all for the help and nudge in the right direction.

Big freak out brewing in Austin and causing all kinds of lines at the gas stations. For me it was one of the easiest fill ups ever. I looked for the station that was out of RUG. Crisis solved!
IMG_5239.JPG
IMG_5240.JPG

It’s about time for an update. I added a Wits’ End rear accessory panel yesterday. Thank you @NLXTACY for a great product. I still need to get everything working that I had hidden inside on my make shift bracket. So far I got my fridge and solar working which I needed for this weekend.
Wife had a work outing out at our river property so no time to finish. The 80 was the pack mule for her coworkers that couldn’t get their cars out to camp.
It was also the first joint journey of the 80 and 40 together due to me having to head back to normal life tomorrow.
Texas is now perfect camping weather.
4FBB9960-B239-4C29-AD9F-F47F15BF9352.jpeg
A5DDFF30-C0D3-4938-850B-121D311C459A.jpeg
B6CBDF0C-3AE0-4480-8DBD-F26BB7C5297C.jpeg

It’s about time for an update. I added a Wits’ End rear accessory panel yesterday. Thank you @NLXTACY for a great product. I still need to get everything working that I had hidden inside on my make shift bracket. So far I got my fridge and solar working which I needed for this weekend.
Wife had a work outing out at our river property so no time to finish. The 80 was the pack mule for her coworkers that couldn’t get their cars out to camp.
It was also the first joint journey of the 80 and 40 together due to me having to head back to normal life tomorrow.
Texas is now perfect camping weather.
View attachment 1563768 View attachment 1563769 View attachment 1563770
It cant get much better than that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom